Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
    I'll be damned. Ok. But still, how much more does it cost to travel another 100-200 miles in the whole scheme? I'm not proposing anything but I just find the fact of travel costs to be just a talking point not a actual concern. JMO
    The NCAA has a mileage limit. If it’s under 300 miles you bus, if it’s over then you fly. That’s why regionalization of the playoffs is so rampant. It saves the NC$$ a buttload of money if they can have a team bus places. It’s also why if we don’t get seeded we are almost guaranteed to go to NDSU, we’re just geographically isolated from most every FCS school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
      I'll be damned. Ok. But still, how much more does it cost to travel another 100-200 miles in the whole scheme? I'm not proposing anything but I just find the fact of travel costs to be just a talking point not a actual concern. JMO
      If I'm not mistaken most of those teams want the MVC to be a bus league. Those extra couple hundred miles could be the difference between a 6 hour bus ride each way and a 9 hour one.

When Missouri played at NDSU this year it was whiteout conditions. That only cemented in some fans minds why they don't want their teams on a bus in the Dakotas in the middle of winter. Right, wrong or indifferent their perception is that the Dakota's are the only place it snows.

Comment

What I don't get is that teams fly a lot of places, and have to bus to the school and hotel. Schools make it seem like we have to fly into SF and drive to brookings is a horrible deal, but its only an hour. I would imagine a lot of bigger cities you are stuck in traffic and takes close to an hour to get from airport to the school or hotel even though they are in the same town.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          What I don't get is that teams fly a lot of places, and have to bus to the school and hotel. Schools make it seem like we have to fly into SF and drive to brookings is a horrible deal, but its only an hour. I would imagine a lot of bigger cities you are stuck in traffic and takes close to an hour to get from airport to the school or hotel even though they are in the same town.

I was honestly just thinking about this. I feel like with Sioux Falls and its' airport being smaller than most, travel time to hotels and to the school would actually be about the same if not less. It comes down to the idea the airport is not in the same city as the school and having to come to South Dakota of all places.
          Rollin' in my 5.0
          With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
          Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

The more I read and think about this, the way MVC makes sense if it goes full sports and merges with MVFC. The current membership of the MVFC being the membership for the new MVC.

I would also have a lot of discussions with the current MVC if they came with a proposal though.
            Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
            -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              The difference being that during the winter that hour drive can turn into 1.5+ hours in dangerous weather.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Would MVC teams be able to budget a charter now and then? Come straight into Brookings that way

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post
                  Would MVC teams be able to budget a charter now and then? Come straight into Brookings that way
                  I think this would be more of a possibility with MVC teams. Teams like Bowling Green (W) and Wichita State (W) both chartered directly into Brookings this year.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                    I think this would be more of a possibility with MVC teams. Teams like Bowling Green (W) and Wichita State (W) both chartered directly into Brookings this year.
                    Why would MVC teams be more likely to charter than any other teams?

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                      Why would MVC teams be more likely to charter than any other teams?
                      What is larger budgets?

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                        What is larger budgets?
                        The Pen is Mightier.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                          What is larger budgets?
                          You are correct. I'm not sure all MVC teams have such large budgets but yes some are.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            The Pen is Mightier.

Well played!!! Must spread rep.

Comment

Since we have the SDSU flight school, maybe SDSU could make a deal with these schools. Purchase a plane and have one of the students (with an instructor) pick up and deliver these teams home for a nominal fee. Solves all the complaints about not having a direct flight to Brookings for those teams while giving a student valuable training and a little money in the SDSU pocket book. Win/Win!!

Comment

• Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

For what it’s worth, here’s what Zimmer had to say about this MVC conjecture in today’s live chat. Apparently he has yet to hear the sales pitch.

“Oh, God, not this again...

No. It's a terrible idea and it's not happening.

Playing Illinois State and Indiana State instead of Western Illinois and Omaha is not something your average fan cares about. And yes, the conference tournament is far more important than whatever name recognition college hoops junkies think they'll get from moving.”

(Without the SLT)”It's possible SDSU would still be looking for its first men's NCAA tournament appearance. It's possible Nate Wolters never would've come to SDSU.
                                What do you think is the bigger recruiting chip? The SLT in front of 10K at SF or a game at Frost in front of 2K?
                                But yeah, by all means, give that up so you can play in Des Moines.
                                Another thing: Who's name is on the football stadium? Who's name is on the SJAC? Where are they based out of? Yeah, I'm sure they'd be all on board with bolting the Summit so you can play Bradley and Loyola and Evansville. -
                                f the Summit falls apart on its own, so be it. Then SDSU will have to make a decision. Being an active part of killing it would be monumentally stupid. I can't stress that enough.”

Plus a lot more.....
                                Last edited by Southeast; 01-11-2018, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X