Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    Outside of the Dakota schools what team is a draw in the SL? UNO? The team everyone associates with as a DII? Pretty sure we would still schedule USeD and UND in non conference if we were MVC, and I bet we would be able to have non holiday weekend games against them. So we would still have all our Dakota rivalry games intact plus adding better draws than anyone else in the Summit. The privates aren't a draw overall sure, but a couple would be decent. Then the publication would draw pretty well.

Look it's possible that the SL could add some strong programs, but I haven't seen anybody mention a possible team that would be an upgrade for the conference outside of a pipe dream of NMSU or UNI. Otherwise the odds are it will be more alphabet soup. Just is what it is. I don't understand how everyone is super confident in the stability of the SL. The only team that has been a member for longer than ten years is WIU. Don't try to say ORU please. They've shown they'll jump ship for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would like to think we would schedule them but we didn't do a very good job with them when we weren't in the same conference.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
      Could you imagine what the numbers would be if the SDSU men and women did not make the tournament in the same year?

If the Summit ends up just being a rehash of the NCC then it loses it's appeal to me. The footprint has to be large enough to make it relevant. I think that it is just a matter of time before the xDSUs are snatched up into a different conference that offers both football and basketball.
      Well if we sucked in the summit, what difference would it make, to suck in a difference conference. the point is the summit has been good to us. when we went D-1 if people knew we would have had the success we have had would be lying. I don't see how giving it up for a little more stability but losing the tourney location would be a good thing. Glad non of us have to decide these things. I trust our Admin will do whats best for the school and I will support it even if I don't agree with it.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

please tell me where the piece of granite is that has "the MVC will thrive and be around forever" carved into it. Point is things change (which most people hate with a passion). Nobody knows what the future holds down the road but I'm betting things will be much different than we expect. There has been much fun discussion on this which is a good thing. I have faith the leadership at SDSU will do exactly as I wish.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsuceegrad View Post
          I agree that the Summit ill be stronger than the MVC in a year or two, or maybe even this year. With Wichita State leaving the conference, I would think that really hurts any chance of us joining. As it stands right now, leaving the Summit for MVC would essentially be a lateral move at best. I highly doubt SDSU would give up a conference with the Summit championships in Sioux Falls, and a conference with NDSU, USD, UND (soon), and UNO all in it. In my opinion, the MVC is just not as appealing as it would've been 2-5 years ago.
          I am not sure about the SL being stronger than the MVC. Maybe in WBB but not MBB. Will it be stronger in the future? Depends on who stays and who goes.

Would I vote to move to the MVC because its more stable? Let me list the following past teams that have already left previous Mid Con and todays SL
          Let me start with recent defections since 2000 - Centenary, Chicago St, IUPUI, UMKC, Oakland, Southern Utah, Youngstown, Valpo, soon IPFW.

Earlier recognizable defections: Wright St, Cleveland St, UNI, ----- I could go on but there have been 22 former Midcon / Summit league teams.

Is the MVC more stable than the Summit? Don't know who the MVC has lost over the years but I would suspect nothing like the Summit.

Now vote: If we get invited and I had the deciding vote - see you.

GBGBGJ

Comment

I agree that if the SL tournament was not in Sioux Falls I would feel differently about this. I would prefer to keep the Dakota schools together, in what ever conference we are in going forward.

Comment

I think the problem is the question is two fold and it's getting muddled with possible future scenarios. Would I ditch our current situation in the Summit for the current situation in the MVC? I don't think so. However, if the MVC goes to a basketball AND football school only league, then I would be interested. As someone mentioned, you take the MVFC (minus YSU, plus UND), and make those the only members of the MVC? In other words, you're ditching Omaha, Denver, ORU, and IPFW for ISUr, ISUb, UNI, SIU, and MSU. If this happened, I would be all for moving to the MVC and losing the SLT in SF. I think you would be crazy to not go for this.

