Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: YSU to start selling beer in stadium

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    Sounds like a typical SDSU game from the days in the dome and they don't sell alcohol in there.

I don't have a strong feelings one way or another. That said, I have club seats and access to the hospitality room at Frost so beer is available to me and I do partake.
    Not to be picky but are you not referring to Dana rather than Frost? I being club seater and a teetotaler for over 40 years picked an isle seat and that mean up and down for those who thirst. No big deal. I am getting to the age were you want to avoid crowds drunk or sober. If the game is on Tv, I will stay home, but that is just me. To everyone else enjoy and may you have a safe trip coming and going.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
      Alcohol very bad. He was not happy that college kids were drinking at the Jacks bash (really?). I also think this is where the increase of patrol is coming from during tailgating.
      Gotcha, well then the policy would have to be set up as to prevent underage students from partaking (as it should anyway). Beer being served in the club seats is the reason why I think the ball is already rolling and it's only a matter of time until they open it up to the whole stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
        Alcohol very bad. He was not happy that college kids were drinking at the Jacks bash (really?). I also think this is where the increase of patrol is coming from during tailgating.
        Being the president of SDSU is not an easy job, even though he gets paid big bucks. He has the responsibility of all the students and making sure their welfare is maintained in a safe manner. It is easy to think that college presidents are greedy and anxious to make dollars but not in President Dunn case. If this option is all about making money, then there are big risks involved including students and fans. If our leader does not want these risks then I respect him.

Comment

I don't have super strong feelings either way.

There are real and legitimate reasons not to allow it, despite what many here say.

From what I can see, there is 1 benefit for the university: money. That is the only reason it would be considered. Personally, I appreciate institutions (especially those run by the government) whose motivation for policy goes beyond money.

From what I can see, there is 1 benefit for the fans: the ability to inebriate yourself. I like to do that myself, so it isn't that I'm a teetotaler or anything.

If SDSU were to have beer sales, I would be more likely to leave kids at home. That's just me, I'm sure many here think that is ridiculous. That's fine, its a free country. I already leave the kids home for all but a couple games a year, but that is mostly due to cost.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            I don't have super strong feelings either way.

There are real and legitimate reasons not to allow it, despite what many here say.

From what I can see, there is 1 benefit for the university: money. That is the only reason it would be considered. Personally, I appreciate institutions (especially those run by the government) whose motivation for policy goes beyond money.

From what I can see, there is 1 benefit for the fans: the ability to inebriate yourself. I like to do that myself, so it isn't that I'm a teetotaler or anything.

If SDSU were to have beer sales, I would be more likely to leave kids at home. That's just me, I'm sure many here think that is ridiculous. That's fine, its a free country. I already leave the kids home for all but a couple games a year, but that is mostly due to cost.
            just do something like the twins do. If I am not mistaken certain sections are family friendly and no alcohol is allowed in those sections. You could make a few sections on the on the east side. that would help ease concerns about kids at games that serve alcohol. If they did that we would probably get the family sections just because your around other people who wont get as annoyed with kids around. Some fans are great and nice to the kids when we are at games and some have been less then friendly. Nothing that would stop up from bringing kids.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
              I agree that having alcohol available at a game in a nice perk and most fans will enjoy so responsibly. However, the semi final nights of the men's tournament the last 2 years came real close to having some major beer related incidents.

Two years ago it was avoided by the leading free throw shooter in the conference missing the front end of a one and one that could have given Denver the victory and likely led to a near riot. Several SDSU fans were visibly upset with some of the calls late in the game and tournament officials were worried about crowd control had SDSU lost the game.

Last year (in the game I would like to forget) when Orris the winning shot for SDSU, a SDSU fan was half way over the bleacher railing behind press row headed to the court before he was stopped by an alert SDSU official. There was still time left on the clock and had he made it on the court it would have put the referees in a difficult position.
              I guess i missed all of the above. Ive been to every Summit Tourney since it came to SF and have never seen anyone out of control.

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
                I agree that having alcohol available at a game in a nice perk and most fans will enjoy so responsibly. However, the semi final nights of the men's tournament the last 2 years came real close to having some major beer related incidents.

Two years ago it was avoided by the leading free throw shooter in the conference missing the front end of a one and one that could have given Denver the victory and likely led to a near riot. Several SDSU fans were visibly upset with some of the calls late in the game and tournament officials were worried about crowd control had SDSU lost the game.

Last year (in the game I would like to forget) when Orris the winning shot for SDSU, a SDSU fan was half way over the bleacher railing behind press row headed to the court before he was stopped by an alert SDSU official. There was still time left on the clock and had he made it on the court it would have put the referees in a difficult position.
                Unfortunately, it has been my experience that those "fans" are just as belligerent without the beer.

I think that it is another great way to generate gameday revenue. If people are unable to hold their alcohol, then they aren't suited to be ticket holders. You get one warning and then you lose your seats to all Jackrabbit sports. I don't mind people drinking, but I also can't stand idiots.
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                  Unfortunately, it has been my experience that those "fans" are just as belligerent without the beer.

I think that it is another great way to generate gameday revenue. If people are unable to hold their alcohol, then they aren't suited to be ticket holders. You get one warning and then you lose your seats to all Jackrabbit sports. I don't mind people drinking, but I also can't stand idiots.
                  That usually is the problem when the 2 mix.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post

The idiots you are referring are problem drinkers and they have more problems then behaving at a ball game. I would say that currently in the club section where beer is currently served most of the fans are responsible, it just that they seem to keep going back and forth and I sit on the end seat of the row. Otherwise I dont see any problems and so far everyone seems to behave in a responsible manner.

Comment

Working...
                    X