Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

Is the tournament in Sioux Falls? Do we make the Dance consistently? The wins will come. Sweet Jebus, we only been doing this dozen years or so. I prefer the lockdown on the Summit Tourney and making it to the Dance consistently to wallowing in the mess that is now the MVC. But I guess if we hate postseason and going to a conference tourney outside our back doors, then by all means let's join the MVC
    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
      I would seriously consider it harder if the tourney wasn't in Sioux Falls, but it is. I'm not ashamed of that for my rationale. It generates HUGE fan support not only for the conference tournament, it is huge for Jackrabbit fans following our team. Could you honestly expect 1,500 Jackrabbit fans showing up in St. Louis for the MVC? If we even doubled that, it would still feel empty. Sioux Falls is a great venue for the conference, but it is monumental for Jackrabbit/Coyote fans.
      Apologies to the "bigger is always better" club, but I completely agree. We have something VERY special with the SLT. I have a feeling those packed-house games and the buzz they generate are responsible for making a whole lot of casual SDSU fans and selling a whole bunch of gear. Mid-major basketball is all about getting to the tourney - and we've cut down the nets something like 11 times in Sioux Falls - in front of a giant blue crowd. Those four days in March are the highlight of my sports year - and it's not even close.

Comment

Some Conferences are and will be in a constant state of flux,the strong feed on the weak,always has been and always will be.My hope is if and when we get to the point where other Conferences would deem us as being a valued addition,that we would go to some Conference that isn't trending toward taking us backwards again to where we started at.How stable will the MVC be if they continue to get their best teams picked up one by one to stronger Conferences.

We need a more progressive and pro-active commissioner who understands how to market a product better and comes up with ideas to make the Summit stronger.Douple was fine when we first joined,but frankly, he's running out of ideas and becoming someone who re-acts after the fact instead of building up and marketing what he's got. In all fairness though,maybe he's constrained from being pro-active by the budget he's dealt, I don't know how much money is in the "coffers",or how good he is at finding sponsers for funding certain ideas that can benefit both partys. We are a relatively low budget Conference I'd say. But still ,even more reason to want to change all that. We need a go-getter, time for a change? Maybe I'm being overly critical of Commissioner Douple,if that's the case, I apologize, just seems to me as a Conference ,we've become somewhat stagnated. I opened a whole new can of worms ,sorry.
        Last edited by jackdaniel; 08-08-2017, 10:31 AM.

Comment

I'm fine with people using the "SLT is in SF" argument. I think it's super valid. Can we just not pretend that the SL is a better conference, is more stable, or has a better long term outlook then?
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I'm as big of a fan of the SL Tourney being in Sioux Falls as anyone. We have 10 all-session passes booked for 2018 and 2019 and will only increase that # as long as the tourney is in SF. But why the vote and argument is heated over us staying in the Summit League is exactly why the Summit League will have a difficult time adding members of any significance. No other school wants to go to the SL BB tourney and have to face that atmosphere and crowd every single year. You can argue it is a better overall tourney experience for the teams than playing in front of 1000 people in Tulsa, Omaha, etc. But that pales in comparison for other schools that would rather have a quiet gym than listen to 5000+ SDSU fans screaming their lungs off.

As good as the Summit League tourney is for SDSU/USD, Sioux Falls and fans, it could be the demise of the conference as well. I voted to move to the MVC as in the long run it is a better and most established conference, even without Creighton and Wichita St. In the world of college athletics, the SL is still a few rungs down the ladder form the MVC regardless of what ranking service you look at.

Comment

I would be fine with staying if the Summit was a more stable conference, but at this point is just isn't. I think the MVC at this point is still a stronger conference top to bottom but the gap isn't huge. I truly believe that the Summit is in a pretty perilous position over this next year. Both the Horizon and the MVC have stated they will look to expand in the next year with the MVC looking to possibly add two more teams and the Horizon looking at 2 to 4.

While the 4 Dakota schools are pretty stable, it is the rest that concern me.....

IPFW - I will be shocked if they are not in the Horizon this time next year.

UNO - They arleady spent this summer flirting with the MVC. If the Horizon does expand by 4 you have to believe they will get an invite. Large market, no football, more stable conference with other metro universities....makes sense to me.

ORU - They left us once, they will do it again. This would be more of a long shot but the MVC makes sense. They would be a travel partner for Missouri State, would be the nonfootball/private counterbalance to Murray State, fund basketball at a MVC level and have a 10,000 seat arena. While they have some obvious issues they check off a lot of boxes. Definitely not a done deal but you have to believe they are in the cards.

