Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post
    Yes, exactly. The MVC could become a multi-bid league again. The summit never will be. However, winning the SLT should always be easier than getting an at-large out of the MVC.

The summit is not a good conference, let's just be honest with ourselves. It's the kind of league you can join after just moving to D1. Now if you're arguing that the MVC is devolving into that? I'm open to that possibility but I see that as a much less likely scenario.
    Summit League is in Top 15 RPI ranking for conferences (out of 32 conferences). Just curious what is your definition of a ‘“good” and a “bad” conference?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
      Summit League is in Top 15 RPI ranking for conferences (out of 32 conferences). Just curious what is your definition of a ‘“good” and a “bad” conference?
      The MVC is ranked 8th out of 32 and some people think they stink, so I'm not sure how people rate good nor bad.

Comment

Creighton and Wichita State are gone. The MVC does not have same appeal it once did. The Summit continues to shed the dead weight and is improving.

Comment

Until the MVC takes from the Horizon and the Horizon takes from the Summit. That right there tells you a little bit about the pecking order right now.
          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Consider who they are taking. Oakland truly outside the footprint. IUPUI the Horizon can have them.

Comment

The first home game for the Horizon at Indiana Farmer's Arena for IUPUI against UIC brought in 815. Jags are 1-3 in conference and 4-11 overall. That may not be a lift to the quality RPI for the Horizon.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                I'm speaking of the conference as a whole, to be clear. Yes, it may be a middle of the road conference in MBB from year to year. But is there any team in any sport in the summit that could get an at large bid? ORU baseball?

I'm torn on if I'd want to switch by the way. I think I'd rather take my chances in SLT. I just think people have an overinflated view of our conference, again as a whole. I also realize the reason we would move is primarily because of basketball.

Comment

I think most have a good idea of what the Summit is and isn't. Many of the MVC teams put more money into basketball, especially the privates as they don't have scholarship football or football at all. I believe the gap is narrowing especially on the facility front. USD, UND, NDSU,Omaha,Denver,ORU and soon to be SDSU all have new or quality basketball facilities. At the end of the day, both conferences are now one bid leagues now.
                  Last edited by JACKGUYII; 01-07-2018, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                    The first home game for the Horizon at Indiana Farmer's Arena for IUPUI against UIC brought in 815. Jags are 1-3 in conference and 4-11 overall. That may not be a lift to the quality RPI for the Horizon.
                    I haven't shed any tears about IUPUI leaving. Their anacronym is a pain in itself. Those low numbers should help the Summit this year since they no longer pull down the averages. I think we would be smart to stay put until a definite and reliable offer is extended to us. That does not mean we can not have some staff working quietly behind the scenes to find a better conference. So that puts me in the undecided column, I am neither pro or con about joining the MVC.
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 01-07-2018, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post
                      But is there any team in any sport in the summit that could get an at large bid? .
                      SDSU women this season. They just missed last year and their resume so far this season is quite a bit better.

Comment

If the MVC defaults to MVFC membership, that would be ideal. Unless MVC is going to take NDSU as well, SDSU needs to stay with Summit. Ideally, xDSU and UxD would stay in the same conferences (for travel reasons).
                        Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                        -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                          Until the MVC takes from the Horizon and the Horizon takes from the Summit. That right there tells you a little bit about the pecking order right now.
                          Do you think that SDSU, NDSU or USD would leave the Summit for the Horizon? The reason IUPUI did is because of travel. That is a major drawback for the Summit. If the Summit was located where the Horizon is it could pick and choose any Horizon team unless some teams was to get the auto bid from the Horizon League because it would be tougher in the Summit (big fish-small pond or small fish-big pond).

The Summit isn't the greatest conference but the Missouri Valley isn't what is used to be either. Some people think it still is but they just hear Missouri Valley and don't see what it is becoming.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                            The Summit isn't the greatest conference but the Missouri Valley isn't what is used to be either. Some people think it still is but they just hear Missouri Valley and don't see what it is becoming.
                            I'm a glutton for punishment so I will take the bait. I will give you my take on what the Valley is and what they are becoming.

First, they are the second oldest athletic conference in the country. So while some argue they are becoming unstable, I think 110 years kind of screams stability.

