New here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here

Hey y'all I'm new to the board. I was trying to get some information on CSNBBS but your fan base isn't very active over there so I figured I'd come to the source. I am a veteran and currently a junior at the University of South Carolina in the Physical Education program. My wife and I are thinking of moving to South Dakota after I graduate , particularly the Sioux Falls area. I researched the travel time and both universities (U of SD and SDSU) seem to be about an hour from Sioux Falls. I am wanting to get a masters from one of the schools in education administration and my wife is wanting to eventually get a pharmd (obviously SDSU). What are the pros and cons to each school and what should we think about as far as living in the area (we have a newborn)? I have never lived in/visited SD so I know very little besides what I can find online. Any info would help thanks!

Re: New here

Well, the majority of SD will tell you Brookings is nicer than Vermillion by a long shot. Unless they are a usd grad. They won't admit that. I'll let someone else answer the rest, there's a couple guys on here who went to both places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by ewglenn View Post
      Hey y'all I'm new to the board. I was trying to get some information on CSNBBS but your fan base isn't very active over there so I figured I'd come to the source. I am a veteran and currently a junior at the University of South Carolina in the Physical Education program. My wife and I are thinking of moving to South Dakota after I graduate , particularly the Sioux Falls area. I researched the travel time and both universities (U of SD and SDSU) seem to be about an hour from Sioux Falls. I am wanting to get a masters from one of the schools in education administration and my wife is wanting to eventually get a pharmd (obviously SDSU). What are the pros and cons to each school and what should we think about as far as living in the area (we have a newborn)? I have never lived in/visited SD so I know very little besides what I can find online. Any info would help thanks!
      When you get here, drive to both campuses/cities and take a look. It won't take long for you to decide. I would recommend living in NW Sioux Falls for a closer commute. Dell Rapids is also very nice if you like a smaller town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I Live in Hartford and Grew up in SF. I can tell you I much prefer being outside of town in a smaller Community. If you love the convenience of being close to a bunch of retail then town is probably for you. if out like urban living the DT scene is really blossoming. If you move to hartford look me up.

Comment

I attended SDSU for my undergrad degree and USD for my MBA (although this was completely online). The only compliment I can give USD is that their business and law schools are superior to SDSU. Having said that, I believe that SDSU and Brookings have much more to offer than USD and Vermillion. I have heard good things about the education department at SDSU and it looks like you already know about their pharmacy department. As far as living in the area, parts of Sioux Falls are nice, but I live in Dell Rapids and it is a great small town (around 3500 people). It is just over a half hour to Brookings and about 15-20 minutes to Sioux Falls. If I were attending SDSU, I would live in Brookings or if you wanted to be closer to Sioux Falls, I would live in Dell Rapids. Sioux Falls to Brookings is a long drive, especially for a full time student. I work about 15 minutes North of Dell Rapids and I love being in between work and Sioux Falls, as we eat, shop, and attend events in Sioux Falls often. If you have any specific questions about Dell Rapids or even Brookings or SDSU, feel free to PM me.

Comment

Sioux Falls is where you'll want to live. It's an easy drive to each town, and an amazing place to live.

I work in education and a lot of my colleagues have gotten their master's degrees from University of Sioux Falls. I would look into that program as an option as well.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

As far as Sioux Falls goes, East side is nice doesn't seem as busy. West side of town is more retail and entertainment and traffic. Otherwise traffic is not bad really aside from like 30 minutes for rush hour. As far as USD and SDSU, academics are great at both. Campus and town I think SDSU and Brookings is nicer. My wife from USD would admit to that also. As far as your masters degree, if you haven't check out the online options from both schools. Commuting isn't bad, just SD winter weather can suck to travel in.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

As far as Sioux Falls goes, East side is nice doesn't seem as busy. West side of town is more retail and entertainment and traffic. Otherwise traffic is not bad really aside from like 30 minutes for rush hour. As far as USD and SDSU, academics are great at both. Campus and town I think SDSU and Brookings is nicer. My wife from USD would admit to that also. As far as your masters degree, if you haven't check out the online options from both schools. Commuting isn't bad, just SD winter weather can suck to travel in.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Thank you all for the information. Is there anyone here that has lived outside of SD that could compare the state to another. Obviously I'm from SC but I did live in Louisville Kentucky for a year. I think I'll make SDSU my first choice. I saw the online program is offered through the Brookings campus. Is the online degree the same degree that you receive from on campus? USC's online school, Palmetto College, is not the same degree that Columbia students receive which is why I ask. Also my wife has a bachelor of science Criminal Justice Strategic Intelligence would there be a decent job market in SF before she goes to Pharmacy School? How are the public schools for kids in SF? One of our main priorities is making sure our daughter gets a top notch education. Sorry to ask all these questions but you guys/gals are being very helpful lol.

