GDT: @ Montana State Bobkittens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ Montana State Bobkittens

I thought we looked very tight on offense and played very conservative. The defense......well needs improvement but I didn't see a whole lot of adjustments being made to help them out either. The thing that bothers me the most is MSU dictated how this game was played. But a win is a win and I will take it!

Comment

I saw a team that wants to win,and does!

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
        I saw a team that wants to win,and does!
        I saw a team that is going to get burned against a team that has a running threat QB that can throw well. This guy couldn't even throw that well and he almost (probably should have) beat us.

I saw a team that played WAY too conservative on offense. Enough with the swing passes and bubble screens. Throw the damn ball down field to the 2 best players in the FCS!!! It's one thing if it's a check down to a RB, it's another thing when it's a designed play. Speaking of designed plays... I would be very happy if we went the whole season without seeing more than 1 designed run play for TC. Honestly, with JW and DG drawing so much attention, let TC get his rushing yards by scrambling in a wide open field rather than trying to run against LBs and Safeties that are crashing down against a designed run play that they can easily read.

All in all, I thought the offensive play calling was horrid. Give some credit to MSU's defense, but the 2nd half we played not to lose instead of playing to win. That's why we lose games like that, because we don't keep the pedal to the floor and step on teams' throats. We play WAYYYY too conservative and call plays that will protect a lead rather than add to it. I realize that saying we're conservative when a fake FG won it for us may seem silly, but conservative is exactly what got us in that situation.

Please throw out the play calling from this game and go back to the play calling from the Duquesne game. I realize this was a better team, but there's no reason to play as conservative as we did. Don't wait until you're down by a TD to unleash the big three. Let them eat.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
          I saw a team that is going to get burned against a team that has a running threat QB that can throw well. This guy couldn't even throw that well and he almost (probably should have) beat us.

I saw a team that played WAY too conservative on offense. Enough with the swing passes and bubble screens. Throw the damn ball down field to the 2 best players in the FCS!!! It's one thing if it's a check down to a RB, it's another thing when it's a designed play. Speaking of designed plays... I would be very happy if we went the whole season without seeing more than 1 designed run play for TC. Honestly, with JW and DG drawing so much attention, let TC get his rushing yards by scrambling in a wide open field rather than trying to run against LBs and Safeties that are crashing down against a designed run play that they can easily read.

All in all, I thought the offensive play calling was horrid. Give some credit to MSU's defense, but the 2nd half we played not to lose instead of playing to win. That's why we lose games like that, because we don't keep the pedal to the floor and step on teams' throats. We play WAYYYY too conservative and call plays that will protect a lead rather than add to it. I realize that saying we're conservative when a fake FG won it for us may seem silly, but conservative is exactly what got us in that situation.

Please throw out the play calling from this game and go back to the play calling from the Duquesne game. I realize this was a better team, but there's no reason to play as conservative as we did. Don't wait until you're down by a TD to unleash the big three. Let them eat.
          I'll go out on a limb and say we'll go undefeated or close to it this year,maybe 1 or 2 losses.I believe in these guys,but, maybe your talking more about coaching strategies than you are about player potential,i don't know,all i know is we have the players to win,and win a lot.

Comment

I agree the swing passes and bubble screens became quickly figured out and the coaching staff should have seen this a lot sooner than they did,but as far as designated running plays,TC was looking at easily getting 5 or 6 yards on the slide numerous times but was hesitant because he focused on passing too much, and by the time he thought about running the open field collapsed and it was no longer an option to run,so he neither passed or run and that's a bad thing as the defense closes in on you.You also automatically assume being bolder with the offense is a good thing,not considering if we started throwing interceptions or even incompletes (wasted down as well as 0 yds toward a first down) and what effect that would have on our offense,stalled drives or what not.Yes the upside is a huge gain and marching downfield quicker,plus maybe forcing the secondary to play further back,opening up the run game some,or short passes.It's a gamble,but yes ,having Jake and Dallas makes it less so.I'm just happy we won against a huge hostile crowd and a pretty good team on the road.

Comment

Great 1st half, we came out on D and stuffed them 2 times. After that we didn't look special at all. Goedert had a solid 1st half, other than that I don't think him.or Jake did much to their potential, and I think the MSU D had a lot to do with that. #49 for them is a big time player, even though from what I saw, should have been booted 1Q for targeting, but that's football, glad TC is ok and was able to play the rest of the game. In my opinion, we were just flat out coached in the 2nd Half. It seemed like we made no changes and MSU made the right changes. I think and hope MSU has come a long way from their 4-7 record from a year ago, but if the Jacks are top 5 team in the nation, they need to make some serious strides before mvfc play.

