WNAX Contract extended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WNAX Contract extended

Announced Friday, Aug 11: broadcasting rights for Jacks games and shows extended five more years.

The story on GoJacks.com notes the SDSU/WNAX relationship "spans" 50 years. I recall that in the not-too-distant past, WNAX went to the dark side and broadcast USD games but I think that was for just one season, maybe two. Anyone remember when that was? My guess is the 1999 to 2003 range. I'm not certain.

Re: WNAX Contract extended

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Announced Friday, Aug 11: broadcasting rights for Jacks games and shows extended five more years.

The story on GoJacks.com notes the SDSU/WNAX relationship "spans" 50 years. I recall that in the not-too-distant past, WNAX went to the dark side and broadcast USD games but I think that was for just one season, maybe two. Anyone remember when that was? My guess is the 1999 to 2003 range. I'm not certain.
    It was when Harry Forsyth was still AD. My guess would be 1986-87. A booster and alum, John Gross, from Madison gave a generous contribution to get them back. After two years, USD could not afford what WNAX wanted for renewal. Or more honestly they did not get their money worth. I thought it odd that we paid WNAX rather then WNAX paying SDSU for broadcasting rights. AD Oien told me the big advantage was that SDSU could then sell advertising which if they sold the broadcasting rights, they could sell none. So this was a wise move.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 08-14-2017, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Re: WNAX Contract extended

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      It was when Harry Forsyth was still AD. My guess would be 1986-87. A booster and alum, John Gross, from Madison gave a generous contribution to get them back. After two years, USD could not afford what WNAX wanted for renewal. Or more honestly they did not get their money worth. I thought it odd that we paid WNAX rather then WNAX paying SDSU for broadcasting rights. AD Oien told me the big advantage was that SDSU could then sell advertising which if they sold the broadcasting rights, they could sell none. So this was a wise move.
      No doubt many changes from the mid 1980's and with Leerfield involved, the terms of this contract are probably very different. What I mentioned in the prior post as told to me by Dr. Oien is no doubt now dated material, but that is how it previously worked. The GoJacks article did not give any terms of how the current contract is to work, but the fact that SDSU seems to controll the advertising suggests to me that we are probably still paying WNAX. Anyone Else?

Comment

Working...
      X