Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Would you support SDSU moving the MVC? (poll)

Hasn't there been rumors of a re-organization/shake-up of the P5 and G5 conferences that would involve G5 schools moving both up and down in classification ? If that is going to eventually happen, I don't think it makes sense for schools like SDSU to make any conference moves until that shakes out.

Comment

I agree with OldHare that it is very unlikely that a MVC invite is anywhere in our future. They are currently enamored of Murray State and to a lesser degree Belmont and St. Louis. Heck, even with ORU and NDSU beating their preseason favorite they still have the ability to look down on us like we wouldn't belong because we don't pay our coaches enough. Seems coach pay is less important than results, but whatever.

As for Douple, can we really say he has done a bad job. Since we have joined the conference it seems that for every team that leaves, a better team has stepped in to replace it. Geography just isn't good for us or the conference location, and yet the Summit has steadily improved. That being said, if something crazy happened and the MVC did invite us, we would be silly not to make that move.

Personally I much prefer a move to join with the northern Big Sky schools such a UNC and the Montana schools to more of an all sports league. Granted the geography on that sucks as well, but at least we would be joining with like minded institutions. This mix of public and private schools (who don't have FB) just creates a weird match that doesn't seem to create quite the rivalry interest. I certainly think that a men's/women's BB game against Montana would probably draw more interest than one against IPFW. But this scenario is probably more unlikely than a MVC invite, so...

Comment

Well I think it would be easier to get OOC home games if we were in the MVC. I know it is very difficult scheduling with only 8 teams. Here is an article of explaining some of the difficulties in scheduling games

http://www.toledoblade.com/College/2...-schedule.html
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
          Well I think it would be easier to get OOC home games if we were in the MVC. I know it is very difficult scheduling with only 8 teams. Here is an article of explaining some of the difficulties in scheduling games

http://www.toledoblade.com/College/2...-schedule.html
          It appeared that South Dakota and North Dakota were not geographical destinations due to travel. It sounded like location was important. This quote is from the Bowling Green coach."“The Horizon League is close, and they’re in the same boat we are,” Huger said. “The Summit League is good, but it’s so spread out. Do you want to go to Denver or South Dakota to play games?”
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
            It appeared that South Dakota and North Dakota were not geographical destinations due to travel. It sounded like location was important. This quote is from the Bowling Green coach."“The Horizon League is close, and they’re in the same boat we are,” Huger said. “The Summit League is good, but it’s so spread out. Do you want to go to Denver or South Dakota to play games?”
            Well my point was being in the MVC with a 12 team league will be easier to schedule than a Summit League with 8 teams. By being in an 8 team league vs. a 12 team league you need to find 4 more home games being in the Summit than the MVC.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
              Well my point was being in the MVC with a 12 team league will be easier to schedule than a Summit League with 8 teams. By being in an 8 team league vs. a 12 team league you need to find 4 more home games being in the Summit than the MVC.
              That is a great point that we keep hoping that Douple will get us up to 10. At least now, it appears 9 for next year. I thought the MVC was a 10 team league??
              Drake 4-0 10-7 Missouri State 3-1 13-4
              Illinois State 3-1 9-7
              Loyola 2-2 12-4
              Bradley 2-2 12-5
              Southern Illinois 2-2 10-7
              Indiana State 2-2 7-9
              Evansville 1-3 11-6
              Valparaiso 1-3 10-7
              UNI 0-4 8-8
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                That is a great point that we keep hoping that Douple will get us up to 10. At least now, it appears 9 for next year. I thought the MVC was a 10 team league??
                Drake 4-0 10-7 Missouri State 3-1 13-4
                Illinois State 3-1 9-7
                Loyola 2-2 12-4
                Bradley 2-2 12-5
                Southern Illinois 2-2 10-7
                Indiana State 2-2 7-9
                Evansville 1-3 11-6
                Valparaiso 1-3 10-7
                UNI 0-4 8-8
                The MVC wants to add two teams to get to 12 teams. The Summit League would be down to 8 teams again if SDSU got an invite and accepted.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

I could be way off base here. But most of these instituions have invested millions upon millions in their athletic departments. I have heard that travel costs are a concern. So how does traveling another couple hundred miles really matter? Just economically speaking?

Comment

Did our athletic dept. have the trip to JMU budgeted, how about if they won down there, then a trip to Frisco? I just can't grasp the concept of trying to save a few thousand in a multi-million budget? Whether or not to move is not a concern of mine because my opinion doesn't matter and I don't know the insides and outs either.

Comment

I was told (which means I haven't independently researched the issue) by someone who I think would know the actual facts, that the NCAA pays the travel expenses for the teams in the FCS playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        I was told (which means I haven't independently researched the issue) by someone who I think would know the actual facts, that the NCAA pays the travel expenses for the teams in the FCS playoffs.
                        This. That is why we were often times shipped to NDSU year after year for playoffs. NCAA saving money on travel expenses.

Comment

I'll be damned. Ok. But still, how much more does it cost to travel another 100-200 miles in the whole scheme? I'm not proposing anything but I just find the fact of travel costs to be just a talking point not a actual concern. JMO

Comment

The NCAA lines up several chartered jets and those same jets fly around the country ferrying teams around. One year our team and those accompanying the team sat in the Missoula airport waiting for the charter...I think it finally flew in and they boarded at something like 2 or 3 am. for the trip home (if my memory is working, that was the game Marc Mariana took us apart).

Comment

I'll buy that, when we were boarding to leave for the playoff game there was a SunCountry plane sitting at the tarmac at SF

Comment

The NCAA puts out bids for the air charter and pays that. Then they provide a per diem payment per person that covers motel and meals. The schools pay that up front, then turn in receipts to the NCAA for reimbursement not to exceed the daily per diem. An example would be if you traveled and say the per diem reimbursement was $150 per person, anything above that is covered by the schools. They use some sort of cost of travel method into the area where games are held.

Comment

Working...
                                X