Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Fall Camp

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
    It took another week to get confirmation or they appealed and that gave them another week. It was something like that. The staff did the right thing and followed protocol. The players would have missed the next playoff game. I understand I can ruffle feathers by saying this stuff, but they'll be held accountable for 6 games and be done with it. Kids make mistakes.
    Ok, so I've been thinking about this for some time now. Wasn't it a bison person who brought this to our attention in the beginning stating that something was going to happen before the playoff game? If that's so how did a bison fan get their information before we did? Maybe somebody can help me with this timeline. Cuz in my mind someone from NDSU or an NDSU supporter had inside information that may or may not have been some kind of HIPAA violation if my timeline (recollection) is correct.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
      Ok, so I've been thinking about this for some time now. Wasn't it a bison person who brought this to our attention in the beginning stating that something was going to happen before the playoff game? If that's so how did a bison fan get their information before we did? Maybe somebody can help me with this timeline. Cuz in my mind someone from NDSU or an NDSU supporter had inside information that may or may not have been some kind of HIPAA violation if my timeline (recollection) is correct.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk
      I don't remember that. I heard it from people within the program. This is my last comment on this. We should move on.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
        How good is the front seven on defense? Can they stop power run FB and pressure Qb from the outside?
        How Taryn will improve in year three of Qb. Reading defenses to find the open receiver ( besides Goedert/Weineke) and throwing mechanics as a number of passes sailed high last year.

A great year of Jackrabbit football with MVF championship and more.
        I'm really worried about the front seven. I always think of NDSU and how they grind out drives for 6-7 minutes. If they can't stop that the team is in big trouble. The offense can only score with the ball. Also, if they have any injuries they're in trouble.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I'm really worried about the front seven. I always think of NDSU and how they grind out drives for 6-7 minutes. If they can't stop that the team is in big trouble. The offense can only score with the ball. Also, if they have any injuries they're in trouble.
          I think that could be said of 98% of the teams in the FCS. Our depth is about as good as we've ever been, but you lose a key player or two and it can have a major impact. That is no different for our competition. NDSU in many years is one of the few to have the depth to make a difference. Last year they lost what was potentially one of the top 5 defenders in all of FCS, but they nearly made it back to Frisco. This year, I would question their depth as much as ours. In both cases, losing a key player could hurt, but both teams have some of the better depth in all of FCS.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
            I think that could be said of 98% of the teams in the FCS. Our depth is about as good as we've ever been, but you lose a key player or two and it can have a major impact. That is no different for our competition. NDSU in many years is one of the few to have the depth to make a difference. Last year they lost what was potentially one of the top 5 defenders in all of FCS, but they nearly made it back to Frisco. This year, I would question their depth as much as ours. In both cases, losing a key player could hurt, but both teams have some of the better depth in all of FCS.
            You have more faith than me. I don't see the depth at all but I'm not a coach. After watching last year's debacle against Cal Poly and other teams, it has me worried even without (more) injuries on the D-line.

Comment

Duquesne is no slouch. The team is going to have to play with a lot more fire than they did early against last year's first 2 opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                Duquesne is no slouch. The team is going to have to play with a lot more fire than they did early against last year's first 2 opponents.
                AMEN! I'll have a full preview coming up, but this is a good team. Certainly not your typical NEC team.
                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

I want to see multiple blitz packages.

I want to see if Mengerelli continues to be the main back or if Wallace gets a large amount of reps, or Daniel, whoever.
                  Blitz usage is one of the aspects I am most interested in as well. As for RB, I'd like to see more screens to Mengarelli, as he can be lethal in the flat.

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post
                    On paper, our offense should be in the top 5 for FCS. We all know that we have talent there, but I get concerned about over-hype and complacency.
                    Let's hope a couple of NFL prospects (receiving well-deserved hype) continue to exhibit the leadership they have throughout their careers.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                      Let's hope a couple of NFL prospects (receiving well-deserved hype) continue to exhibit the leadership they have throughout their careers.
                      No let down games this year. This team should be able to blow the doors off 90% of the teams in FCS. And, with a veteran secondary, playing with a lead could lead to a lot of turnovers.
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                        I get a little sick to my stomach thinking about the Cal Poly game, getting trampled by the fullback over and over and over. And that was with Langer and the rest in the middle. Duquesne appears to have a good RB, but they only managed 34 yards on the ground against Youngstown last year, and gave up 394 rushing yards. I have no idea what to expect, but I'm glad we're opening with a decent FCS team.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Protheroe and CalPoly are just a different kinda beast especially with the triple option. So many guys were flying to areas they shouldn't have been and not following their reads. That game happens in the playoffs and it's different result. Remember even with all that we had a chance to win it in the last minutes. Hines is a load but he will be running out of an offense more to the norm of what we see. I have faith it'll be a little easier tracking Hines. I think our D line is out to prove something right from the start. I am anxious to see our LB corps get after it and tear it up. Here's to the offense building a lead and forcing them in to a pass first mentality and us working our pass rush.

This is what I was told about the Duqesne program from a fan:

"​You probably know this but our best players are RB AJ Hines, who was the Jerry Rice Award winner as the top freshman player in the country last season. We lost a veteran QB to graduation last year (tryout with the Steelers in May). Either Brett Brumbaugh, who shares a last name with a legendary Duke (Boyd, who played in the 1940s I think) or Tommy Stuart, a transfer from Boise State, will play QB. Chavas Rawlins, who started his collegiate career at WVU, Kellon Taylor, who is also a basketball player, and Nehari Crawford are the receiving corps. We do have some big OL, all kidding aside, including Ben Huss, a 300 pound guard who is 3rd team FCS preseason all-American.

On defense we have three preseason all-conference players: LB Nathan Stone, DE Andy Struttmann, and DB Abner Roberts.

​This is the first time these two teams are meeting since 1932, and the first time on your field. Dukes won the first meeting 34-12, but you have to know that in those days Duquesne was actually one of the top teams in the country. The Dukes played in the forerunner of the Orange Bowl, and later in another Orange Bowl game. The program was disbanded after WWII, resurrected in the 1960s as a club program, became DIII in 1980, and DI FCS (formerly 1AA) in the 1990s."

Can you imagine the 1932 team traveling to Pittsburgh? How would they have gone, bus, train? how many days would that have taken?

Less than a week now!

Comment

Is there an official 2 deep yet available?
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                              Protheroe and CalPoly are just a different kinda beast especially with the triple option. So many guys were flying to areas they shouldn't have been and not following their reads. That game happens in the playoffs and it's different result. Remember even with all that we had a chance to win it in the last minutes. Hines is a load but he will be running out of an offense more to the norm of what we see. I have faith it'll be a little easier tracking Hines. I think our D line is out to prove something right from the start. I am anxious to see our LB corps get after it and tear it up. Here's to the offense building a lead and forcing them in to a pass first mentality and us working our pass rush.
                              I completely agree with this. It looked like scheme to me, but that's coaching too. Hopefully the defensive unit can get it done. I think it's time to play some football.

Comment

I completely agree with this. It looked like scheme to me, but that's coaching too. Hopefully the defensive unit can get it done. I think it's time to play some football.
                                Yep, quite a bit of scheme. Our guys looked lost at times trying to find the ball, almost like the shell game(or in Jack FB game terms the Hy-Vee grocery bag game, ). Protheroe is on many NFL watch lists too. Again, I think if we run into them again Clint and Jimmy have the guys ready to defend that triple. Definitely ready for some FB.

Comment

Working...
                                X