Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    I need to start a blog then. When things are quiet, I could think outside the box. My trouble is that I need to hire an IT person to take care of the details.
    I'd read your blog, OldHareyOne. You do good research. I really like your BB game previews!
    This space for lease.

Comment

http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/wh...mvc-expansion/

I think this is where he got some of the info.

Comment

Yes, and this insider got the list of schools from talking with Elgin (MVC commissioner) and other MVC officials (who didn't want their names mentioned).

Comment

• Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
          Geographic, probably; Financially, I don’t think people realize the corporate financial support that goes into the Summit League Tournament.
          A) do you really think the Summits Corporate sponsees beat out the ones for Arch Madness in St Louis when they get much more prime TV coverage in a much larger market?

B) People are wayyyy to hung up on the SLT being in Sioux Falls deciding what conference we are in. You don’t think being in a conference with teams like ISUr and UNI will make us raise our game? Seriously? You think those teams won’t be good again? With what they invest? You think our current conference make up is as good as the MVC when it’s a BIG DEAL for us to just have home games vs MVC teams OOC? Come on guys. Let’s be a little bit objective here with that. We get excited to have a MVC team as a OOC opponent, let alone as a home game. Yet somehow the Summit is as good as the MVC? We don’t even have a stable future in the Summit ffs. We’re looking at drawing in UMKC?!?!? Good grief I’m all for making the Summit great and it would be wonderful if we could but the opportunity to make it great in the MVC is much higher especially to raise the profile of the university.

C) I would like to see NDSU come with us if we do go to the MVC. I think both schools would raise their game and bring the conference up with them, just like they have done with every conference they have joined since the jump to DI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
            A) do you really think the Summits Corporate sponsees beat out the ones for Arch Madness in St Louis when they get much more prime TV coverage in a much larger market?

I responded to a post about the tournament being in a geographic location in Des Moines, nothing about the Arch Madness in St Louis.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              I responded to a post about the tournament being in a geographic location in Des Moines, nothing about the Arch Madness in St Louis.
              Fair enough. I missed that. My bad.

Comment

Fair enough. I missed that. My bad.

Just an FYI, I voted I would support the move to MVC in the poll above.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                  http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/wh...mvc-expansion/

I think this is where he got some of the info.
                  OK. This clears up a bunch that was not indicated by MVCFan. First of all the list is including only schools that have had some degree of success in basketball. Also, an important note that is in the article is that Elgin has only reached a spot that he is willing to consider expanding from 10 to 12 basketball members. In the past, Elgin would not entertain the conversation. He is likely to be a bit more attentive to that notion only due to MVC becoming a one bid conference these days. Another line item is that any new member would fit the footprint and/or bring a crowd to the Arch Madness. Wichita State may have been a large part of the Arch Madness which may be part of the meeting scheduled for March. The chances this conference has any concern for FCS football is not likely. Any new members are likely to be required to add appropriate sports which was unclear. The MVC also has Drake as the first place team to this date. They have 3 losses to Summit teams and they have not played MoSt yet. There was no reference to Patty V and the MVFC. If there is any change, 2019-20 would be the very quickest any motion would occur. The author refers to backroom conversations that will not be available to the public which could also be said of any conference leadership these days.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Can somebody show me some tangible reasons to join the MVC ? Like how much $ each member school gets for a tv deal or exposure I've heard about? I see the current MVC and the summit league as 1 bid leagues and will remain that for the foreseeable future. The MVC has survived largely due to one school and now that cash cow has moved on. I can't say I'm totally against it but I can't say I see this big benefit either?

Comment

• Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

That’s always been an issue for me. I know what the MVC WAS, I don’t know what it WILL BE five years from now when the shining stars WSU and Creighton are a distant memory. How much will their cache be worth to a tv network without a “national” brand. How big of a draw will their tourney continue to be? If winning a game or two in the men’s NCAA Tournament is the ultimate mid-major prize, moving from a one bid league to another (tougher) one bid league doesn’t sound so amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                        Can somebody show me some tangible reasons to join the MVC ? Like how much $ each member school gets for a tv deal or exposure I've heard about? I see the current MVC and the summit league as 1 bid leagues and will remain that for the foreseeable future. The MVC has survived largely due to one school and now that cash cow has moved on. I can't say I'm totally against it but I can't say I see this big benefit either?
                        I would only have one reason to entertain the idea....the long term viability of the Summit. If our current conference can stay stable long term without adding more South Dakota or Minnesota schools I'm all for staying. My gut feeling says we are going to find that out in the next couple of years. Is the Great West still available?

Comment

The argument that the MVC is a falling star is a fair one. That being said, a falling MVC is much more stable than the Summit, which is undeniably a revolving door. Competitively, I agree that the MVC may not offer much else than the Summit, and that both are 1 bid leagues. However, playing with schools named Indiana State and Missouri State fits our profile as a university better than playing with the commuter branch schools of IPFW, UMKC, IUPUI, etc. I also think there's major benefit ro having all major sports in one league. Part of what makes the Big Sky more stable is that the league has most of its schools playing in all sports.

To me, stability, higher profile schools, and all sports in one league are the biggest reason's for the MVC. Not the mythical extra bid.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                            The argument that the MVC is a falling star is a fair one. That being said, a falling MVC is much more stable than the Summit, which is undeniably a revolving door. Competitively, I agree that the MVC may not offer much else than the Summit, and that both are 1 bid leagues. However, playing with schools named Indiana State and Missouri State fits our profile as a university better than playing with the commuter branch schools of IPFW, UMKC, IUPUI, etc. I also think there's major benefit ro having all major sports in one league. Part of what makes the Big Sky more stable is that the league has most of its schools playing in all sports.

To me, stability, higher profile schools, and all sports in one league are the biggest reason's for the MVC. Not the mythical extra bid.
                            I agree mostly. One thing to point out though, the MVC and MVFC are not one and the same they are completely separate from each other.

I would argue that adding two top programs from the Summit to the MVC would add to the possibility of making it what it was again as a two bid league, but that argument doesn’t have much traction around here because we love the SLT so much.

Comment

I would argue that adding two top programs from the Summit to the MVC would add to the possibility of making it what it was again as a two bid league, but that argument doesn’t have much traction around here because we love the SLT so much.
                              Yes, exactly. The MVC could become a multi-bid league again. The summit never will be. However, winning the SLT should always be easier than getting an at-large out of the MVC.

The summit is not a good conference, let's just be honest with ourselves. It's the kind of league you can join after just moving to D1. Now if you're arguing that the MVC is devolving into that? I'm open to that possibility but I see that as a much less likely scenario.

Comment

Do you know who Gonzaga is because of what conference they are in or because they are in the tournament every year?

Comment

Working...
                                X