Comment

Thank you all for the information. Is there anyone here that has lived outside of SD that could compare the state to another. Obviously I'm from SC but I did live in Louisville Kentucky for a year. I think I'll make SDSU my first choice. I saw the online program is offered through the Brookings campus. Is the online degree the same degree that you receive from on campus? USC's online school, Palmetto College, is not the same degree that Columbia students receive which is why I ask. Also my wife has a bachelor of science Criminal Justice Strategic Intelligence would there be a decent job market in SF before she goes to Pharmacy School? How are the public schools for kids in SF? One of our main priorities is making sure our daughter gets a top notch education. Sorry to ask all these questions but you guys/gals are being very helpful lol.
                    Your wife might want to look into Zuercher Tech. for jobs; they've appeared in my LinkedIn job feed, but I lack the CJUS experience she has. The SD DOL's Dakota Roots program might be of benefit to you both in your job search, although I have heard mixed reviews on that. If you have a good idea of the type of post-grad. job you want, you could network with and inquire about how local ed. administrators view the online degrees, as some disciplines/fields question the legitimacy of online degrees as compared to traditional coursework. You may also be able to complete coursework at University Center.

As to your question about SD compared to other states, I've lived in NY, WA, MT, and SC (it's been nearly a decade for the latter three and four years since I lived in upstate NY for the second time), and always knew I wanted to return to SD. You may find SD less prone to innovate in terms of social policy than even states like MT, but there are pockets of progressive thinking (Brookings and Sioux Falls being two examples for me).

Comment

Thank you all for the information. Is there anyone here that has lived outside of SD that could compare the state to another. Obviously I'm from SC but I did live in Louisville Kentucky for a year.
                      I've lived in Florida (Orlando), New York (Upstate), Washington (Puget Sound Area), and now Nebraska (Omaha/Lincoln Area). I would take South Dakota over all of them. However, I am biased since I grew up in South Dakota only 20-25 minutes from Brookings. I like South Dakota because you get to experience all four seasons, things are cheaper, and no state income tax. Florida was nice to visit, but too darn hot and humid for me. It did get cold several times in the year and a half I lived there, but nothing serious. Obviously no snow. I only experienced New York from fall to spring. Upstate was nice, though the ice storms kinda sucked. Washington near Seattle was typically what you would think of for that area, though I was gone half of the 4.5 years I lived out there (US Navy). Nebraska it probably the closest place I have been that compares to South Dakota. If you like the country, I believe you would like it in South Dakota. Even living in Sioux Falls, you can get out into a rural type setting fairly quick. Sioux Falls is fairly close to cities such as Minneapolis or Omaha, depending how much you like to drive.

Comment

I would say, at least in this area and in the education fields, the online MA and higher programs are looked at with the same recognition as the on campus equivalent, whether at SDSU or USD. USD does a program called PDC which allows you to be a mentee and teach one year at a school while completing your masters in many educational fields(including admin). You get paid half of what a teacher makes in that year, but your tuition is also reduced. Definitely worth looking into if you happen to go the USD route.

With that said, all of the schools in the region appear to have great MA programs in the education field, including USF/Augie.

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo View Post
                          I would say, at least in this area and in the education fields, the online MA and higher programs are looked at with the same recognition as the on campus equivalent, whether at SDSU or USD. USD does a program called PDC which allows you to be a mentee and teach one year at a school while completing your masters in many educational fields(including admin). You get paid half of what a teacher makes in that year, but your tuition is also reduced. Definitely worth looking into if you happen to go the USD route.

With that said, all of the schools in the region appear to have great MA programs in the education field, including USF/Augie.
                          I know back in Huron, before he passed, Earl Nordby put up a bunch of money for a few dozen teachers in the district to get their Master's through Northern State's program. As far as I know, my friends that did it were very happy with NSU's program.

Comment

Thank you, sir, for your service to our country!

Comment

Working...
                            X