2017 Fall Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Fall Camp

Anyone know what time scrimmage on Sunday is?

Re: 2017 Fall Camp

Bump

Comment

I don't think there was a scrimmage per say but I did stop by practice today for awhile. Talked with Stig a bit and he said intensity has been very good. He was also high on the freshman and I can see why. There will be competition for playing time.

Comment

Here is my recap of day 5.
        https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...day-5.html?m=1

Here is Zimmer's
        http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...ice/524168001/
        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Head's up, it looks like Zimmer is starting his weekly chat back up today at 2...http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...mer/528250001/

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
            Head's up, it looks like Zimmer is starting his weekly chat back up today at 2...http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...mer/528250001/
            Best quote from Zim's chat: "I never liked that they always stayed in their base formation on 3rd and longs. They rarely pulled a linebacker for a nickel or dime back. There was talk in spring ball that that would change this year."... Can I get an Amen?!?!?!?! It was painful at times to watch them sit back and either get shredded or get lucky the QB made a bad play or a WR dropped a pass.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
              Best quote from Zim's chat: "I never liked that they always stayed in their base formation on 3rd and longs. They rarely pulled a linebacker for a nickel or dime back. There was talk in spring ball that that would change this year."... Can I get an Amen?!?!?!?! It was painful at times to watch them sit back and either get shredded or get lucky the QB made a bad play or a WR dropped a pass.
              Can't say I necessarily disagree, but do you think one reason could've been the experience they'd lose pulling a LB, so maybe they thought it was essentially a wash if a less-experienced DB was less apt to read the offensive scheme. Plus, one could argue that Dallas Brown was basically a safety-sized LB anyway.

Nevertheless, hopefully this season the defense is stingier on all downs, particularly later ones.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                Can't say I necessarily disagree, but do you think one reason could've been the experience they'd lose pulling a LB, so maybe they thought it was essentially a wash if a less-experienced DB was less apt to read the offensive scheme. Plus, one could argue that Dallas Brown was basically a safety-sized LB anyway.

Nevertheless, hopefully this season the defense is stingier on all downs, particularly later ones.
                This is an extreme example but if our whole DL was seniors and the rest of the team were freshman, would you just play all defensive linemen? You want experience on the field but you need players in certain positions depending what the other teams personal is. This might have been SDSU's problem some in the past. They had LB's that were above average in coverage but can you leave a LB covering WR's for extended periods of time?
                I think you could call Dallas Brown a safety because of his size but on 3rd and 16 do you want 3 or 4 safeties on the field? If you don't have enough faith in your CB's to put 4 or so out there to cover the 4 or 5 WR sets, blitz and see what happens. They might burn you but at least you make the other teams offense make a quick decision. I don't know if they would feel any pressure but they might. Our defense got wore out because they couldn't make a play when they needed to and the offense had a few bad drives (against NDSU).
                Of course, this is coming from somebody who just sits and watches. I'm not qualified or paid to make the big decisions.
                Last edited by 91jack; 08-02-2017, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                  This is an extreme example but if our whole DL was seniors and the rest of the team were freshman, would you just play all DL's? You want experience on the field but you need players is certain positions depending what they other teams personal is. This might have been SDSU's problem some in the past. They had LB"s that were above average in coverage but can you leave a LB covering WR's for extended periods of time?
                  I think you could call Dallas Brown a safety because of his size but on 3rd and 16 do you want 3 or 4 safeties on the field? If you don't have any faith in your CB's to put 4 or so out there to cover the 4 or 5 WR sets, blitz and see what happens. They might burn you but at least you make the other teams offense make a quick decision. I don't know if they would feel any pressure but they might. Our defense got wore out because they couldn't make a play when they needed to and the offense had a few bad drives (against NDSU).
                  Of course, this is coming from somebody who just sits and watches. I'm not qualified or paid to make the big decisions.
                  But did you stay at a holiday inn express last night?
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

This is an extreme example but if our whole DL was seniors and the rest of the team were freshman, would you just play all defensive linemen? You want experience on the field but you need players in certain positions depending what the other teams personal is. This might have been SDSU's problem some in the past. They had LB's that were above average in coverage but can you leave a LB covering WR's for extended periods of time?
                    I think you could call Dallas Brown a safety because of his size but on 3rd and 16 do you want 3 or 4 safeties on the field? If you don't have enough faith in your CB's to put 4 or so out there to cover the 4 or 5 WR sets, blitz and see what happens. They might burn you but at least you make the other teams offense make a quick decision. I don't know if they would feel any pressure but they might. Our defense got wore out because they couldn't make a play when they needed to and the offense had a few bad drives (against NDSU).
                    I am in the same boat with you as not being qualified, but we are both right. It has been glaringly obvious.

Comment

I suppose the safety-CB alignment might depend on the opponents' offense; for instance, do they tend to prefer passes to TE's; WR's or even RB's out of the backfield; of course down and distance also comes into play. Mears was also injured during some games, which likely impacted personnel groupings.

Comment

Comment

Not sure where to put this but here is my recap of "C-Day." Great job by Coach Jackson on organizing the day!

https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...018-class.html
                          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                            This video is titled "Quarterbacks" but they touch a lot on the WRs, TEs and O-line as well. Specifically stating where guys are on the depth chart a week into fall camp.

Comment

https://twitter.com/JackIllustrated/...07488368250881

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Working...
                              X