Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

I'm a bit biased but I would like the conference to look west and add Northern Colorado. As long as we have teams near the Horizon league territory we will risk losing them on the Horizon as a lot going for it as well. If we could grab Gand Canyon University as well even better. UNC more of a basketball school and I could see them dropping football.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
      For what it’s worth, here’s what Zimmer had to say about this MVC conjecture in today’s live chat. Apparently he has yet to hear the sales pitch.

“Oh, God, not this again...

No. It's a terrible idea and it's not happening.

Playing Illinois State and Indiana State instead of Western Illinois and Omaha is not something your average fan cares about. And yes, the conference tournament is far more important than whatever name recognition college hoops junkies think they'll get from moving.”

(Without the SLT)”It's possible SDSU would still be looking for its first men's NCAA tournament appearance. It's possible Nate Wolters never would've come to SDSU.
      What do you think is the bigger recruiting chip? The SLT in front of 10K at SF or a game at Frost in front of 2K?
      But yeah, by all means, give that up so you can play in Des Moines.
      Another thing: Who's name is on the football stadium? Who's name is on the SJAC? Where are they based out of? Yeah, I'm sure they'd be all on board with bolting the Summit so you can play Bradley and Loyola and Evansville. -
      f the Summit falls apart on its own, so be it. Then SDSU will have to make a decision. Being an active part of killing it would be monumentally stupid. I can't stress that enough.”

Plus a lot more.....
      Zimmer said it so it must be the gospel truth......

To call it a terrible idea is laughable at best. To think that a more prestigious, stable conference would be a terrible idea because of a tournament that is not guaranteed to last forever is at best a overreaction and sounds extremely biased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

For what it’s worth, here’s what Zimmer had to say about this MVC conjecture in today’s live chat. Apparently he has yet to hear the sales pitch.

“Oh, God, not this again...

No. It's a terrible idea and it's not happening.

Playing Illinois State and Indiana State instead of Western Illinois and Omaha is not something your average fan cares about. And yes, the conference tournament is far more important than whatever name recognition college hoops junkies think they'll get from moving.”

(Without the SLT)”It's possible SDSU would still be looking for its first men's NCAA tournament appearance. It's possible Nate Wolters never would've come to SDSU.
        What do you think is the bigger recruiting chip? The SLT in front of 10K at SF or a game at Frost in front of 2K?
        Another thing: Who's name is on the football stadium? Who's name is on the SJAC? Where are they based out of? Yeah, I'm sure they'd be all on board with bolting the Summit so you can play Bradley and Loyola and Evansville. -
        f the Summit falls apart on its own, so be it. Then SDSU will have to make a decision. Being an active part of killing it would be monumentally stupid. I can't stress that enough.”

Plus a lot more.....
        Beautiful and well spoken Zimmer.

Comment

Zimmer's comments are exactly the way I feel and I am rather sure the way most if not all of the athletic department feels. A move to the MVC has so much down side and so little up side. We are almost moving into coyotes types of discussions that can't appreciate what a major benefit the SLT and the Summit League have been to SDSU and how much we have helped the Summit become one of the higher regarded leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
            Zimmer's comments are exactly the way I feel and I am rather sure the way most if not all of the athletic department feels. A move to the MVC has so much down side and so little up side. We are almost moving into coyotes types of discussions that can't appreciate what a major benefit the SLT and the Summit League have been to SDSU and how much we have helped the Summit become one of the higher regarded leagues.
            bingo. having the summit tournament in your backyard is a big deal. that's worth a lot more then people give it credit for. the MVC was a great midmajor. I would like to think the summit will be trending up and up. we have a good core of schools. however if there was a chance to basically have the mvc the same as the MVFC we should take that. I think we should try to poach UNI. I know they think to highly of themselves, but with budget issues etc, they mind find having a core group with the Dakotas, and they would have a bigger budget etc in the summit then most, they would be a better fit for us then they realize.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
              Zimmer said it so it must be the gospel truth......

To call it a terrible idea is laughable at best. To think that a more prestigious, stable conference would be a terrible idea because of a tournament that is not guaranteed to last forever is at best a overreaction and sounds extremely biased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Agreed. I like Zimmer, and I like his articles. That being said, his opinion is about like everyone's ***hole: we've all got one. And if his knowledge of the national scene of FCS football is any indication, I wouldn't take his musings on mid major basketball to the bank either...

Comment

When and if some of the members of the MVC want to come back to reality and realize their beloved conference is a shell of what it used to be and work on combining the best of the Summit and MVC so be it. Until then love to see the Summit continue to add enhance the conference. Next target should be UNC. Funny how now other conferences are now modeling their post season tournament after the success of the Summit in Sioux Falls.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                  When and if some of the members of the MVC want to come back to reality and realize their beloved conference is a shell of what it used to be and work on combining the best of the Summit and MVC so be it. Until then love to see the Summit continue to add enhance the conference. Next target should be UNC. Funny how now other conferences are now modeling their post season tournament after the success of the Summit in Sioux Falls.
                  Exactly, once they take the blinders off and they realize its not the same conference it use to be, realining with the summit will make more and more sense, even if they don't see it now. its not a bad conference obviously, just its not the draw it use to be. when we went D-1, if the MVC was open to us, heck yes, lets go. but things probably don't work out the way they did for us. Unless they move the MVC to SF, then I would consider it.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Absolutely not. Five years ago yes. Today no way. Reasons to stay where we are at:

1. The Valley is not the conference it once was. Hence last year. One bid to the NCAA.
                    2. The conference tournament is in our back yard.
                    3. Continuing growth of the players in The Summit League.

