Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Preseason stuff...Mike Daum

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
    No...no he isn't. I wouldn't even put him in the top 20 athletically.
    I am entitled to my own opinion and I stand by my statement. I don't want a pis@ing match

Comment

I would agree that he is probably not the "most athletic" SDSU has seen, but I would think a good case could be made for Daum to be at least in the running for "best athlete" SDSU has ever had - - - if you consider the mental and practice/preparation parts of the game to be part of what makes a great athlete great . . . not just raw physical athletic ability.

Of such discussions are additional rounds of beverages generally required.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Perhaps I overstated Daum athletic ability. He definitely is going to break some records before leaves. His size makes him a candidate for the NBA. Whether he plays a fourth season at SDSU remains to be seen. I do think that we have a great bunch of recruits that will replace his greatness very quickly and you might hear me say Mike "Who"?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Perhaps I overstated Daum athletic ability. He definitely is going to break some records before leaves. His size makes him a candidate for the NBA. Whether he plays a fourth season at SDSU remains to be seen. I do think that we have a great bunch of recruits that will replace his greatness very quickly and you might hear me say Mike "Who"?
          Mike may not be a great athlete using the traditional measureables like speed, quickness and leaping ability. But there are many great athletes that are not great basketball players. And Mike definitely is a great basketball player, which is plenty good enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            Mike may not be a great athlete using the traditional measureables like speed, quickness and leaping ability. But there are many great athletes that are not great basketball players. And Mike definitely is a great basketball player, which is plenty good enough for me.
            Exactly, I am hardly a judge of talent, but I think as fans we should prepare for three seasons of Mike Daum if he graduates in spring of 2018.

Comment

Agree. Seems like a dumb argument. If Mike doesn't end up being the best basketball player ever at SDSU he will very high on the list. Can he jump the highest, run the fastest, have the quickest first step, or some other metric that might make him the greatest athlete ever? Who cares. Would you rather have a freak athlete or a great basketball player?

Comment

Andre Gilbert comes to mind...
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  Agree. Seems like a dumb argument. If Mike doesn't end up being the best basketball player ever at SDSU he will very high on the list. Can he jump the highest, run the fastest, have the quickest first step, or some other metric that might make him the greatest athlete ever? Who cares. Would you rather have a freak athlete or a great basketball player?
                  The best example of a great basketball player who was far from a great athlete probably would be Larry Bird. Mike will likely not reach that level, but there are some similarities to their games.

Comment

Wow, just looked back over the last few pages of this thread. What a roller coaster. The last couple pages are interesting and would be fun in a different thread. Will start one there and let it go.

Maybe we can get this one back on track.

Would like to take a moment and thank filbert for the way he runs this board. Internet forums can be totally off the rails, just look at Bisonville, although they have improved things over the last couple years. I totally agree with the path taken when it comes to naming sources in the instances mentioned. Thanks for all you do!

Onward and upward!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Mike Daum makes preseason honorable mention for All America voting here.
                      http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.c...merican-teams/
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Argus article regarding Daum's future as a Jackrabbit after this year:

http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...ram/773528001/

Comment

Daum checks in at #26.

Can the season start?? Man...it still seems so far away.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Daum checks in at #17 on this top 100 list. Wow... this hype train might be out of control at this point. Crazy how much respect he's getting. If we make the tournament and makes some noise, I can't imagine the hype he'll get next year.

https://www.sbnation.com/a/ncaa-top-100-2017

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                              Daum checks in at #17 on this top 100 list. Wow... this hype train might be out of control at this point. Crazy how much respect he's getting. If we make the tournament and makes some noise, I can't imagine the hype he'll get next year.

https://www.sbnation.com/a/ncaa-top-100-2017
                              All it means as far as I'm concerned is that his teammates need to raise their level of play to match his.

(No pressure, guys!)
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                                All it means as far as I'm concerned is that his teammates need to raise their level of play to match his.

(No pressure, guys!)
                                If reed can play the 3 I expect him to have a big year.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X