Denver - If we lose two or three of the others and our auto bid is on life support would they be willing to ignore Grand Canyon and go back to the WAC for stability? Panic makes people do weird things.

Western Illinois - When IPFW leaves they are on an island all by themselves. With Illinois in a huge financial crisis, would they consider dropping football or going the non schollie route and join the Horizon or OVC as Murray's replacement? You would have to think they will be willing to listen to anything that would put them back in a conference in their own region.

I realize that some of this is doomsday scenario, but some of it isn't. Some of it is pretty realistic. I would really like to see Douple make some type of move now to stabilize our conference and calm some fears. Waiting to see who the Horizon and MVC take could be the death sentence for our conference if things play out in the wrong way.

My last point is this, while we all love the SLT in our backyard we are the only ones who do short of USD. It will always be a bone of contention with most conference mates. That alone will make the conference a forever revolving door and put us in WAC status of adding teams from across the country just to survive. If we are comfortable with that great, but no complaints about the crap quality of teams we have in the conference. Sometimes you have to be in a higher caliber of conference that will push you to be better, kind of like Oakland and ORU were for us when we joined. NDSU and SDSU could elevate the MVC and ourselves to higher levels than we will with the Summit. Just my $.02

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                I'm as big of a fan of the SL Tourney being in Sioux Falls as anyone. We have 10 all-session passes booked for 2018 and 2019 and will only increase that # as long as the tourney is in SF. But why the vote and argument is heated over us staying in the Summit League is exactly why the Summit League will have a difficult time adding members of any significance. No other school wants to go to the SL BB tourney and have to face that atmosphere and crowd every single year. You can argue it is a better overall tourney experience for the teams than playing in front of 1000 people in Tulsa, Omaha, etc. But that pales in comparison for other schools that would rather have a quiet gym than listen to 5000+ SDSU fans screaming their lungs off.

As good as the Summit League tourney is for SDSU/USD, Sioux Falls and fans, it could be the demise of the conference as well. I voted to move to the MVC as in the long run it is a better and most established conference, even without Creighton and Wichita St. In the world of college athletics, the SL is still a few rungs down the ladder form the MVC regardless of what ranking service you look at.
                You beat me to it in my previous post.....agree 100%.

Comment

I'm kind of in favor of having the SLT at a close proximity to the winner of the conference season the year prior like baseball (every year in Tulsa ,gym size should be stipulated for revenue purposes).That seems fair, and perhaps it will still stay in Sioux Falls more often than not. Separating the mens and womens tournaments might reduce revenue , but might help over all stability if teams are happy to have a chance to host,contrary to no chance as it is now.Or have a rotating system for E. and W. conference members,every other year.Eliminate or change the "bid" system, yes it's penallizing success I know, but it might help preserve the conference, a fair trade off.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                    I would be fine with staying if the Summit was a more stable conference, but at this point is just isn't. I think the MVC at this point is still a stronger conference top to bottom but the gap isn't huge. I truly believe that the Summit is in a pretty perilous position over this next year. Both the Horizon and the MVC have stated they will look to expand in the next year with the MVC looking to possibly add two more teams and the Horizon looking at 2 to 4.

While the 4 Dakota schools are pretty stable, it is the rest that concern me.....

IPFW - I will be shocked if they are not in the Horizon this time next year.

UNO - They arleady spent this summer flirting with the MVC. If the Horizon does expand by 4 you have to believe they will get an invite. Large market, no football, more stable conference with other metro universities....makes sense to me.

ORU - They left us once, they will do it again. This would be more of a long shot but the MVC makes sense. They would be a travel partner for Missouri State, would be the nonfootball/private counterbalance to Murray State, fund basketball at a MVC level and have a 10,000 seat arena. While they have some obvious issues they check off a lot of boxes. Definitely not a done deal but you have to believe they are in the cards.

Denver - If we lose two or three of the others and our auto bid is on life support would they be willing to ignore Grand Canyon and go back to the WAC for stability? Panic makes people do weird things.

Western Illinois - When IPFW leaves they are on an island all by themselves. With Illinois in a huge financial crisis, would they consider dropping football or going the non schollie route and join the Horizon or OVC as Murray's replacement? You would have to think they will be willing to listen to anything that would put them back in a conference in their own region.