Everyone thinks they are falling apart because they lost their top team. They didn't fall apart after Cincinnati left in 1969, or Louisville in 1974, or New Mexico State in 1983, or Tulsa in 1996, or Creighton in 2013 and I doubt they will fall apart after Wichita State this year. One team leaving doesn't kill a conference, multiple teams leaving does. Don't you want teams in your conference that aspire to be better and do more. That isn't a bad thing, conversely it may be the best. Do you honestly think SDSU football would be where it's at if we weren't chasing NDSU? It's ok to have teams move on. We were chasing Oakland for years until they left for what they thought was a better opportunity. They inspired us to be better, but the Summit didn't implode when they left or when a stronger ORU left a few years back. Someone else stepped up and took the mantle and that is what is happening in the Valley.

As for what the Valley will become. I'm not sure, no one is. But in their first year without Wichita State they have the 8th best RPI. They are behind the Big East, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10, ACC, SEC in no particular order. That means they are the 2nd best mid major conference out of the remaining 26.....all in the year they were destined to implode. That is a higher RPI than they were with Creighton and Wichita State. Most likely next year they will add a perennially strong Murray State out of the OVC and if they are smart a Northern Kentucky out of the Horizon (that school is ascending and they aren't looking back). So they will be even stronger yet.

They like all others will most likely be a one bid conference so there is no advantage to going there short of conference stability which the Summit doesn't have. I would be shocked if an offer came our way and more shocked if we accepted without a partner, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I just get a little frustrated when people disregard things they aren't familiar with much like those that attack the Summit as a bottom feeder conference.

What do you see them becoming?

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                              I'm a glutton for punishment so I will take the bait. I will give you my take on what the Valley is and what they are becoming.

First, they are the second oldest athletic conference in the country. So while some argue they are becoming unstable, I think 110 years kind of screams stability.

Everyone thinks they are falling apart because they lost their top team. They didn't fall apart after Cincinnati left in 1969, or Louisville in 1974, or New Mexico State in 1983, or Tulsa in 1996, or Creighton in 2013 and I doubt they will fall apart after Wichita State this year. One team leaving doesn't kill a conference, multiple teams leaving does. Don't you want teams in your conference that aspire to be better and do more. That isn't a bad thing, conversely it may be the best. Do you honestly think SDSU football would be where it's at if we weren't chasing NDSU? It's ok to have teams move on. We were chasing Oakland for years until they left for what they thought was a better opportunity. They inspired us to be better, but the Summit didn't implode when they left or when a stronger ORU left a few years back. Someone else stepped up and took the mantle and that is what is happening in the Valley.

As for what the Valley will become. I'm not sure, no one is. But in their first year without Wichita State they have the 8th best RPI. They are behind the Big East, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10, ACC, SEC in no particular order. That means they are the 2nd best mid major conference out of the remaining 26.....all in the year they were destined to implode. That is a higher RPI than they were with Creighton and Wichita State. Most likely next year they will add a perennially strong Murray State out of the OVC and if they are smart a Northern Kentucky out of the Horizon (that school is ascending and they aren't looking back). So they will be even stronger yet.

They like all others will most likely be a one bid conference so there is no advantage to going there short of conference stability which the Summit doesn't have. I would be shocked if an offer came our way and more shocked if we accepted without a partner, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I just get a little frustrated when people disregard things they aren't familiar with much like those that attack the Summit as a bottom feeder conference.

What do you see them becoming?
                              Since I didn't say the Valley is becoming unstable if this is for somebody else never mind.

I see the Valley becoming a one bid league just like the Summit.

I say the Valley isn't what it used to be and you come back with "they are falling apart". I think the Valley won't fall apart but I think it is weaker than it was. They are still good this season and they will probably add teams so I could be wrong but that is my take as of now. It might be better than the Summit but I don't know by how much.

The stability would be nice but I guess I'm a glass is half full person and don't think the Summit will implode. If the Summit stays a conference for the next 40 years and both leagues are one bid leagues, I think both conferences have their plusses and minuses. I just think that the travel and conference tournament put the Summit slightly ahead.

Comment

The Midcon/Summit has been a conference for 35 years. The history has been a conference in flux with the membership. It has also become located more in the middle of the country for footprint than the past. This transition has not been a big problem recently if you consider the attention that results from the SLT in basketball. It has had some struggles as teams come and go. Southern Utah, UMKC, Centenary, Iupui, and Oakland are most recent. Denver, UNO, and UND are newer incoming. Overall, this looks positive. If the MVC is not telling what is up their sleeve, why do we expect the Summit to keep a broadcast on activities? Maybe someone should tell Douple we could use more teams in the Summit! There is a bit too much MVC envy-not to be confused with bison FB envy-which is creating a distorted view of the improvement in the Summit. Keep making the Summit a better conference is the better decision at this time as the reality is that there is not going to be a Dakota school in the MVC in the near future.
                                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                                X