1. SLT may not always be in SF
              2. The MVC tournament may not always be in St. Louis... If the conference shaped up the way I (and others) propose, I can see it moving North, potentially to Sioux Falls.
              3. Regardless of where the tournament is, you're kidding yourself if you don't think the proposed conference is a better situation than the SLT, even with the SLT in Sioux Falls and the MVC tournament in St. Louis.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                I think the problem is the question is two fold and it's getting muddled with possible future scenarios. Would I ditch our current situation in the Summit for the current situation in the MVC? I don't think so. However, if the MVC goes to a basketball AND football school only league, then I would be interested. As someone mentioned, you take the MVFC (minus YSU, plus UND), and make those the only members of the MVC? In other words, you're ditching Omaha, Denver, ORU, and IPFW for ISUr, ISUb, UNI, SIU, and MSU. If this happened, I would be all for moving to the MVC and losing the SLT in SF. I think you would be crazy to not go for this.

1. SLT may not always be in SF
                2. The MVC tournament may not always be in St. Louis... If the conference shaped up the way I (and others) propose, I can see it moving North, potentially to Sioux Falls.
                3. Regardless of where the tournament is, you're kidding yourself if you don't think the proposed conference is a better situation than the SLT, even with the SLT in Sioux Falls and the MVC tournament in St. Louis.
                That would probably be the best win win, align with schools we currently have connections with, if summit would take tourney out of SF and in the short term that would be crazy and whose to say SF couldn't get the MVC tourney too. Odds on that exactly happening are pretty much bupkis.

Comment

Another thought:

Both Summit and MVC might be short options considering a major shift in P5 football is on the horizon after TV contracts expire and the playoffs expand.

Might be best to stand pat and wait for avalanche to fall rather than start climbing and get caught in it.
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

Lot's of good discussion on this thread!

Lots of talk about the SL Tourney and its effect. My take is that the coaches of all the schools not named SDSU and USD hate having to come there and take on the partisan crowd. The other piece is the schools sure love cashing the checks they receive from the same tourney. Kind of makes it a moot point.

The key is SDSU and NDSU staying together. We make a very attractive pair. Although most on here know my long held position that NDSU will move FBS in the next five years. That would really muck things up.

This is the landscape at hand. It probably isn't going to change. Douple has done a pretty good job in my book. He just needs to keep us relevant as best he can.

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Let's phrase the poll another way: If the average college basketball fan were polled, which conference would they pick? That's easy. The MVC isn't the same conference it was with Wichita and Creighton, but it is more well known and credible then the Summit. Having the tournament in Sioux Falls is a great advantage to our school but it only makes for 3 and hopefully 4 meaningful games each season. MVC membership makes at least a few regular season games meaningful. And who's to say that the MVC tourney couldn't locate in Sioux Falls? Money talks and Sioux Falls puts on a good show.

The reality is that the Dakota schools are not that attractive. We offer competitive programs but we are out of the way and don't add television sets. I don't see how you can say no if the MVC comes knocking.

Comment

Originally posted by jbjack View Post
                        Let's phrase the poll another way: If the average college basketball fan were polled, which conference would they pick? That's easy. The MVC isn't the same conference it was with Wichita and Creighton, but it is more well known and credible then the Summit. Having the tournament in Sioux Falls is a great advantage to our school but it only makes for 3 and hopefully 4 meaningful games each season. MVC membership makes at least a few regular season games meaningful. And who's to say that the MVC tourney couldn't locate in Sioux Falls? Money talks and Sioux Falls puts on a good show.

The reality is that the Dakota schools are not that attractive. We offer competitive programs but we are out of the way and don't add television sets. I don't see how you can say no if the MVC comes knocking.
                        Agree with the bold. IMO, adding the XDSU's and maybe even the UXD's would be a big step in that direction compared to their current course though.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

The MVC is much more stable than the Summit League and it isn't even close. We've lost two teams since this conference realignment stuff started up and we lost one team to the Big East and one to the American Athletic. The MVC is pretty much the top level of mid-major conferences along with the A-10, the MWC, and the WCC. While the conference isn't as good as it once was we still have teams that have a lot of potential to get better and the league still has the potential to be a multi-bid league. For example back in 2011 Indiana State won the auto bid to the NCAA tournament and was seeded as a 14. (We were a one bid league in 2011.) A couple of years later the league was back to getting multiple bids. The MVC goes in up and down cycles. In a few years I would expect the MVC to be a pretty good conference again. Wichita State and Creighton weren't the only two teams that have had success.

