Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
    More NDSU fans would drive up for a weekend semifinal/title game. Harder to pull if off on a weeknight, those are the games that matter and should be on the weekend. For NDSU fans the current tournament is horrible, I've had an easier time going to Frisco because it doesn't involve taking multiple days off.

Right now the schedule is very strange. We might play Saturday, play nobody on Sunday, then Monday and Tuesday. The MVC is the model to copy, it is the standard for a mid-major neutral site tournament....It is Thursday-Sunday and really only the bottom tier teams play on Thursday night.
    Id be for a Thurday-Sunday Summit Tourney. Do the womens final at noon and the mens final at 5 or 6 or whenever ESPN wants us to.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
      I'm not sure about the point of view about wanting the MVFC and the MVC schools that have football to go together ? Those 2 conferences are totally different animals and post season in the 2 sports (FB and BB) are completely different. I understand people may want to have 1 conference for all sports but it doesn't always work that way. I like the idea of finding the best conference per the sport. If this merger were to happen and wrestling became involved would you want to jump from the Big 12? Not me.
      If the MVFC schools had a basketball conference on their own, that would be stronger than the Summit or the MVC now, without a doubt. I don't care that we would have both FB and BB in technically the "same conference", it's just that the MVFC has quality schools that would also make a really good basketball conference and you could build rivalries playing in both football and basketball. Wrestling would not have to change and likely wouldn't because MVC doesn't have wrestling anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        If the MVFC schools had a basketball conference on their own, that would be stronger than the Summit or the MVC now, without a doubt. I don't care that we would have both FB and BB in technically the "same conference", it's just that the MVFC has quality schools that would also make a really good basketball conference and you could build rivalries playing in both football and basketball. Wrestling would not have to change and likely wouldn't because MVC doesn't have wrestling anyway.
        I hear what yor sayin Cappin but let's pretend FB was the same as BB as far as the playoffs. If only the outright conference champion in FB (because a tourney wouldn't work) made the playoffs how many would we have been in? Making the post season for each sport increases enthusiasm and support for the programs.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
          Id be for a Thurday-Sunday Summit Tourney. Do the womens final at noon and the mens final at 5 or 6 or whenever ESPN wants us to.
          Would probably help the SDSU or USD womens team attendance if the womens final was on sunday too. Its great any away as long as SDSU is there, but a sunday game would pull in more for sure. I know a lot of SDSU fans who work so don't make the SDSU womens final but will be there for the mens final.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I hear what yor sayin Cappin but let's pretend FB was the same as BB as far as the playoffs. If only the outright conference champion in FB (because a tourney wouldn't work) made the playoffs how many would we have been in? Making the post season for each sport increases enthusiasm and support for the programs.
            So you would rather be in a weak conference where you were always on top, but if you make the tournament, you're lucky to get a 13 seed... Instead of a strong conference that would raise our overall level of play, likely raise attendance, and therefore income, and if we made the tournament we could get a 10-12 seed?

Comment

So you would rather be in a weak conference where you were always on top, but if you make the tournament, you're lucky to get a 13 seed... Instead of a strong conference that would raise our overall level of play, likely raise attendance, and therefore income, and if we made the tournament we could get a 10-12 seed?
              Short answer is yes but mainly because I'm not sure the other things you mention would actually happen in a so called stronger conference. That is the life of a mid major conference. I'm still not sure if the FB program would be in as good of shape as it is with no playoff appearances.

Comment

Short answer is yes but mainly because I'm not sure the other things you mention would actually happen in a so called stronger conference. That is the life of a mid major conference. I'm still not sure if the FB program would be in as good of shape as it is with no playoff appearances.
                Whew, glad we didn't take that mentality when we looked at possibly moving from DII to DI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

All we have to do is yeild a strong team and whip some **s in the NCAA Tournament once in awhile and it doesn't matter at all whether we are in a strong conference or a weak one ,one bit does it.That's jus the way it really is in sports,cutting to the chase.You are who you are.You still have to show them you are better than they are,no matter where you came from.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                    All we have to do is yeild a strong team and whip some **s in the NCAA Tournament once in awhile and it doesn't matter at all whether we are in a strong conference or a weak one ,one bit does it.That's jus the way it really is in sports,cutting to the chase.You are who you are.You still have to show them you are better than they are,no matter where you came from.
                    Yes.

Comment

whip some **s in the NCAA Tournament once in awhile
                      There is not much of a chance of that when you're consistently pulling 14-16 seeds.

Comment

There is not much of a chance of that when you're consistently pulling 14-16 seeds.
                        There is even less of a chance if you never get there at all. In all seriousness the only thing I would hate to see is for us to lose any mid major conferences. The best part of the dance is the little guy has a chance however slim it may be. We are the little guy and that will not change if we are in the Summit or MVC.

Comment

So you don't think that the toughness of the scheduling for the football team hasn't had an effect in upping the level of the team?

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Yes,it's harder with a poor seed,but you still have to have a good team to win games in the NCAA Tournament,16 seed? Have we ever been a 16 seed? Even a 7 seed like we were in 08-09 (WBB), we only got one easy game (10 seed),very next game was #2 seed Baylor, we barely lost by 2 pts. We did just as good as a 12 seed against #5 Miami two seasons ago, then lost the heartbreaker to #4 seed Stanford by 1 pt. If you have the team, you can meet the challenge is what I'm say'n, we've come agonizingly close (WBB)to a sweet 16 a couple times already in our brief time as a Div 1 program. There are lots of programs that have been Div 1 much longer than we have who haven't sniffed near the success we have had in the relatively short period of time we've been playing Div 1 basketball.
                            Last edited by jackdaniel; 08-09-2017, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                              So you don't think that the toughness of the scheduling for the football team hasn't had an effect in upping the level of the team?

Where do you get this from ,I never commented anything about the football team and their scheduling, but,to answer your question, then I'd be inclined to answer that as yes,it helps.In basketball though,you can do that (schedule tough games) in your 13 games you play OOC.

Comment

Yes,it's harder with a poor seed,but you still have to have a good team to win games in the NCAA Tournament,16 seed? Have we ever been a 16 seed?.
                                SDSU was a 16 seed in the NCAA tournament this year!

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=400946449

Comment

Working...
                                X