Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit WBB 2017-18

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    I agree that the MidcoCoverage for Basketball sucks. But to play Devil's advocate, is there any chance that was driven by ratings or market share? NDSU is located in Fargo, which probably pulls more TV sets than Sioux Falls, given that no summit school is based there. Factor in the well noted and constantly talked about college sports apathy in South Dakota, and you've got a potential reason to show more NDSU games. With UND's large hockey fanbase, I think you've got your answer on the contract coverage.

That's all speculation, but it isn't hard to see how MidcoCo might have come to the decision to show more NDSU games than the South Dakota schools combined. I have no idea if the viewership is higher in ND than SD, but my guess is that they think it will be, and therefore they are featuring the team that commands that market. Also, for MidcoCo to get coverage of NDSU Olympic sports, they probably had to offer a pretry high coverage contract to outbid NDSU's previous media rights holder, who I am guessing was NBC North Dakota (who still runs their football coverage I believe).

I don't like it, but I'm guessing this has more to do with the number of TV sets tuning in or the necessary contract offerings to obtain NDSU's media rights than mere chance or an effort to blackout SD school coverage.
    I think you are on to something I not sure what. Marketing is a big part of their decisions.

Comment

While I'm sure they do, I don't know why they'd be negotiating fewer games? Not sure what you're implying there.
      I don't have a clue what the contract is but I would think TV would cut down on ticket sales.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
        Love to be able to watch all games on tv, but its one of several factors killing home attendence.
        I think there's some truth to that, but it's way overblown at a school of our size. Where that problem has been documented as happening a lot more is your large schools, with higher ticket prices. I'd rather be exposed to more TV sets and grow interest that way than blackout certain games in hopes that the fraction of fans who wouldn't travel if the game was on TV decide to show up. NDSU has had every home football games on NBC North Dakota for years. Being on every TV set in the state certainly hasn't hurt their attendence, just like most other successful programs.

I won't argue that being on TV more doesn't encourage some fans to stay away and watch on TV. That definitely does happen. But I think the benefits of more TV exposure for a school that's been D1 for 14 years far outweigh the negatives of that exposure. If we had already reached our maximum potential as a fanbase, I think there'd be more weight in the TV side effect argument. But I think we can all agree that there is room to grow for our fanbase, and more exposure = more interest. In order to grow our attendence in anything, we have to get fans here to experience game day. We may lose some fans when there's a TV option, but we also aren't going to get anyone up here who doesn't care about SDSU to begin with. If we're on TV more, you might begin to generate some of that interest necessary for those new fans to take the next step and drive up here for a game.

Comment

I think there's some truth to that, but it's way overblown at a school of our size. Where that problem has been documented as happening a lot more is your large schools, with higher ticket prices. I'd rather be exposed to more TV sets and grow interest that way than blackout certain games in hopes that the fraction of fans who wouldn't travel if the game was on TV decide to show up. NDSU has had every home football games on NBC North Dakota for years. Being on every TV set in the state certainly hasn't hurt their attendence, just like most other successful programs.

I won't argue that being on TV more doesn't encourage some fans to stay away and watch on TV. That definitely does happen. But I think the benefits of more TV exposure for a school that's been D1 for 14 years far outweigh the negatives of that exposure. If we had already reached our maximum potential as a fanbase, I think there'd be more weight in the TV side effect argument. But I think we can all agree that there is room to grow for our fanbase, and more exposure = more interest. In order to grow our attendence in anything, we have to get fans here to experience game day. We may lose some fans when there's a TV option, but we also aren't going to get anyone up here who doesn't care about SDSU to begin with. If we're on TV more, you might begin to generate some of that interest necessary for those new fans to take the next step and drive up here for a game.
          And I think it's way overblown the school our size can convert more fans into the stands by more exposure on tv etc. I think reality is we have kind of maxed out attendence in todays world. The days of getting people to line up at Frost and have 9,000 in attendence is in our rear view mirror and not just because we don't have the capacity or lack of doubleheaders on a Friday and Saturday against a regional foe.

Comment

I think it’s a general fear of TV taking away from attendance. Whether that currently applies to SDSU is a question that requires a marketing study that I would consider money well spent.

Comment

I agree that the MidcoCoverage for Basketball sucks. But to play Devil's advocate, is there any chance that was driven by ratings or market share? NDSU is located in Fargo, which probably pulls more TV sets than Sioux Falls, given that no summit school is based there. Factor in the well noted and constantly talked about college sports apathy in South Dakota, and you've got a potential reason to show more NDSU games. With UND's large hockey fanbase, I think you've got your answer on the contract coverage. ...
              "Well noted and constantly talked about college sports apathy in South Dakota?" Oh, come on. NDSU gets big crowds for football. That's it. Have you counted the audience at a women's basketball game in Fargo? Men and women's basketball at SDSU get good crowds, by league standards. And have you even been to the Summit tourney in Sioux Falls?
              Last edited by Jacked_Up; 01-21-2018, 08:30 PM.
              This space for lease.

