Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Duquesne Dukes

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
    Nah, the bear jumped on TC's back, that's why he didn't score. I agree with you that the play wasn't luck, it was a result of our receiver talent running everybody off.
    True, He was gassed at the end of the play but I think had Lewis stuck with his guy TC skirts in to the end zone. Oh well, leave it to me to find a way to complain about a 90yd run. lol

Comment

Our defense is really, really, really fast guys.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
        I know it's was only one game, but Callender and Cavanaugh look like they could be athletic freaks. I can't wait to see what happens to them after a year of playing in the Valley and a full year in a college weight room.
        Callender puts on 25-30lbs and he will be unstoppable. Cavanaugh is playing not because we are short on TE he is very good. Seven and Noah are impact players already on a very good team. I wonder with Weir's injury if Gruetzmacher dresses now? Miller and Lickiss did very well too. Ward held his own, did Krockett get in?

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
          How about the R&B duo of Rozeboom & Backhaus? Pretty fun to watch.
          Backhaus was an active participant. He should be getting regular attention alongside of Rozenboom. That is great to see that spot filled firmly.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

A few thoughts worth what you're paying for them:

- The offense: They are who we thought they were. Definitely room for polish, but they dominated as expected.
            - The Wizard: With the emergence of Goedert last season, I felt that Wieneke was getting a little overshadowed. He reminded us that he's still on the team.
            - The Beast of Britton: Speaking of Goedert, 2 catches for 43 yards. Their 3-4 might have made it harder for him to get open, and it wouldn't surprise me if they were keying on him more. I'm not worried about him.
            - Douglas: Despite having a big lead and no pressure, Douglas showed poise and competency running the offense. I think we have a solid veteran backup with him.
            - Highlight for the offense: 11 play TD drive in the 2nd quarter. While we are capable of big plays, we ground it out and bent them to our will.

- The defense: Playing like they have something to prove.
            - Front seven: Brought the energy and were swarming to the ball. The effectiveness of our run-d really put a wrench in their game plan.
            - Soulek: Played like the senior leader we expect him to be.
            - Rozeboom: Any thoughts that this year would be a step back because of graduating two Senior linebackers was put to rest. He was active all night. I think he settled any disputes on the Jerry Rice award.

Comment

Great opening game! About what I expected/wanted to see out of this game. We gained some needed experience for the younger guys and it is now time to move on to Montana State for a step up in competition.

Student turn-out was incredible. I hope they keep that up all year, because they do make a huge difference! Did they do an organized walk from somewhere on campus to the stadium? Other than that, I'm not getting too hung up on the overall attendance, I found myself struggling to get overly excited for this opponent.

Comment

One more thing, Mengarelli has unreal balance, he's like a damn ninja or a cat the way he always lands and stays on his feet.

Anyways, here's the highlights...

Comment

Backhaus was my highlight of the game. He played really well and flashed many times.

As others have mentioned, Callendar is going to be very good. I was excited about him before he stepped on the field, I am even more excited now. I am still slightly concerned about our interior DL outside of Soulek, but the rest of our Defense seems to be very good and very fast.

Fun to see Mullholland get in toward the end of the game. He looked like a waterbug out there, going to be fun seeing him develop.

Hats off to Douglas, he came in and played very well, making some nice throws.

Wilde was the star of the 2nd team offense, imo. We are very deep at WR.

TC was a bit off on some throws, but I love his willingness to throw it up and let guys go get it, even if that results in some under throws, as long as they're to JW or DG. Early in his career he wasn't as willing to just toss it up, he wanted to throw lasers everywhere.

LOVE the offensive play calling. When we were struggling a little on offense to start, someone said "how about we just run some normal plays?!". I almost turned to him and said "no, this is what we need, this offense is designed for the talent we have and will make the field wide open for the 'normal plays' later".

Not much more a guy can say about Jake... just fun taking it in. Not worried about Dallas. Overall, it looks like it's going to be a special year.

Comment

Here are my "Rants and Raves" https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...uesne.html?m=1
                    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Did what we should have done to that opponent. Our offense wasn't sharp early but was able to connect on big plays that put Duquesne in a hole early.

I'm hoping TC inaccuracies is rust and not a continuation of some of his issues late last year. IMO, he gets bailed out by his receivers more than he should. Maybe it's nitpicking but in order for the team to reach their goals we need TC to be elite.

Also, the TV guys mentioned Goedert gained a bunch of weight (think they said he was 240 last year). They mentioned he's listed at 260 lbs but close to 270 lbs. Does that actually help him? Is it possible to maintain your speed and agility while gaining that much weight?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        Also, the TV guys mentioned Goedert gained a bunch of weight (think they said he was 240 last year). They mentioned he's listed at 260 lbs but close to 270 lbs. Does that actually help him? Is it possible to maintain your speed and agility while gaining that much weight?
                        Yes, but depends on how much weight gained was muscle mass vs. fat mass. Athletes I work with I tell them if they are gaining weight I want that ratio to be 2:1 or better yet 3:1 ratio (muscle to fat mass). You can definitely put bad weight on. I always have a hard time w/ some Offensive Lineman gaining so much weight in their 1st year.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          Yes, but depends on how much weight gained was muscle mass vs. fat mass. Athletes I work with I tell them if they are gaining weight I want that ratio to be 2:1 or better yet 3:1 ratio (muscle to fat mass). You can definitely put bad weight on. I always have a hard time w/ some Offensive Lineman gaining so much weight in their 1st year.
                          I guess I have to think Goedert put on good weight.

Comment

My throughts, TV seems a little off on his throws and the WR really helped him out making some impressive catches. I think he could have scored but didn't really want to risk the shot on the sideline of a player coming full steam. I think he let up because he didn't need to score and take a big hit trying.

I know our passing game gets a lot of attention, but I am really excited to see what the RBs can bring. I think we could have a really great balanced offense. Defense sure played and look intense.

the dukes sure looks over matched. They might be a good NEC team but would be lucky to win a game or two in the MVFC.

REally looking forward to the Montana state game. Should be a better game and nice to see how this team handles a good road environment. Now only 8 days to wait till the next game.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Coach Stig acknowledged after the game that Goedert had suffered a minor injury (calf?) last week and played selectively against the Dukes. Hopefully, that won't be a nagging type injury.

A bigger concern might be right tackle. First, Matt Clark gets suspended for half the season. Now Tyler Weir injured his leg. A true freshman could be filling that spot for a while.

Attendance was approximately 12,200. Not bad for a week night against a team that didn't bring any fans.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                                Coach Stig acknowledged after the game that Goedert had suffered a minor injury (calf?) last week and played selectively against the Dukes. Hopefully, that won't be a nagging type injury.

A bigger concern might be right tackle. First, Matt Clark gets suspended for half the season. Now Tyler Weir injured his leg. A true freshman could be filling that spot for a while.

Attendance was approximately 12,200. Not bad for a week night against a team that didn't bring any fans.
                                I believe they had a dozen fans or so versus other teams that may bring a few hundred to a thousand(not incl. the Bison). They had an alum that came that was very impressed with the team, facilities, coaches and fans.

I have to think Genant slides out to tackle for the forseeable future and a young gun steps in at guard. Whether that is Miller or Domandle remains to be seen. Again, truly impressed with how all the true/rs freshman played. They are bringing depth and athleticism into the organization. I was impressed with our special teams coverage as well. There seemed to be a different buzz, and every man out there, D or Special teams was flying to the ball. The only solo tackle I think was Kellen's sack. Which was impressive, straight out bulled in there.

Comment

Working...
                                X