Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

Originally posted by mvfcfan View Post
    An insider claims that the MVC is interested in and has been in discussions with 10 schools. SDSU is one of them.

Others mentioned: Murray State (OVC), Northern KY (Horizon), SE Missouri St (OVC), Belmont (OVC), Oakland (Horizon), Milwaukee (Horizon), Grand Canyon (WAC), UT Arlington (Sun Belt), and Denver (Summit).
    Let the Dakotas know when the MVC is ready to drop their bottom dwellers and take the best of both conferences and combine them to make a proper Missouri Valley Conference for football and basketball. Also, part of the deal will be that the MVC championship would take place in Sioux Falls for the foreseeable future of said conference. That is all.

Comment

An insider claims that the MVC is interested in and has been in discussions with 10 schools. SDSU is one of them.

Others mentioned: Murray State (OVC), Northern KY (Horizon), SE Missouri St (OVC), Belmont (OVC), Oakland (Horizon), Milwaukee (Horizon), Grand Canyon (WAC), UT Arlington (Sun Belt), and Denver (Summit).
      Don't see much to gain in moving to what has turned into another one bid conference, while increasing travel costs and losing regional rivalries.

Comment

Drake leads the mvc with a 3-0 record. They didnt look so good when they played us and usd. Actually rhey are tied with mo st

Comment

If it were the MVC of a few years ago, maybe. But right now, top to bottom, I would say that the Summit is better league.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Murray - likely, though not thrilled with them in the MVFC
            NKU - Can't see it, new to D1 and very happy (as is Oakland) in the Horizon
            SE MO - they would jump at it, same as Murray, not thrilled with them in the MVFC, and, if Murray gets the nod, SE MO are out, no way the XDSU's allow two MVC FB schools into the MVFC
            Belmont - maybe, but they have a pretty solid thing going in the OVC and they have turned down the MVC before
            Oakland - no way they are leaving. Their dream league, was/is the Horizon
            Milwaukee - if they get the invite they will take it
            GCU - no way in heck the public, or private schools in the MVC would accept GCU. Won't happen.
            UTA - no, they are not leaving the Sun Belt.
            Denver - maybe/not likely. The MVC wants them to add sports, they will not do it. Hockey is still #1 at DU. I don't see DU leaving for any league but the WCC.
            SDSU - won't happen unless either NDSU or USD are involved.

Comment

A new MVC with:

Missouri St
              Illinois State
              UNI
              Southern Illinois
              Western Illinois
              Indiana St
              SDSU
              NDSU
              USD
              UND

That's a tremendous BB league I must say, not to mention very like peer institutions. It will take the original MVC time to get used to it and even longer for them to see the value of a conference Championship in SF.
              But if we can get that 10 team conference together, even if we had to lose SF for a while. I really think that's the most viable scenario for both leagues for the long term
              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                A new MVC with:

Missouri St
                Illinois State
                UNI
                Southern Illinois
                Western Illinois
                Indiana St
                SDSU
                NDSU
                USD
                UND

That's a tremendous BB league I must say, not to mention very like peer institutions. It will take the original MVC time to get used to it and even longer for them to see the value of a conference Championship in SF.
                But if we can get that 10 team conference together, even if we had to lose SF for a while. I really think that's the most viable scenario for both leagues for the long term
                This could be the start of a great BB/FB conference. If it's only basketball, no Omaha? No Fort Wayne? Someone else might ask, where's Denver?

I think it would be nice to eventually be in one conference for all the major sports. The Summit tourney is not going to be in Sioux Falls forever. Other cities will be trying aggressively to woo it away. We shouldn't let the present location of the tourney blind us in looking at conference options for the future.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                  This could be the start of a great BB/FB conference. If it's only basketball, no Omaha? No Fort Wayne? Someone else might ask, where's Denver?

