total solar eclipse 2017 (8-21 -17) in sioux falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• total solar eclipse 2017 (8-21 -17) in sioux falls

This event is creating quite a buzz,the first event of this kind in 38 yrs,starting at 11:37 AM,lasting 2 hrs 48 min.We don't get the full 100% view of the sun being eclipsed ,but very much of it ,we are pretty close to the path of totality.Enjoy experiencing a rare event ,but do NOT look directly at the sun while its occurring as doing so can damage your eyes or cause blindness.There are indirect ways to witness,I've provided a link that has a nice simulation also,should get pretty dark out at around 1 PM....enjoy.
    Link: https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/sioux-falls
    Last edited by jackdaniel; 08-13-2017, 11:05 PM.

Re: total solar eclipse 2017 (8-21 -17) in sioux falls

Sioux Falls gets a partial eclipse, which is cool. I saw one off of Australia a few years ago. One easy thing to do is use a "pinhole telescope". A couple of empty 12-pack soft drink boxes and some duct tape will fix you up with one of those.

But a total eclipse is, from everything I've heard, an entirely different animal. The path of totality goes through Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri (Alliance NE, Grand Island NE, St. Joseph MO, Boonville MO and onwards).

My house is maybe two or three miles south of the south edge of the total eclipse . . . we're going to pack a picnic lunch, get in the car and drive somewhere (dependent on cloudiness forecast) the day of. We'll probably find a wide spot on some back road somewhere. They're hyping St. Joseph big time and I expect that will be a complete utter zoo, so I'm headed for the back roads.

To get to the path of the total eclipse from SD, you'll have to go south on I-29 to basically the Missouri border, or down US 77 to the northern edge of Lincoln, NE, or down US 81 to around Stromsburg, NE. Or, the legendary town of Thedford, NE is just inside the northern edge of totality on US 83 headed for North Platte (which is maybe five miles inside the southern edge). The eclipse misses the southwest corner of SD by maybe 10 miles.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'm in the path in totality down here in Nebraska. Took the day off of work and heading to a friends house in the country for the viewing.

Comment

Wife really wants to see it so I've put in for the day off to go down to at least Sioux Falls. Maybe surprise her and go down to Lincoln to see the full thing. We'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
          Wife
          Wife???

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
            Wife???
            you seem confused by this concept? this is what google has to say about it, maybe this will help you.

wife

/wīf/

noun

noun: wife; plural noun: wives

a married woman considered in relation to her spouse.

synonyms: spouse, partner, life partner, mate, consort, woman, helpmate, helpmeet, bride; More
            informalold lady, wifey, better half, other half, missus, ball and chain, significant other

"after seventeen years, he was still madly in love with his wife"

•the wife of a person with a specified occupation.
            "a faculty wife"

•archaicdialect
            a woman, especially an old or uneducated one.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
              Wife???
              Oh yeah, about that....text her lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

We too live in the path of the total eclipse. What I find interesting is the projections for the number of people coming and the money people are making because of it. A coworker has rented out his house for $2,500 for four nights. His North Platte home is on the edge of the pathway like mine is. Another coworker has a mom that manages a grocery store in Beatrice. They expect their town to more than triple in population for the weekend and thru Monday.

I know these things can happen as we used to live near Rapid City and the Rally flooded the Hills for two weeks. However, I have a hard time visualizing this mass of people spread out over the 70 mile swath that will traverse the state of Nebraska. It's not like Nebraska is the only place to see the eclipse. It will be a fun novelty, but I hope it doesn't become a headache with a mass of people.

Comment

Working...
                X