I think The Summit League should take a run at either Northern Iowa or Drake to join the league. I'm guessing Northern IA is looking for bigger and better. Press the issue.

Go Rabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
                      Absolutely not. Five years ago yes. Today no way. Reasons to stay where we are at:

1. The Valley is not the conference it once was. Hence last year. One bid to the NCAA.
                      2. The conference tournament is in our back yard.
                      3. Continuing growth of the players in The Summit League.

I think The Summit League should take a run at either Northern Iowa or Drake to join the league. I'm guessing Northern IA is looking for bigger and better. Press the issue.

Go Rabbits!
                      Doesn't UNI have some budget issues at the school? Part of me thinks aim for them and the ISU-r and ISU-B. but if we do that its basically the mvfc.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        Doesn't UNI have some budget issues at the school? Part of me thinks aim for them and the ISU-r and ISU-B. but if we do that its basically the mvfc.
                        It would surprise me if any of the Illinois and Indiana schools in the Valley are going to be interested in the Summit when it would mean two trips to the Dakotas and one to Denver/ORU every season compared to the travel they now have.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          UNI spends a lot of money on their coach (Jacobson) and their basketball program in general. They are not having a typical UNI kind of year.

Comment

Plus a lot more.....
                            I do not know for sure but some of you make it sound like everything Zimmer wrote is for sure. He said that there are several "possibilities".
                            If the Summit League tournament moves from Sioux Falls before USD and Omaha make it to the NCAA tournament, will they not ever make it to the NCAA tournament either? Or is that just an SDSU thing?
                            Didn't Nate only have DI offers from SDSU, UND and USD? If the Summit League Tournament wasn't in Sioux Falls would he have went DII, to UND or USD or walked on somewhere else?
                            Didn't Denny give SDSU, NDSU, UND and USD all money to build facilities? Dana played football for SDSU so don't you think he still might have given SDSU money to build football facilities even if the basketball tournament wasn't played in Sioux Falls?
                            I think SDSU should stay in the Summit but I don't know if any of these are solid facts. I'm just checking to see if anybody knows that they are or if this is just a opinion about "possibilities".

Comment

Like most successful relationships, the Summit League and SDSU are a symbiotic relationship. But in this case, in my opinion, the relationship is more important than in most. The old Mid-Con needed a set of stable core institutions back in 2007, and to Douple's credit, he saw the potential in NDSU and SDSU to provide that and probably saw the potential that USD would not be far behind. In fact he and the conference made the decision to move the league tournament to Sioux Falls even before SDSU was eligible to participate. (The first year the tournament was held in Sioux Falls, was the year we became eligible to go to the big dance.) The reason the tournament came here was because the Sioux Falls business community dug into its collective pockets and provided financial backing to ensure a better return than what was happening in Tulsa where the tournament was previously held. The predictions by the some of our friends at the Argus was that the tournament would be played before and empty house. We all know the accuracy of that prediction. Although none of us have crystal balls to predict what might have been, Sioux Falls was anxious for national attention, and the SLT turned out to be a major success in delivering that.

The SLT clearly would not have been the success it has become with out SDSU and, in more recent years, USD. But similarly, without the SLT in Sioux Falls, it is not unreasonable to speculate that the fan base for all things athletic at SDSU would not have developed as rapidly, the success of the men's team in reaching the NCAA's would have evolved more slowly, (the women were already strong enough to go) and dollars donated/invested in athletics at SDSU and elsewhere would not have been as large or generated as much positive press for the the donors. In fact, many would suggest that Premier Center would not have been approved by the voters had it not been for the SLT.

Would SDSU have been as successful in competing with NDSU while transitioning form DII to DI from a city of 25,000 without something that really brought Sioux Falls along as our "second home?" We will never know, but in mho, the synergy between SDSU, Sioux Falls, and The Summit League Tournament has been extremely valuable. I greatly appreciate what the Sioux Falls business leaders, led by Dykhouse and others, Tom Douple, and SDSU and its fans have done over the past 10+ years. That doesn't not mean that we should never make a change in conferences, but if and when we do, we need to be very sure that that change will bring an even greater synergy between SDSU and its new conference. The MVC in mho would bring better conference name recognition, but far less in terms of opportunities to build our athletic programs. That is what I think Matt Z was saying as well.

Comment

Has anyone kept track of the summit vs MVC for OOC games? I know many summit schools played at least 1 or 2 MVC schools. just curious as to the outcomes of those match ups. My guess is total speculation, but would wager it would probably be very close to being 50/50.

Comment

Working...
                                X