Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ Montana State Bobkittens

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
    conservative. think of this. your playing at altitude. if you believe it has an effect on the body because of oxygen levels why have receivers running deep routes, the run downfield and back to the huddle will tend to "gas" them faster. why not throw short routes, less stress on the body, keeps them fresher longer. i think this was the coaching staffs thinking. good planning.
    This is exactly what I've been thinking. The altitude is always a factor against the Montana schools. They were constantly switching out players after every play. "Goedert ran down the field? Let's take him out and let him catch his breath." "Mengarelli went on a run? Take him out and let him breath." We were doing this the whole game, and I noticed it and understood it. Christion and the OL were never getting breaks, so kudos to them!
    I think the Jacks did great considering many different factors. I'll take the W and look forward to the home game against Drake. GO JACKS!!!!!
    Rollin' in my 5.0
    With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
    Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
      This is exactly what I've been thinking. The altitude is always a factor against the Montana schools. They were constantly switching out players after every play. "Goedert ran down the field? Let's take him out and let him catch his breath." "Mengarelli went on a run? Take him out and let him breath." We were doing this the whole game, and I noticed it and understood it. Christion and the OL were never getting breaks, so kudos to them!
      I think the Jacks did great considering many different factors. I'll take the W and look forward to the home game against Drake. GO JACKS!!!!!
      Don't disagree with your observation at all. One of my major concerns is that the consensus I see from most Jackrabbit fans year after year is we are okay, let's be happy with that. 8-4 with a playoff appearance is pretty darn good. We can't beat the Bison anyways.

I suppose I should just adopt that attitude as well.

I have much greater expectations for this years team. Last night did not live up to my expectations and yet I'm not the least bit surprised. Last year against Cal Poly was much more disappointing. I hope MSU played a great game and the Jacks were saving some things for conference play. Those are very distinct possibilities. I have high expectation for this team, National Championship aspirations, last night didn't live up to those for me. But what do I know?
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Did any true freshman play?

Comment

Originally posted by juniorjackgrownold View Post
          Ward got a few snaps at defensive tackle. Cavanaugh caught a pass. Seven and Urbanek were on special teams.
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I am fine with SOME conservative play calling. I didn't mean we should be aggressive all the time. I would just like to see some creativity with the offensive play calling (and defensive for that matter... Could a guy get some blitzes once in a while?!). With the advantages that Jake and Dallas bring in terms of defenses having to plan for them, there are more creative ways to get other players involved than swing passes and bubble screens.

To answer the question of whether I was talking about players or coaching, I'm definitely talking about coaching. We have the players, that's not the issue. I know that great offensive minds don't come around in the FCS too often, and if they do they don't last long. I just think that our play calling is so predictable and not creative (other than a trick play or two once a year).

Comment

Totally agree with CappinHard on this game. I haven't seen the stats but where were all the WRs and why couldn't they get open? Weineke was shut down meaning others should be open. Defense looked bad, really bad besides the first quarter. If the secondary was a strength in fall camp I sure didn't see it. Where was all the defensive line "fall camp" studs that the blogger talked about. I don't see that either. Don't measure the defense against Drake and Duquesne. Did Stig call the fake field goal? Two years ago (without Eck) this probably doesn't happen and Jacks lose the game. At times in the second half it looked like chaos with substitution on offense and late play calls thus burning time outs. Get organized and keep moment going, TOs let's the defense regroup. Ok. Turn the page and get ready for next week. A W is good but it was a ugly W.

Comment

Any injury reports? I suppose it's too early and they're getting checked out thoroughly today. Hope they all get a clean bill of health and return to the team soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                  Totally agree with CappinHard on this game. I haven't seen the stats but where were all the WRs and why couldn't they get open? Weineke was shut down meaning others should be open. Defense looked bad, really bad besides the first quarter. If the secondary was a strength in fall camp I sure didn't see it. Where was all the defensive line "fall camp" studs that the blogger talked about. I don't see that either. Don't measure the defense against Drake and Duquesne. Did Stig call the fake field goal? Two years ago (without Eck) this probably doesn't happen and Jacks lose the game. At times in the second half it looked like chaos with substitution on offense and late play calls thus burning time outs. Get organized and keep moment going, TOs let's the defense regroup. Ok. Turn the page and get ready for next week. A W is good but it was a ugly W.
                  Hi, blogger here. EVERYONE underestimated how good of a passer Murray has become. He threw some really nice balls last night. Just because you think he stinks doesn't mean he does. In regards to the pass rush, Tolu is still recovering from having his wisdom teeth removed and I have no reason why Callender wasn't in the game in the second half once MSU went away from the run. Stacker and Barrett were collapsing the interior pocket but Soulek's injury certainly hurts. No one else on the line is at his level yet.

The secondary was bad, no doubt about it. There is certainly some sort of communication or assignment issue between the safeties. They'll get it fixed.

Everyone needs to take a breath. These are the type of games we have lost in the past. We played like **** and still won. That is improvement. I'm very confident this team will peak at the right time.

Expect the Jacks to get up big next week and play subs the majority of the game. Clearly Dallas isn't 100% and I question if Jake is also a little dinged up.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                    Any injury reports? I suppose it's too early and they're getting checked out thoroughly today. Hope they all get a clean bill of health and return to the team soon.
                    Coaches don't give injury reports unless Stig slips up while talking to Merriam. You only get rumors.

