Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 Fall Camp

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    Most importantly, Jake can catch the ball. He has sure hands. In recent years, not all of the Jacks' punt returners have had that attribute.
    That's what I'm wondering also if that's what the coaches are thinking, looking for a sure handed returner in fair catch situations. You see a lot in the pros
    Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
      That's what I'm wondering also if that's what the coaches are thinking, looking for a sure handed returner in fair catch situations. You see a lot in the pros
      Would the disparity between Mengarelli (or even Wilde, if they wanted to use a WR) and Wieneke's ability to field punts be so great as to risk Jake's injury though?

Man, I can't wait until 8/31!

Comment

In my experience, catching a punt and catching a pass were two completely different skill sets. With his talent I am sure JW would be spectacular, but in some cases guys could just never get used to the different trajectory/spin on the ball. Not to mention being in the sights of 10 large humans at one time.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          I don't see incoming freshman RB CJ Wilson who committed in April on the roster
          Gray shirt. He'll be with the team. No worries.
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

#15 and #11 have demonstrated that they are sure handed receiving punts. #19 has not but he is working on it. I'll ask Arneheim this week why they are working #19 into the punt return rotation.

I still highly doubt we ever see him back there in a game. I'm in the camp that thinks they are letting Jake try it for NFL tryouts/workouts it's not really stealing reps from anyone because they've already worked it down to the top two and Arnheim has them run it out to the 50. They use a jugs machine so it's not taking practice punts from the punter. If they have the time, he might as well take a few reps in case he is asked to do it at a tryout. None of the reps #19 has taken have been in live action.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
              Would the disparity between Mengarelli (or even Wilde, if they wanted to use a WR) and Wieneke's ability to field punts be so great as to risk Jake's injury though?

Man, I can't wait until 8/31!
              I think you're way too worried about this. If he goes in and is told strictly to fair catch it the odds of getting hurt are very small. Throw the signal right away and catch it. That's not very dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                I think you're way too worried about this. If he goes in and is told strictly to fair catch it the odds of getting hurt are very small. Throw the signal right away and catch it. That's not very dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Just curious about the rationale, but players have been hit after signaling for a fair catch -- in fact those can be the most vicious hits, as the PR is not expecting contact and gets blindsided by an opponent running full speed. Plus, if the sole purpose is making a fair catch, I would revisit the question about the level disparity in skill between Wieneke and other options.

As I mentioned earlier, I appreciate WSR's posts, and the mention of JW fielding punts piqued my curiosity. Sorry if things went sideways as a result.

Comment

Just curious about the rationale, but players have been hit after signaling for a fair catch -- in fact those can be the most vicious hits, as the PR is not expecting contact and gets blindsided by an opponent running full speed. Plus, if the sole purpose is making a fair catch, I would revisit the question about the level disparity in skill between Wieneke and other options.

As I mentioned earlier, I appreciate WSR's posts, and the mention of JW fielding punts piqued my curiosity. Sorry if things went sideways as a result.
                  My two cents. One neat thing about Jake is his running ability has often extended a completed pass several yards and even TD's so running a Kick off for six seems like a working idea, but as you and others have said risky in terms of injury.

Comment

Here are a few recent practice reports.

https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...actice-16.html

https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...actice-17.html

The bad news is that Tuttle hasn't practiced for two weeks and is out for the season with a knee injury. He was really coming on too. Good news: the young players are really stepping up.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

The bad news is that Tuttle hasn't practiced for two weeks and is out for the season with a knee injury. He was really coming on too. Good news: the young players are really stepping up.

Watching that embeded video of the TCU game has me sick... Man @ 1:58 where the DB makes a GREAT play on the ball and it falls into the other recievers hands. my heart just sunk again. but thinking about those white dresses might help perk me up.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/story/blo...tes/567482001/
                        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I hate to be a jerk but... Other than Tuttle not practicing for two weeks and out for the season, Mengarelli not taking a kickoff for that same period, Wilde NOT playing in the slot and being hurt most of camp, and Barret not being on the top two lines... okay article. Oh, no mention of Cade Johnson either. SMH.

Comment

Awesome D. Domino reference on Rozeboom's "Catch of the Day." Hoping to see a few of those during the season.

Comment

Awesome D. Domino reference on Rozeboom's "Catch of the Day." Hoping to see a few of those during the season.
                              He had another one today. He's pretty good. Haha

Comment

He had another one today. He's pretty good. Haha
                                Might have to change it from "Revis" to "Rozeboom Island" then, eh?

Comment

Working...
                                X