I think it would be nice to eventually be in one conference for all the major sports. The Summit tourney is not going to be in Sioux Falls forever. Other cities will be trying aggressively to woo it away. We shouldn't let the present location of the tourney blind us in looking at conference options for the future.
                  I think that we have built two programs that can compete for a conference championship anywhere, so keeping the tournament in SF isn't that big of a deal to me anymore. However, I think any conference would see the attendance numbers that are put up in Sioux Falls and find it difficult to move.

The only way I would be behind a move to a different conference would be an alignment like was laid out. A MVC North/South breakdown.
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

We've been making a name for ourselves just fine so far without the MVC. Looks like they're just throwing together a lot of schools that aren't much better than the current Summit is, some worse. It's got to be a better list than this one is.The all MVFC member list would be lots better, however. Sounds like they're putting out feelers for possibly expanding in the future is all, we could get stuck in a conference with who knows who and with members all over the place, a definate no to that.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                      A new MVC with:

Missouri St
                      Illinois State
                      UNI
                      Southern Illinois
                      Western Illinois
                      Indiana St
                      SDSU
                      NDSU
                      USD
                      UND

Based on that alignment, I'd say Des Moines makes much more geographic sense for a conference tournament than Sioux Falls. SF is 1 hour away from 2 schools, 4 hours from one and five from the next closest two and a lot farther for the rest. Des Moines is larger and is about as centrally located to that league. Only a couple of schools would be farther than 6 hours away. Count me as a fan of the MVFC BB/FB idea too, even if it did mean we couldn't host the tournament anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                        Based on that alignment, I'd say Des Moines makes much more geographic sense for a conference tournament than Sioux Falls. SF is 1 hour away from 2 schools, 4 hours from one and five from the next closest two and a lot farther for the rest. Des Moines is larger and is about as centrally located to that league. Only a couple of schools would be farther than 6 hours away. Count me as a fan of the MVFC BB/FB idea too, even if it did mean we couldn't host the tournament anymore.
                        Geographic, probably; Financially, I don’t think people realize the corporate financial support that goes into the Summit League Tournament.

Comment

I dont care so much if we stay or go, but if we stay the Summit needs to have a plan.

IPFW is as good as gone, if Denver is the choice there is a second one gone. If Murray State leaves the OVC, which most likely will happen, or Milwaukee is the 2nd choice then Western Illinois would be in play for either one of those conferences rather than being an eastern outlier in the Summit. Now we are on shaky ground if any of this happens....some most likely will.

So what are the backup plans. Another DI university in South Dakota or Minnesota just dilutes the talent pool and fan base. Would UNC leave the stability of the Big Sky for the revolving door of the Summit? Are we really going to beg UMKC to come back? What is ORU thinking knowing they could probably easily bail back to a more stable Southland? Is Omaha a target for the Horizon....a metro non-football school? Like I said, if we stay, fine....but do we have a plan?

Comment

In what world do you see the privates of the MVC walking off to another conference to leave football schools and public universities as the MVC? Thinking outside of the box is definitely in this dream. Additionally, the notion brought by UWMandSDSU of the corporate help for the SLT seems to be hugely underestimated. MVC fan must have had a dream rather than insider talk. 10 schools are in the mix with only 1 Dakota school is the first stretch.
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                              In what world do you see the privates of the MVC walking off to another conference to leave football schools and public universities as the MVC? Thinking outside of the box is definitely in this dream. Additionally, the notion brought by UWMandSDSU of the corporate help for the SLT seems to be hugely underestimated. MVC fan must have had a dream rather than insider talk. 10 schools are in the mix with only 1 Dakota school is the first stretch.
                              There was some article/blog that had the info listed. Not sure how legit but MVCFan wasn't dreaming.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                                There was some article/blog that had the info listed. Not sure how legit but MVCFan wasn't dreaming.
                                I need to start a blog then. When things are quiet, I could think outside the box. My trouble is that I need to hire an IT person to take care of the details.
                                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                                X