Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

First and foremost I'll introduce myself. I am a fan of Indiana State and there have been talks of the league going to 12. I've thought for a long time that SDSU and NDSU make the most sense. Both schools are great at football and have been pretty good in basketball as well. I started a similar poll on the NDSU forum (Bisonville) just now as well.

I already know the opinions of the Murray State people (they want in). I started this same poll on the Oral Roberts and Northern Kentucky board as well. ORU fans want in (16-2 Yes) and apparently Northern Kentucky doesn't have much of a fanbase (2-2), so I'm not really all that high on them.

The poll is just kind of for fun. I have no idea if SDSU (and NDSU) will even be considered, but I think you guys definitely should be. And with the Summit League tournament being so close, and having all 4 Dakota schools in the same conference, I'm not even sure if you guys would be in support of a move to the MVC anymore.

As I said on the NDSU board the two options I favor the most are SDSU and NDSU; or Murray State and Oral Roberts. I honestly don't have a preference, I just want it to be one or the other. I don't support any other two combos at this point. Any other combo is a let down in my opinion.
    Yes
    39.53%
    No
    60.47%

Re: Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

Why would we move to MVC in a couple short years the Summit will be stronger than the MVC and teams will be looking to get into the Summit.
    Originally posted by mvfcfan View Post
    First and foremost I'll introduce myself. I am a fan of Indiana State and there have been talks of the league going to 12. I've thought for a long time that SDSU and NDSU make the most sense. Both schools are great at football and have been pretty good in basketball as well. I started a similar poll on the NDSU forum (Bisonville) just now as well.

I already know the opinions of the Murray State people (they want in). I started this same poll on the Oral Roberts and Northern Kentucky board as well. ORU fans want in (16-2 Yes) and apparently Northern Kentucky doesn't have much of a fanbase (2-2), so I'm not really all that high on them.

The poll is just kind of for fun. I have no idea if SDSU (and NDSU) will even be considered, but I think you guys definitely should be. And with the Summit League tournament being so close, and having all 4 Dakota schools in the same conference, I'm not even sure if you guys would be in support of a move to the MVC anymore.

As I said on the NDSU board the two options I favor the most are SDSU and NDSU; or Murray State and Oral Roberts. I honestly don't have a preference, I just want it to be one or the other. I don't support any other two combos at this point. Any other combo is a let down in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu2000 View Post
      in a couple short years the Summit will be stronger than the MVC and teams will be looking to get into the Summit.
      [citation needed]
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I agree that the Summit ill be stronger than the MVC in a year or two, or maybe even this year. With Wichita State leaving the conference, I would think that really hurts any chance of us joining. As it stands right now, leaving the Summit for MVC would essentially be a lateral move at best. I highly doubt SDSU would give up a conference with the Summit championships in Sioux Falls, and a conference with NDSU, USD, UND (soon), and UNO all in it. In my opinion, the MVC is just not as appealing as it would've been 2-5 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsuceegrad View Post
          I agree that the Summit ill be stronger than the MVC in a year or two, or maybe even this year. With Wichita State leaving the conference, I would think that really hurts any chance of us joining. As it stands right now, leaving the Summit for MVC would essentially be a lateral move at best. I highly doubt SDSU would give up a conference with the Summit championships in Sioux Falls, and a conference with NDSU, USD, UND (soon), and UNO all in it. In my opinion, the MVC is just not as appealing as it would've been 2-5 years ago.
          Precisely!! Besides hosting SL tourney would no longer be.

Comment

I'd prefer to create two strong leagues. A football oriented league (MVFC - YSU), and let the non-football schools have the residual. Only possible adds of value would be Denver, and ORU, although ORU has recently been a drag in all sports not Baseball.

Comment

I think the MVFC schools need to figure out which horse they want to go with (Summit or MVBC), and go from there. The Summit and MVBC seem to be on even ground right now, with the power leaning toward the Summit. I would be all for UNI, ISUr, ISUb, MSU and SIU joining the Summit league. In reality, it will all get figured out when the Power 5 go on their own and football conferences get mixed up, it will affect the basketball conferences too. I think this is why you see teams reluctant to make changes right now, because they know there are big changes coming.