Comment

Pray to God Souleks is minor

Comment

Originally posted by juniorjackgrownold View Post
                        This could easily be my biggest gripe of the game...if there were issues with the altitude why weren't we subbing more on D. My thoughts run along the coaches fear that the young guys would blow assignments and allow big plays. That happened with the veterans. No secret here, I'm a fan of Callender. Why in the name of all that is holy nutmeg isn't he out there on 3rd and 7 or more. He got in on the last series of prevent and did quite well. Ate up 2 blockers, prevented the back from squirting out, and had at least one pressure.

He's not the only one. I think as well as Backhaus and Kleinschmidt played well most times there were others when they were gassed and missing tackles, assignments. Cox was good coming in but I think 7 and 13 would've filled nicely as well.

Corner play was unacceptable but may be able to chalk it up to a bad game. At that rotate more guys in. D-line needs to get pressure, nothing new on that front. I will forever be a proponent of blitzing if necessary to bring pressure at times. I'd much rather get beat going all out versus giving the 4-5 seconds and still getting beat. I guarantee we are going to win far more than we will lose on plays like that.

Offensively...eidsness should take that blankety crossing bubble screen and throw it away or lock it up with all the other things Montana-like that should not be named. I like Wallace but his first run he pulled up and avoided contact like the plague. Easily cost us 2 yds. Daniel needs more carries. I'm good with both he a Brady in the backfield running a pseudo triple option. Rarely do you see, if ever, Wallace catch out of the backfield.

Kudos to Chase, watching that run I was reminded of one of ZZ's first td runs in the playoff game. Chase even had the same stride as Zach.

A W is a W, but if we don't figure it out we'll be lucky to go 4-4 in the Valley.
                        Last edited by Jackedforlife; 09-10-2017, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                          This could easily be my biggest gripe of the game...if there were issues with the altitude why weren't we subbing more on D. My thoughts run along the coaches fear that the young guys would blow assignments and allow big plays. That happened with the veterans. No secret here, I'm a fan of Callender. Why in the name of all that is holy nutmeg isn't he out there on 3rd and 7 or more. He got in on the last series of prevent and did quite well. Ate up 2 blockers, prevented the back from squirting out, and had at least one pressure.

He's not the only one. I think as well as Backhaus and Kleinschmidt played well most times there were others when they were gassed and missing tackles, assignments. Cox was good coming in but I think 7 and 13 would've filled nicely as well.

Corner play was unacceotable but may be able to chalk it up to a bad game. At that rotate more guys in. D-line needs to get pressure, nothing new on that front.

Offensively...eidsness should take that blankety crossing bubble screen and throw it away or lock it up with all the other things Montana-like that should not be named. I like Wallace but his first run he pulled up and avoided contact like the plague. Easily cost us 2 yds. Daniel needs more carries. I'm good with both he a Brady in the backfield running a pseudo triple option. Rarely do you see, if ever, Wallace catch out of the backfield.

Kudos to Chase, watching that run I was reminded of one of ZZ's first td runs in the playoff game. Chase even had the same stride as Zach.

A W is a W, but if we don't figure it out we'll be lucky to go 4-4 in the Valley.
                          Here is the way that I am looking at the game last night. The team played below par on both sides of the ball, had questionable playcalling/clock management, and was at altitude on a hope opener and still won. In the past this team would not have won this game and may have been blown out. The fact that they did win is a testament to the fact that they are a very good football team.

To think that this team will lose 4 games in conference this year is an overreaction. I've tried to watch all the other Valley teams this year and the only team that really scares me is the one that scares me every year, NDSU. There is a noticeable drop-off past them.

Our defense is better this year than last year. And that defense last year got us a win @NDSU and a playoff win.

Edit: Grammer
                          Last edited by SoDakJack; 09-10-2017, 02:23 PM.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

If there's anything I've learned in life being in business for myself for decades it's this... Sometimes you win big when you least expect it.. Sometimes you lose big when you least expect it... And sometimes you make the sale somehow. But the big thing I've realized is this... Being able to recover from the negatives... do better the next time around by realizing what you did wrong and practice doing it better. That's all the Jacks have to do... and I believe their fortitude and attitude will accomplish that.

Comment

The fake fg, between Vinatieri and Hale we have to have one of the most athletic ST duos around...https://twitter.com/GoJacksFB/status/906908118843457536

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                Don't disagree with your observation at all. One of my major concerns is that the consensus I see from most Jackrabbit fans year after year is we are okay, let's be happy with that. 8-4 with a playoff appearance is pretty darn good. We can't beat the Bison anyways.

I suppose I should just adopt that attitude as well.

I have much greater expectations for this years team. Last night did not live up to my expectations and yet I'm not the least bit surprised. Last year against Cal Poly was much more disappointing. I hope MSU played a great game and the Jacks were saving some things for conference play. Those are very distinct possibilities. I have high expectation for this team, National Championship aspirations, last night didn't live up to those for me. But what do I know?
                                Refuting the implication that the Jacks are pretenders is not the same as saying they are ok OR that anyone's giddy about how the game played out. The fact is that some posters are acting like the Jacks lost. Sorry not every fan is adopting a "doom and gloom" perspective.

"Saving things" like that fake FG?

What final score and/or stat line for the MSU game would prompt you to adopt a more optimistic outlook?

Comment

Working...
                                X