Comment

You can watch the rerun of the FT Wayne @ NDSU WBB game right now. There is a chance more people will watch this than attended the game.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                  Well noted and constantly talked about college sports apathy in South Dakota? Oh, come on. NDSU gets big crowds for football. That's it. Have you counted the audience at women's basketball game in Fargo? Men and women's basketball at SDSU get good crowds, by league standards. Have you even been to the Summit tourney in Sioux Falls?
                  The apathy comment partially was in jest to all of the banter in the football thread about attendence issues. But there's some truth to it. And I have been to summit tourney, 5 out of the last 7 years, to each game, all session. I've lived in Brookings, other areas of South Dakota, and other states.

And I stand by my comment that generally speaking, your average South Dakotan does not care much about college sports (especially local college sports). If they did, we wouldn't have an annual thread on the football forum about low attendence amongst fans and students or a thread discussing whether having more games on TV is causing low fan turnout...

When 10,000 more people come to a Thursday night Luke Bryan concert than the actual opening Saturday game for the stadium, you can't tell me we don't have an apathy problem here.

Comment

The apathy comment partially was in jest to all of the banter in the football thread about attendence issues. But there's some truth to it. And I have been to summit tourney, 5 out of the last 7 years, to each game, all session. I've lived in Brookings, other areas of South Dakota, and other states.

And I stand by my comment that generally speaking, your average South Dakotan does not care much about college sports (especially local college sports). If they did, we wouldn't have an annual thread on the football forum about low attendence amongst fans and students or a thread discussing whether having more games on TV is causing low fan turnout...

When 10,000 more people come to a Thursday night Luke Bryan concert than the actual opening Saturday game for the stadium, you can't tell me we don't have an apathy problem here.
                    I didn't realize that there were over 25,000 at that concert (and I was there.)

Comment

• Re: Summit WBB 2017-18

USD 6-0
                      SDSU 5-0
                      WIU 4-2
                      ORU 4-3
                      DU 3-3
                      NDSU 1-4
                      FW 1-6
                      Omaha 0-6

A few surprises on the women side of the conference have the Leathernecks in 3rd place and the Pioneers are coached up to the middle(they will have a home upset sometime this year). The Leathernecks have 2 home games(Denver & NDSU) this week to finish the first round. They have already had 2 wins over Ft Wayne in the schedule. First place for the conference will be determined Thursday at Frost for those who do not watch Midco in the nearby area.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                        USD 6-0
                        SDSU 5-0
                        WIU 4-2
                        ORU 4-3
                        DU 3-3
                        NDSU 1-4
                        FW 1-6
                        Omaha 0-6

A few surprises on the women side of the conference have the Leathernecks in 3rd place and the Pioneers are coached up to the middle(they will have a home upset sometime this year). The Leathernecks have 2 home games(Denver & NDSU) this week to finish the first round. They have already had 2 wins over Ft Wayne in the schedule. First place for the conference will be determined Thursday at Frost for those who do not watch Midco in the nearby area.
                        I see what ya did there.

Comment

#3 vs #21 MidMajor WBB Thursday at Frost as the Jackrabbits host Coyotes.

Comment

The season seems to be coming into focus and I think has really kind of played out how you could have projected it based off the OOC schedule. The only change I have made is to drop WIU a full tier below the SD schools as 2 lopsided losses (including 1 at home) don't bode well for their ability to battle for a championship. WIU is kind of like us from last year, completely reliant on it's starting 5.

Here's how I break it down as I don't really see much changing in the 2nd half of the season.

Tier 1
                            USD 6-0
                            SDSU 5-0

Tier 2
                            WIU 4-2

Tier 3
                            ORU 4-3

Tier 4
                            DU 3-3

Tier 5

Tier 6
                            NDSU 1-4
                            FW 1-6
                            Omaha 0-6

I think the Jacks ultimately win the conference. The rest of the tiers seem pretty set. I'm convinced that ultimately FW will end up on the bottom of the pile with a battle between NDSU and Omaha for 2nd to worst.

Comment

4 days after the Jacks hold Western to 48 pts they hang 118 on Denver as the teams combine for a record 36 three pointers. Basketball is a funny sport.
                              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

USD 8-0
                                SDSU 6-1
                                WIU 6-2
                                ORU 4-3
                                Denver 3-5
                                Omaha 1-6
                                NDSU 1-6
                                FW 1-7

Each team has a win after this week. The interesting note for this week may be the Leathernecks making 37 3 pt shots in their 2 games against Denver and NDSU. They have games this week on the road against USD and ORU. Will they continue to be hot or will the better defenses slow the scoring?

Comment

Working...
                                X