Comment

Guys how in the world is the Summit stronger when we can't keep members from going to conferences that the MVC raids? Someone answer that for me please.

I personally would like the ability for SDSU to be in a conference that isn't always teetering on the edge of the abyss every couple of years. Staying in the Summit just for the SL tourney is incredibly short sighted IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                  Guys how in the world is the Summit stronger when we can't keep members from going to conferences that the MVC raids? Someone answer that for me please.

I personally would like the ability for SDSU to be in a conference that isn't always teetering on the edge of the abyss every couple of years. Staying in the Summit just for the SL tourney is incredibly short sighted IMO.

One could argue that the MVC could supplant us as the conference teetering on the edge. I believe the strength of the Summit is just beginning to build. The programs get stronger and the Basketball tourney is incredibly consistent for both men and women. the strength of the Dakota schools in most sports helps create the cornerstone.. Just keep up the success and excitement and watch it grow. Revenue will begin to follow.

Comment

Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                    One could argue that the MVC could supplant us as the conference teetering on the edge. I believe the strength of the Summit is just beginning to build. The programs get stronger and the Basketball tourney is incredibly consistent for both men and women. the strength of the Dakota schools in most sports helps create the cornerstone.. Just keep up the success and excitement and watch it grow. Revenue will begin to follow.
                    Sure you could, but not very well. so who are we replacing the Indiana schools with that are so desirable then? IPFW likely leaves next year, and we just lost one of the conferences founding members. So that's two we need to replace. UMKC is not how to improve the conference.

Here's the thing I've said before. All of us xdsu fans look and compare the relative strengths of the Summit vs the MVC with the xDSUs in the Summit. That's not an accurate equation then. If you're going to compare the conferences you need to compare both conferences either without the xDSUs or with the xDSUs. So the Summit is just getting to be on par with the MVC with xDSUs right? Now put us in the MVC. The MVC would be better, and it's not close. The xDSUs have brought the quality of their conferences up drastically no matter what one they are in. Now what conference has the higher ceiling do you think? Probably the one with a bunch of programs that dump money into their teams and have a past history of winning in the tourney and being nationally ranked.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                      Sure you could, but not very well. so who are we replacing the Indiana schools with that are so desirable then? IPFW likely leaves next year, and we just lost one of the conferences founding members. So that's two we need to replace.
                      Who are you referring to when you say we just lost a founding member? IUPUI? The conference was formed in 1982 and IUPUI did not join until 1998. Western Illinois has been the only founding member since Valpo left in 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                        Who are you referring to when you say we just lost a founding member? IUPUI? The conference was formed in 1982 and IUPUI did not join until 1998. Western Illinois has been the only founding member since Valpo left in 2007.
                        Man, my bad. Thought I heard that in a podcast I had listened to. Anyways, losing a conference member of almost 20 years isn't much better.

Comment

Maybe it's just me but losing iupui and ipfw is a good thing in the long run. Like losing centenary. That's why I think it would actually be smart for teams like uni and a few others to consider the summit in the near future.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            Maybe it's just me but losing iupui and ipfw is a good thing in the long run. Like losing centenary. That's why I think it would actually be smart for teams like uni and a few others to consider the summit in the near future.
                            I guess I really don't understand why people seem to think we need to have this ultra power conference full of top teams?

Comment

Why not a merger? I don't have time to compare schedules, but it doesn't appear UNI, for example had a much better time scheduling quality OOC opponents in Cedar Rapids, with a big exception being the MVC/MW challenge. I assume most Summit and MVC schools are in the same boat unless a DI OOC for can bus to their gym. Play a big conference slate and throw in a few suicide road games against P5 schools and a neutral site tourney here and there and, boom, no more Presentation.

Comment

Working...
                              X