Comment

OH ya,he was on the ground,what do you expect of him,jump up like superman off the ground and grab the ball.yes, it was a lucky bounce,but what's with the "situational awareness" quote,,,sorry, just trying to understand your meaning
                I'm confused because I think we actually agree on this (other than it actually being a fumble maybe). I am a fan of Mengarelli; the situational awareness was that, rather than hang his head/looking at the turf, he maintained a position that allowed him to regain possession

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  Those announcers said that they thought the Bobcats had learned a great deal from WSU game, but lines both O
                  and D didn't. Their FG kicker lost the for them,.
                  Another perspective is that the Jacks were holding them to FG attempts at distances that their kicker couldn't make. Similarly, it should make us appreciate having a kicker like Vinatieri

Comment

I 100% agree, while watching the game I saw an easy 5 yard gain on the play action bubble screen/ quick tosses to the flat. I understand that it worked the 1st half but we have to take what they give us. It seems our play calling is almost to simple like we only had 30 plays to run this game. Even Stig mentioned they need to coach better in his post game interview. This bend to break defense is frustrating to watch, it allowed a marginal passer gain confidence and momentum. I totally understand that the front 4s goal was containing the qb, but every time we made him throw on the run either threw away or threw a poor pass. I just wished we attacked the QB more. I did think we stopped there running option game very well, and our LBs did very well. Thought Dalton Cox subbed for Kleinscmit very well. Really didn't see why our corners got toasted a few times not sure if it was man or zone. In the bright side we have drake then a bye before we before we go to Ohio so lots of time to improve.
                    Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

No opinion then...hey.jus kidd'n with you,one too many you know, keep saying what you want, regardless of the **s holes! You're ok I Think I'll quit while I'm ahead,good night Jacks.
                      Given the choice between Choate and Stig, I'll take Stig with the realization that I probably should never discuss politics with him. Having said that, I can identify with some of the criticism of conservative playcalling at times (e.g., the play to Goedert where he ended up getting hurt and going to the sideline where he seemingly had no lead blocking); however, it's tough to argue that Stig rolled the dice "bigly" on the fake FG.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                        Tyler, Scotty, and Mike mentioned on the radio that the altitude may have been a factor in the Jacks getting winded. Think that theory might have any validity?
                        I definitely think it has validity, but I was a little befuddled why we weren't going deeper into our rotation on defense. Maybe I missed it, but the only true frosh I saw on the field was Xavier Ward. Didn't see any of Callander, Urbanek, or Wilson. I know there is some risk with inexperience, but at a certain point fresh youth outweighs tired experience.

Hopefully with Drake we can get the young defenders more PT so they can gain more trust with coaching staff and can be on the field in higher pressure situations.
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Comment

conservative. think of this. your playing at altitude. if you believe it has an effect on the body because of oxygen levels why have receivers running deep routes, the run downfield and back to the huddle will tend to "gas" them faster. why not throw short routes, less stress on the body, keeps them fresher longer. i think this was the coaching staffs thinking. good planning.

Comment

We get Drake next week and a bye after that. Honestly feel like this team needs it already.
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

A win is a win is a win, especially on the road, at altitude and in front a huge crowd. Exactly the outcome I expected. I've seen it enough times before.

Offense is fine, I'd like to see them target 19 a little more. Look at how MSU road 81 up and down the field. Hit the quick outs and the slants and let Jake do his thing. If they double him, which they did some, then other WR's are solid. I'd like to see more shots downfield as well but drives like the one to start the 2nd half are how you win games. Ate up 7 mins and found the end zone. THAT WAS HUGE.

Problem, once again, is the defense. Tackling is not good, in fact, horrible at times. Way too many missed tackles, over pursuing and just getting outmanned. 3rd down defense, especially 3rd and long, continues to be an issue. Don't seem to have the proper scheme or execution. Extending the drive for the opposition is the reason the Jacks D got worn down, not the altitude.

Thank goodness for the 2 week break before conference play. I'd have to say the most disappointing showing of the weekend was Missouri State with the Jackrabbit's a close 2nd. Most impressive, USD for sure with NDSU a close 2nd. Jackrabbits have some serious work to do if indeed SDSU is a top 5 program.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X