2017 Fall Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 Fall Camp

Full report from yesterday's practice. https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...actice-19.html
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
      Full report from yesterday's practice. https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...actice-19.html
      Im curious how you got all the access to the team? You mentioned you don't have a writing background? Coaches ok with it obviously?
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
        Im curious how you got all the access to the team? You mentioned you don't have a writing background? Coaches ok with it obviously?
        I asked and there is a gap in coverage. They were more than willing to let me have access. Coaches are okay with and there are only a few stipulations I have to follow.

Comment

Not sure where to put this, but Todd McShay has ranked Goedert as the #1 TE for the 2018 draft. http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/in...every-position

Comment

Originally posted by Project-Badass View Post
            Not sure where to put this, but Todd McShay has ranked Goedert as the #1 TE for the 2018 draft. http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/in...every-position
            Wow. That's high praise. McShay's rankings seem to carry as much weight as anyone in the business, including Mel Kuiper
            This space for lease.

Comment

I'd be interested to see what the highest TEs graded out at last year. Dallas is a 79 this year.
              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Maybe Goedert needs his own thread for the season and beyond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                  I'd be interested to see what the highest TEs graded out at last year. Dallas is a 79 this year.
                  2017 TE ranking:
                  1. O.J. Howard 87
                  2. Jake Butt 86
                  3. Jordan Legget 75

I looked for grades on his 2016 TE ranking, but it looks like 2017 was his first year including grades with his list. No doubt Goedert is benefiting from a down year for FBS TE, regardless he would likely be in the top 3 in any given year.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                    Maybe Goedert needs his own thread for the season and beyond.

I'm inclined to treat this request the same as Nate's and Zack's post-season. Will probably add at or near the end of his illustrious Jackrabbit career.

Comment

Our own Blair Mulholland is part of The top 100 moments of Camp Randall Stadium
                      https://instagram.com/p/BX88RSCF3xi/
                      I remember watching this game, he was off the charts

Comment

Matt Zimmer tweeted that the coaches have big plans for our most recent recruiting class. Big statement! Often when this happens it is because of need with a thin cupboard or lots of injuries. We've had injuries, but modest compared to some years. Cupboard was fairly full based on projections for a top five finish and serious contender for a national championship. It appears that this recruiting class was just loaded.

John Stiegelmeier says 10 true freshmen have been told to prepare to have their redshirts pulled. That would obviously be a record.

​what are your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                          Matt Zimmer tweeted that the coaches have big plans for our most recent recruiting class. Big statement! Often when this happens it is because of need with a thin cupboard or lots of injuries. We've had injuries, but modest compared to some years. Cupboard was fairly full based on projections for a top five finish and serious contender for a national championship. It appears that this recruiting class was just loaded.

John Stiegelmeier says 10 true freshmen have been told to prepare to have their redshirts pulled. That would obviously be a record.

​what are your thoughts?
                          Maybe they have told the coaches they only plan on being in college for four years so there is no need to redshirt them. Maybe they are marginal students that may wash out out after the first semester/year. Regardless, if they will contribute positively to the most loaded Jacks team in memory I say let them play & produce. No sense in "saving" a playmaker for a different year. Strike while the iron is hot.

Comment

​what are your thoughts?
                            I think they get the feeling that this year, more than any other, they have a really good shot at the championship and aren't going to hold anything back. I love this attitude. Depth is a huge deal, as NDSU has proved year after year. We may never see a trio like TC, Jake, and Dallas again, so let's push all of our chips in and go for it.

Another factor is the fact that they may anticipate the future classes to stay at a higher level with the facilities and continued success, so there's not as much of a reason to hold guys back as there may have been in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                              Maybe they have told the coaches they only plan on being in college for four years so there is no need to redshirt them. Maybe they are marginal students that may wash out out after the first semester/year. Regardless, if they will contribute positively to the most loaded Jacks team in memory I say let them play & produce. No sense in "saving" a playmaker for a different year. Strike while the iron is hot.

Must agree with striking while the iron is hot, although I hope the sentiment isn't due largely to concerns with possible program attrition (which I realize will occur)

Comment

​what are your thoughts?
                                It's a great class. Some of the guy they thought would contribute right away aren't quite ready and there are others who have been complete surprises.

DT: Ward and Krolikowski are probably needs because of the injury to Whitsell. But they are also ready. They are probably the 4th and 5th best DT's.

DE: Callender has been good but is not ready to be a three down player. Look for him to terrorize in passing situations. Anyone that has been to practice might think there is a basketball player out there. Needs to add weight so he can anchor better against the run. As a pass rusher, he's in a league of his own.

LB: Wilson and Urbanek. They are the second string linebackers based on talent. Both were in Brookings all summer working out and getting into the defensive playbook with older players. They'll take their lumps but they are ready. Wilson can run and is a thumper. Urbanek is smart and has a nose for the ball.

S: Velez was in Brookings all summer as well. He plays fast. He's probably the 5th or 6th safety right now. He is super smart and loves to hit. He's on every special teams unit I believe. Small and Demartra are probably more athletic but Velez being here all summer really put him ahead.

OL: Domandle, Miller and Lickiss are just ready. They are big, strong, and very smart. There just wasn't a ton of depth on the offensive line anyways but they out played a few of the veteran backups.

TE: Cavanaugh has been a great surprise. All-State volleyball player and state champion wrestler. He only committed after the volleyball offers didn't come in. He's a big guy who catches the ball well and is a more than willing blocker. Schauf also could contribute this year.

The young WR's need some seasoning and we have good depth already. The emergence of Jacob Brown and Cade Johnson means we don't have to burn their redshirt just for special teams. Campbell, Hill, Orr and Wandmaker have all made plays in camp though. Their future is bright.

At CB, Lofton is good but just needs a bit longer to get the technique down and get stronger. Winkleman is also very good and if injuries happen at DE, he could be ready to contribute.

The other offensive linemen just need a season in the weight room. Lots of kids who were multi sport standouts so they have the frame just not the strength.

At RB, Strong is going to be a beast. He's in a numbers game right now, but he's a stud.

Comment

Working...
                                X