Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
    I think Douple has been a very average commissioner, he luckily stumbled into the Dakotas in my opinion and we have saved the league. I think the Summit tournament is fine in SF but the way it is structured isn't remotely friendly for fans that have to travel. The title game should be on a Sunday and Douple should be trying to move heaven and earth to get it on that day but I've talked to some Fargo media and from what I gather it seems like he isn't very motivated to change anything.

The MVC has its own issues...Adding Valpo was the most predictable outcome, they basically went for the school that best fit the footprint and caused the fewest issues. I'm not sure how that group of schools is ever going to come to the conclusion that they need to add schools in the Dakota's. It would be a bold move for a conference that doesn't make bold moves. NDSU would probably have better luck pursuing an FBS conference then the MVC in my opinion.
    I was under the assumption that conferences don't have much say when their title game is. ESPN has a lot to do with that do they not? But then again, if a conference decides to move their day of finals, ESPN will likely accommodate as they aren't going to show all but 1 conference final. Game time might just be less than desirable. Mid-evening on a Tuesday night is pretty good but we would like get a similar slot on the previous Sunday. In 2017 4 conferences ended on the same day we are on (Tuesday). Only the Missouri Valley ended on the previous Sunday, 2 days earlier. Sunday would be a lot more remote fan friendly I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
      I was under the assumption that conferences don't have much say when their title game is. ESPN has a lot to do with that do they not? But then again, if a conference decides to move their day of finals, ESPN will likely accommodate as they aren't going to show all but 1 conference final. Game time might just be less than desirable. Mid-evening on a Tuesday night is pretty good but we would like get a similar slot on the previous Sunday. In 2017 4 conferences ended on the same day we are on (Tuesday). Only the Missouri Valley ended on the previous Sunday, 2 days earlier. Sunday would be a lot more remote fan friendly I agree.
      I think ESPN would accommodate the league since like you said there isn't a ton of competition fighting for Sunday, maybe the issue is on the women's side of things but I just thought it was odd when asked Dom Izzo about it he made it seem like it wasn't even remotely a priority for the league.

I do think a Saturday semifinals and a Sunday title game would get NDSU, UND and probably even UNO fans more involved.

Comment

I think ESPN would accommodate the league since like you said there isn't a ton of competition fighting for Sunday, maybe the issue is on the women's side of things but I just thought it was odd when asked Dom Izzo about it he made it seem like it wasn't even remotely a priority for the league.

I do think a Saturday semifinals and a Sunday title game would get NDSU, UND and probably even UNO fans more involved.
        Agreed, and more casual fans will probably come on a weekend for a game then travel during the work week.

maybe I am mistaken but early on when we joined the summit and it started in SF, was there not a year or two where it was Thursday - sunday?
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          Agreed, and more casual fans will probably come on a weekend for a game then travel during the work week.

maybe I am mistaken but early on when we joined the summit and it started in SF, was there not a year or two where it was Thursday - sunday?
          I've always remembered it being the Sat-Tues format since it moved to SF but I can't say that with 100% certainty.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
            I've always remembered it being the Sat-Tues format since it moved to SF but I can't say that with 100% certainty.
            Looking back at dates I think your right. don't know why I remember it being that way.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

I voted to stay in the Summit, but my first choice would be for the football schools (MVFC) to form an all sports conference.

I think the scheduling (big games on week nights, during breaks, etc) makes me almost think that Douple wants to stifle natural rivalries. Also, although I liked visiting Indy-- all the schools near me: IUPUI, WIU, and ORU had horrible atmosphere. I remember driving around the WIU campus asking students where the game was and no one could tell me. Indefensible for a residential campus.

If all four Dakota schools went to the MVC, then maybe, but I think the Summit should be given more time to survive.

Comment

Maximum participation in the tourney occurs in first round. Therefore, having those on the weekend, rather than semi and finals makes most likely to get crowds. Only way that you'd get a large crowd to a final, is if have local teams playing. An ORU IPFW final wouldn't attract better crowds in either Ft Wayne or Tulsa.