I realize that some of this is doomsday scenario, but some of it isn't. Some of it is pretty realistic. I would really like to see Douple make some type of move now to stabilize our conference and calm some fears. Waiting to see who the Horizon and MVC take could be the death sentence for our conference if things play out in the wrong way.

My last point is this, while we all love the SLT in our backyard we are the only ones who do short of USD. It will always be a bone of contention with most conference mates. That alone will make the conference a forever revolving door and put us in WAC status of adding teams from across the country just to survive. If we are comfortable with that great, but no complaints about the crap quality of teams we have in the conference. Sometimes you have to be in a higher caliber of conference that will push you to be better, kind of like Oakland and ORU were for us when we joined. NDSU and SDSU could elevate the MVC and ourselves to higher levels than we will with the Summit. Just my $.02
                    Thanks for your $.02,good post

Comment

So the conference is unstable, but the conference we would consider is also unstable, that's why we are having these questions to begin with. The world of college athletics is always in constant flux. The summit I feel will do the best with continuing to build it as strong as it can be. If we can do that, then we failed. Like mentioned before, with the commish, maybe they have not been the best at marketing the conference. We are adding a program and team IMHO in USD then we are losing in IUPUI. I call that a win. losing members never feels good, but in the long run I feel we are better for it. I just think mid majors and conferences need to make a better push to make better scheduling. the power teams are always going to get there way, but the rest can make better scheduling. its like mid majors are afraid to play each other. No idea why we can play horizon and MVC and MW and big sky every OOC portion of the schedule.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                        I'm fine with people using the "SLT is in SF" argument. I think it's super valid. Can we just not pretend that the SL is a better conference, is more stable, or has a better long term outlook then?

As much as I love the SL tournament in Sioux Falls, I think that it hurts the credibility of the programs at times. The women proved that they were legit because they won the SL on the road. I think that, no matter how good the men become, there will be a rational that they only win the tournament because it is a "home game." Any of us that have watched the, at times, painful march to relevance the men have made know otherwise.
                        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                          This. I understand the argument. I get it. I think it's incredibly shortsighted, but I get it. Just stop trying to make the SL something it isn't. The only reason the SL is what it is is due to what the xDSUs have made it. Without us it's garbage. That's just reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                            This. I understand the argument. I get it. I think it's incredibly shortsighted, but I get it. Just stop trying to make the SL something it isn't. The only reason the SL is what it is is due to what the xDSUs have made it. Without us it's garbage. That's just reality.

Maybe I am crazy but I bet a lot of schools would love to have the problems of hosting its tourney surrounded with a huge home advantage like we do. I like to thing the best of the summit league is just getting started, don't really care for the well we had fun with it while we could now time to dump that and move on to something "better". Would are fans really care that much more if we plan Evansville every year or Bradley? the connection to the teams we have with the football conference are the only draw of it.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post

Could you imagine what the numbers would be if the SDSU men and women did not make the tournament in the same year?

If the Summit ends up just being a rehash of the NCC then it loses it's appeal to me. The footprint has to be large enough to make it relevant. I think that it is just a matter of time before the xDSUs are snatched up into a different conference that offers both football and basketball.
                              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                                Maybe I am crazy but I bet a lot of schools would love to have the problems of hosting its tourney surrounded with a huge home advantage like we do. I like to thing the best of the summit league is just getting started, don't really care for the well we had fun with it while we could now time to dump that and move on to something "better". Would are fans really care that much more if we plan Evansville every year or Bradley? the connection to the teams we have with the football conference are the only draw of it.
                                Outside of the Dakota schools what team is a draw in the SL? UNO? The team everyone associates with as a DII? Pretty sure we would still schedule USeD and UND in non conference if we were MVC, and I bet we would be able to have non holiday weekend games against them. So we would still have all our Dakota rivalry games intact plus adding better draws than anyone else in the Summit. The privates aren't a draw overall sure, but a couple would be decent. Then the publication would draw pretty well.

Look it's possible that the SL could add some strong programs, but I haven't seen anybody mention a possible team that would be an upgrade for the conference outside of a pipe dream of NMSU or UNI. Otherwise the odds are it will be more alphabet soup. Just is what it is. I don't understand how everyone is super confident in the stability of the SL. The only team that has been a member for longer than ten years is WIU. Don't try to say ORU please. They've shown they'll jump ship for sure.

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Working...
                                X