Summit WBB 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit WBB 2017-18

Fort Wayne vs. NDSU? That will be an extremely weak draw for on-site fans. It's a very questionable programming decision.
    This space for lease.

Comment

The USD administration doesn't have the conundrum that SDSU does with fans not coming to games because it's on TV.

USD fans don't go to the games either way, might as well put them all on TV.
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
        The USD administration doesn't have the conundrum that SDSU does with fans not coming to games because it's on TV.

USD fans don't go to the games either way, might as well put them all on TV.
        The place will be filled Wednesday for their super bowl.

Comment

Heck with Midco....that's why I have Jackrabbit all-access and if they don't have more SDSU games, i might just drop Midco altogether, that's the only reason I have Midco anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
            Heck with Midco....that's why I have Jackrabbit all-access and if they don't have more SDSU games, i might just drop Midco altogether, that's the only reason I have Midco anyway.
            I’m with you. It’s like $10 per month, and gold to a guy like me with young kids making it very difficult to drive 200 miles to and from the games.

Midco schedules their games far in advance and appears to try and spread things out equally. I’m sure they’re not thrilled with the deal either. That being said, did 200 people tune in for that NDSU/FW battle?

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post
              Midco has seemed to air a lot more USD games this year no matter the quality of their opponent. I feel like there is a bias developing in their coverage.
              I was curious to see if this was true and here's what I pulled from NDSU/SDSU/USD/UND schedules to find how many games were on MidcoSN. It appears that NDSU got the good contract and everyone else is getting shafted...

NDSU Men: 15 (every home game including NAIA, D2, & exhibitions)
              NDSU Women: 15 (every home game including NAIA, D2, & exhibitions)

SDSU Men: 6 (UND, 5 vs Summit teams)
              SDSU Women: 6 (UND, Louisville, OU, 3 vs Summit teams)

USD Men: 7 (Grambling, Drake, EWU, 4 vs Summit teams)
              USD Women: 7 (Creighton, CSU Bakersfield, UC Riverside, UND, 3 vs Summit teams)

UND Men: 5 (NDSU, Idaho, EWU, Weber St, Southern Utah)
              UND Women: 5 (NDSU, Montana St, Weber St, Idaho St, Sacramento St)

Comment

2 wins among the bottom 3 teams. Like the men's side, the big game next week is Coyote/Jackrabbit Showdown.
                Jan. 20 Omaha * 46 South Dakota 70 Final
                TV: MidcoSN / ESPN3
                Fort Wayne * 56 North Dakota State 72 Final
                TV: MidcoSN2 / ESPN3
                Western Illinois * 48 South Dakota State 84 Final
                Denver * 60 Oral Roberts 90 Final
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by FeaRed View Post
                  I was curious to see if this was true and here's what I pulled from NDSU/SDSU/USD/UND schedules to find how many games were on MidcoSN. It appears that NDSU got the good contract and everyone else is getting shafted...

I was going to say NDSU ,because I went to MidcoSN a couple of times to see if they had any video clips on the Jackrabbits I might have missed. Everyone of them just about was a team from the state of North Dakota. Also, Midco got rid of all their 1/2 hr programs ,except for a 1/2 hr program "the Bison basketball show". I was wondering if NDSU paid Midco to air that, since they got rid of all the other school specialty shows and replaced them with the hr long daily show "Midco Sports Tonight". To me, Midco's sports coverage for the things I like to watch has got worse instead of better.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                    I was going to say NDSU ,because I went to MidcoSN a couple of times to see if they had any video clips on the Jackrabbits I might have missed. Everyone of them just about was a team from the state of North Dakota. Also, Midco got rid of all their 1/2 hr programs ,except for a 1/2 hr program "the Bison basketball show". I was wondering if NDSU paid Midco to air that, since they got rid of all the other school specialty shows and replaced them with the hr long daily show "Midco Sports Tonight". To me, Midco's sports coverage for the things I like to watch has got worse instead of better.
                    I agree that dropping the weekly half-hour Jacks show was a major downgrade in coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by FeaRed View Post

Wow. That's a telling roundup. Factor in all the UND hockey that Midco features, and NoDak schools dominate the live scheduling. That sucks.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                        Wow. That's a telling roundup. Factor in all the UND hockey that Midco features, and NoDak schools dominate the live scheduling. That sucks.
                        Wow, I didn't even look at hockey. They've got 19 hockey games on Midco this year

Comment

I agree that the MidcoCoverage for Basketball sucks. But to play Devil's advocate, is there any chance that was driven by ratings or market share? NDSU is located in Fargo, which probably pulls more TV sets than Sioux Falls, given that no summit school is based there. Factor in the well noted and constantly talked about college sports apathy in South Dakota, and you've got a potential reason to show more NDSU games. With UND's large hockey fanbase, I think you've got your answer on the contract coverage.

That's all speculation, but it isn't hard to see how MidcoCo might have come to the decision to show more NDSU games than the South Dakota schools combined. I have no idea if the viewership is higher in ND than SD, but my guess is that they think it will be, and therefore they are featuring the team that commands that market. Also, for MidcoCo to get coverage of NDSU Olympic sports, they probably had to offer a pretry high coverage contract to outbid NDSU's previous media rights holder, who I am guessing was NBC North Dakota (who still runs their football coverage I believe).

I don't like it, but I'm guessing this has more to do with the number of TV sets tuning in or the necessary contract offerings to obtain NDSU's media rights than mere chance or an effort to blackout SD school coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                            I agree that the MidcoCoverage for Basketball sucks. But to play Devil's advocate, is there any chance that was driven by ratings or market share? NDSU is located in Fargo, which probably pulls more TV sets than Sioux Falls, given that no summit school is based there. Factor in the well noted and constantly talked about college sports apathy in South Dakota, and you've got a potential reason to show more NDSU games. With UND's large hockey fanbase, I think you've got your answer on the contract coverage.

That's all speculation, but it isn't hard to see how MidcoCo might have come to the decision to show more NDSU games than the South Dakota schools combined. I have no idea if the viewership is higher in ND than SD, but my guess is that they think it will be, and therefore they are featuring the team that commands that market. Also, for MidcoCo to get coverage of NDSU Olympic sports, they probably had to offer a pretry high coverage contract to outbid NDSU's previous media rights holder, who I am guessing was NBC North Dakota (who still runs their football coverage I believe).

I don't like it, but I'm guessing this has more to do with the number of TV sets tuning in or the necessary contract offerings to obtain NDSU's media rights than mere chance or an effort to blackout SD school coverage.
                            SDSU may also have input on how many games they allow Midco to broadcast?

Comment

Love to be able to watch all games on tv, but its one of several factors killing home attendence.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                                SDSU may also have input on how many games they allow Midco to broadcast?
                                While I'm sure they do, I don't know why they'd be negotiating fewer games? Not sure what you're implying there.

Comment

Working...
                                X