Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 Fall Camp

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
    It's a great class. Some of the guy they thought would contribute right away aren't quite ready and there are others who have been complete surprises.

DT: Ward and Krolikowski are probably needs because of the injury to Whitsell. But they are also ready. They are probably the 4th and 5th best DT's.

DE: Callender has been good but is not ready to be a three down player. Look for him to terrorize in passing situations. Anyone that has been to practice might think there is a basketball player out there. Needs to add weight so he can anchor better against the run. As a pass rusher, he's in a league of his own.

LB: Wilson and Urbanek. They are the second string linebackers based on talent. Both were in Brookings all summer working out and getting into the defensive playbook with older players. They'll take their lumps but they are ready. Wilson can run and is a thumper. Urbanek is smart and has a nose for the ball.

S: Velez was in Brookings all summer as well. He plays fast. He's probably the 5th or 6th safety right now. He is super smart and loves to hit. He's on every special teams unit I believe. Small and Demartra are probably more athletic but Velez being here all summer really put him ahead.

OL: Domandle, Miller and Lickiss are just ready. They are big, strong, and very smart. There just wasn't a ton of depth on the offensive line anyways but they out played a few of the veteran backups.

TE: Cavanaugh has been a great surprise. All-State volleyball player and state champion wrestler. He only committed after the volleyball offers didn't come in. He's a big guy who catches the ball well and is a more than willing blocker. Schauf also could contribute this year.

The young WR's need some seasoning and we have good depth already. The emergence of Jacob Brown and Cade Johnson means we don't have to burn their redshirt just for special teams. Campbell, Hill, Orr and Wandmaker have all made plays in camp though. Their future is bright.

At CB, Lofton is good but just needs a bit longer to get the technique down and get stronger. Winkleman is also very good and if injuries happen at DE, he could be ready to contribute.

The other offensive linemen just need a season in the weight room. Lots of kids who were multi sport standouts so they have the frame just not the strength.

At RB, Strong is going to be a beast. He's in a numbers game right now, but he's a stud.
    you should but that on the blog great insight
    Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

I would wait to call this class a great recruiting class for now. It is very tough to play as a freshmen both mentally and physically. Practice will show potential but the game is much faster so it's hard to handle for freshmen.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        I think they get the feeling that this year, more than any other, they have a really good shot at the championship and aren't going to hold anything back. I love this attitude. Depth is a huge deal, as NDSU has proved year after year. We may never see a trio like TC, Jake, and Dallas again, so let's push all of our chips in and go for it.

Another factor is the fact that they may anticipate the future classes to stay at a higher level with the facilities and continued success, so there's not as much of a reason to hold guys back as there may have been in the past.
        I think this has a lot do to with it. I was going to post something very similar but you beat me to it. Seems like the past 5-7 years our classes have gotten a little better. So I think they are more comfortable pulling redshirts since they are confident "we'll find another guy at that position when we need one."

Comment

I think if a freshman is ready physically and mentally to play they should be on the field. You never know when injury or other factors can end a career. As DeLuca at NDSU shows, having that red-shirt year in your pocket can be huge.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
            I think they get the feeling that this year, more than any other, they have a really good shot at the championship and aren't going to hold anything back. I love this attitude. Depth is a huge deal, as NDSU has proved year after year. We may never see a trio like TC, Jake, and Dallas again, so let's push all of our chips in and go for it.

Another factor is the fact that they may anticipate the future classes to stay at a higher level with the facilities and continued success, so there's not as much of a reason to hold guys back as there may have been in the past.
            Like this post, go get'm.
            Looking forward to joining the Summit & MVFC.

Comment

[QUOTE=WestSideRabbit;315922]It's a great class. Some of the guy they thought would contribute right away aren't quite ready and there are others who have been complete surprises.

DT: Ward and Krolikowski are probably needs because of the injury to Whitsell. But they are also ready. They are probably the 4th and 5th best DT's.

DE: Callender has been good but is not ready to be a three down player. Look for him to terrorize in passing situations. Anyone that has been to practice might think there is a basketball player out there. Needs to add weight so he can anchor better against the run. As a pass rusher, he's in a league of his own.

LB: Wilson and Urbanek. They are the second string linebackers based on talent. Both were in Brookings all summer working out and getting into the defensive playbook with older players. They'll take their lumps but they are ready. Wilson can run and is a thumper. Urbanek is smart and has a nose for the ball.

S: Velez was in Brookings all summer as well. He plays fast. He's probably the 5th or 6th safety right now. He is super smart and loves to hit. He's on every special teams unit I believe. Small and Demartra are probably more athletic but Velez being here all summer really put him ahead.

OL: Domandle, Miller and Lickiss are just ready. They are big, strong, and very smart. There just wasn't a ton of depth on the offensive line anyways but they out played a few of the veteran backups.

TE: Cavanaugh has been a great surprise. All-State volleyball player and state champion wrestler. He only committed after the volleyball offers didn't come in. He's a big guy who catches the ball well and is a more than willing blocker. Schauf also could contribute this year.

If these are the 10 true freshmen that will have their redshirts pulled, I think I see a pattern. There are 5 of them that will play DL or LB. What positions did SDSU lose most of their starters/players from last season? I'm not saying that any of these players wouldn't have had their redshirts pulled if they played other positions but these positions were hardest hit. If you lose 3 of 4 DT's and 2 starting LB's, where do you need players to come in and play? It is nice to see some of these players jumping over older players but would they have beat out the #'s 2's from last seasons team?
              I believe that we will be a top 5 team but I want to see how our defense plays this year first. As long as TC doesn't turn the ball over 15+ times, the offense will put up points (they will still put up points but can our defense be put in bad positions with all of their youth?). We will be relying on a lot of really young players on defense.
              It's too bad we can't have this seasons offense and a defense that we should be in 2 years if all of the true freshmen are what we hope they will be.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post

If these are the 10 true freshmen that will have their redshirts pulled, I think I see a pattern. There are 5 of them that will play DL or LB. What positions did SDSU lose most of their starters/players from last season? I'm not saying that any of these players wouldn't have had their redshirts pulled if they played other positions but these positions were hardest hit. If you lose 3 of 4 DT's and 2 starting LB's, where do you need players to come in and play? It is nice to see some of these players jumping over older players but would they have beat out the #'s 2's from last seasons team?
                I believe that we will be a top 5 team but I want to see how our defense plays this year first. As long as TC doesn't turn the ball over 15+ times, the offense will put up points (they will still put up points but can our defense be put in bad positions with all of their youth?). We will be relying on a lot of really young players on defense.
                It's too bad we can't have this seasons offense and a defense that we should be in 2 years if all of the true freshmen are what we hope they will be.
                Considering that TC didn't turn it over 15 times all last season I think we should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

http://www.keloland.com/news/article...-for-six-games
                  "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

ouch.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

• Re: 2017 Fall Camp

Comment

That hurts, need all the offensive lineman to contribute!

Comment

Gosh freaking darn it!!!

Comment

"Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

This has been known for a long time. The team is ready to play without them. Yeah, it'd be great to have clark to backup at guard but we'll be ok!
                              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                                This has been known for a long time. The team is ready to play without them. Yeah, it'd be great to have clark to backup at guard but we'll be ok!
                                Its news to me today.

Not that its a big deal but is there and word on what team rules or violations where there? just curios. 6 games means its gotta be pretty serious and follow up, are they individual things they both did or was it a combined effort so to speak.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X