Comment

Originally posted by mvfcfan View Post
                            The MVC is much more stable than the Summit League and it isn't even close. We've lost two teams since this conference realignment stuff started up and we lost one team to the Big East and one to the American Athletic. The MVC is pretty much the top level of mid-major conferences along with the A-10, the MWC, and the WCC. While the conference isn't as good as it once was we still have teams that have a lot of potential to get better and the league still has the potential to be a multi-bid league. For example back in 2011 Indiana State won the auto bid to the NCAA tournament and was seeded as a 14. (We were a one bid league in 2011.) A couple of years later the league was back to getting multiple bids. The MVC goes in up and down cycles. In a few years I would expect the MVC to be a pretty good conference again. Wichita State and Creighton weren't the only two teams that have had success.
                            Fair point. However, I think it's worth noting that The MVC has lost its two big guns. On the plus side, UNI and Illinois State have had really good teams in the recent past. Also SIU made a run in 2008. But, to claim that currently the MVC is as good as the A10, MWC, And the WCC is laughable. That would certainly be an accurate statement 3 or 4 years ago,but not anymore.

I would be in favor of the publics of the MVC + Drake and the Dakotas + WIU hooking up, then move the MVC Tourney to Des Moines. Without question that would be raise the level of competition currently seen in either the current Summit and current MVC.

But, after reading the MVCfans board, looks like that's not a popular opinion. It appears playing Bradley, Loyola, Evansville, and Valpo is viewed as heads and shoulders above what the Dakota schools can offer. To me it feels like 2006 all over again with NDSU and SDSU were snubbed by the Big Sky (LOL). Also, "Bus League" - who cares, its 2017.

Also, there are a few over on the MVC board that would really like to see Oral Roberts because they "average over 3,000 fans per game" ---- OMG. If they only knew the reality.

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...ecec.image.jpg --- when I get on a computer I'll post this image correctly. In the mean time just click the link.
                            Last edited by mmiller_34; 08-09-2017, 08:29 AM.

Comment

The wild card in all this which SUPERBUNNY alluded to is money. We don't really know how much current SL schools get paid from the revenues of the SL tourney. With many of the schools in our league strapped for cash, maybe playing in SF against a partisan crowd isn't as big of a deal as we may think. On the flip side, schools we would want to lure into our conference likely are in a better financial situation than most of our current members. Therefore the potential cash earnings from a well attended conference tourney isn't a big deal to them.

We also don't know how much say Douple has regarding conference memebership compared to the ADs and Presidents of the current SL memberhship. Any such membership change would come down to a vote but how all that gets started and discussed is not something anyone here is privy to. But Douple and his staff are super motivated by wanting to maintain a marquee conference BB tourney and keeping their cash coffers well stocked. I trust this is something Douple and current members are on top of and are trying to control what they can control. With that said, I would like to see the SL be more pro-active and forthcoming about possible membership changes.

Comment

I think Douple has been a very average commissioner, he luckily stumbled into the Dakotas in my opinion and we have saved the league. I think the Summit tournament is fine in SF but the way it is structured isn't remotely friendly for fans that have to travel. The title game should be on a Sunday and Douple should be trying to move heaven and earth to get it on that day but I've talked to some Fargo media and from what I gather it seems like he isn't very motivated to change anything.

The MVC has its own issues...Adding Valpo was the most predictable outcome, they basically went for the school that best fit the footprint and caused the fewest issues. I'm not sure how that group of schools is ever going to come to the conclusion that they need to add schools in the Dakota's. It would be a bold move for a conference that doesn't make bold moves. NDSU would probably have better luck pursuing an FBS conference then the MVC in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X