Comment

Regular season men's basketball per-game attendance:
                  2012-13 MVC - 7,260; Summit - 2,214
                  2013-14 MVC - 5,599; Summit - 2,106
                  2014-15 MVC - 5,176; Summit - 2,192
                  2015-16 MVC - 5,210; Summit - 2,249
                  2016-17 MVC - 5,010; Summit - 2,310

Tournament men's basketball per-session attendance:
                  2013 MVC - 14,206; Summit - 5,928 (MVC final: Creighton-Wichita State; Summit final: SDSU-NDSU, SF Arena)
                  2014 MVC - 10,198; Summit - 5,208 (MVC final: Wichita State-Indiana State; Summit final: NDSU-IPFW, SF Arena)
                  2015 MVC - 10,037; Summit - 8,903 (MVC final: Northern Iowa-Illinois State; Summit final: NDSU-SDSU, Denny)
                  2016 MVC - 10,004; Summit - 9,165 (MVC final: Northern Iowa-Evansville; Summit final: SDSU-NDSU, Denny)
                  2017 MVC - 9,339; Summit - 9,978 (MVC final: Wichita State-Illinois State; Summit final: SDSU-Omaha, Denny)
                  MVC venue: Scottrade Arena, capacity 22,000; Denny capacity 12,000)

I think by regular season attendance it's pretty obvious that the MVC is a step above the Summit for men's basketball which, let's be honest, is what will drive conference memberships at this level of college athletics.

We'll see what happens with the MVC without Wichita State in the mix, but 2015 and 2016 would seem to indicate that the MVC can withstand not having Creighton or WSU in its conference championship game. On the other hand, the Summit people have to be living in constant fear that either or both of SDSU/USD will not make the final of the men's basketball tournament.)

Seems to me that the discussion here boils down to the classic "big fish in small(er) pond/small fish in big(ger) pond" argument, at least as far as SDSU goes. I would be surprised if the other non-SD schools have a less much difficult choice than SDSU or USD regarding Summit vs. MVC.

(Stats from http://www.ncaa.org/championships/st...all-attendance )
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                    I voted to stay in the Summit, but my first choice would be for the football schools (MVFC) to form an all sports conference.

I think the scheduling (big games on week nights, during breaks, etc) makes me almost think that Douple wants to stifle natural rivalries. Also, although I liked visiting Indy-- all the schools near me: IUPUI, WIU, and ORU had horrible atmosphere. I remember driving around the WIU campus asking students where the game was and no one could tell me. Indefensible for a residential campus.

If all four Dakota schools went to the MVC, then maybe, but I think the Summit should be given more time to survive.
                    I have gotten the impression the Douple was impressed with the rivalries. I don't think he iron fist control over the scheduling. There are many angles in this screwed mess He has to answer to nine presidents, AD's and coaches many who have little to no knowledge of the existing rivalries. You are right about WIU. I once worked with several grad who often went back to MaComb for homecoming. When I asked about the outcome of football game, often did not know but went back to drink bars and to meet up with old friends.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                      Maximum participation in the tourney occurs in first round. Therefore, having those on the weekend, rather than semi and finals makes most likely to get crowds. Only way that you'd get a large crowd to a final, is if have local teams playing. An ORU IPFW final wouldn't attract better crowds in either Ft Wayne or Tulsa.
                      More NDSU fans would drive up for a weekend semifinal/title game. Harder to pull if off on a weeknight, those are the games that matter and should be on the weekend. For NDSU fans the current tournament is horrible, I've had an easier time going to Frisco because it doesn't involve taking multiple days off.

Right now the schedule is very strange. We might play Saturday, play nobody on Sunday, then Monday and Tuesday. The MVC is the model to copy, it is the standard for a mid-major neutral site tournament....It is Thursday-Sunday and really only the bottom tier teams play on Thursday night.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                        This, 100%... Maybe we need to start a new poll.

Comment

I'm not sure about the point of view about wanting the MVFC and the MVC schools that have football to go together ? Those 2 conferences are totally different animals and post season in the 2 sports (FB and BB) are completely different. I understand people may want to have 1 conference for all sports but it doesn't always work that way. I like the idea of finding the best conference per the sport. If this merger were to happen and wrestling became involved would you want to jump from the Big 12? Not me.

Comment

The MVFC schools starting a conference is a great idea but until the MVC tournament credits start to diminish I don't see it happening.

Comment

The MVFC schools starting a conference is a great idea but until the MVC tournament credits start to diminish I don't see it happening.
                              Very good point!

Comment

More NDSU fans would drive up for a weekend semifinal/title game. Harder to pull if off on a weeknight, those are the games that matter and should be on the weekend. For NDSU fans the current tournament is horrible, I've had an easier time going to Frisco because it doesn't involve taking multiple days off.

Right now the schedule is very strange. We might play Saturday, play nobody on Sunday, then Monday and Tuesday. The MVC is the model to copy, it is the standard for a mid-major neutral site tournament....It is Thursday-Sunday and really only the bottom tier teams play on Thursday night.
                                I agree, if Omaha makes it out of the first, round. I would think more fans would show up for the semi and finals on the weekend. Also casual fans wont make a huge difference, but if the final doesn't have SDSU or USD, no casual fan from the tri state area will come to the finals Tuesday night. Sunday games and the causal fan might come for a non Dakota school in the championship game.

Comment

Working...
                                X