Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 Fall Camp

Anyone else at the scrimmage today?

I'll have a full review later but our defensive line looked damn good. Smenda, Tristan Leiseth, Callender, and Tolu were some animals on the third down pass rush. Interior of Soulek, Hildahl, Krolikowski, Ward were also collapsing the pocket consistently. I was concerned about d-line but am not any longer.
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

I'll have a full review later but our defensive line looked damn good. Smenda, Tristan Leiseth, Callender, and Tolu were some animals on the third down pass rush. Interior of Soulek, Hildahl, Krolikowski, Ward were also collapsing the pocket consistently. I was concerned about d-line but am not any longer.
      I was there and agree with you the defense looked good. They must be trying to get Callender to give a little more?

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
        I was there and agree with you the defense looked good. They must be trying to get Callender to give a little more?
        What do you mean buy this? just curious?

Also I am stuck at work today and its a bit slow so could really use some good football discussions on here this afternoon.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          What do you mean buy this? just curious?

Also I am stuck at work today and its a bit slow so could really use some good football discussions on here this afternoon.
          Purple jersey.

Comment

Its nice hearing the young guys stepping up and MAD
            Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Purple jersey.
              He's been living in it since he got back from injury. Not sure what's going on.

Comment

Purple jersey.
                ahh. thanks.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                  Ultimately Jake would be brought in to field a punt as a playmaker. While he isn't overall shifty he is a longstrider and has an innate ability to cut across the field, make guys miss. Think Randy Moss returning the punt against KC. Jake is not going to make the NFL as a punt returner either so that isn't why they are working him in there. This is simply getting him reps so if we need him to(think 2:41 left in the 4th down by a score), he can go in and not be totally green. You put you playmakers in a position to make plays at crucial times.
                  In that scenario, wouldn't the odds that Jake could be more effective during the ensuing offensive possession trump the possibility of a long punt return (and the accompanying injury risk)?

Also, I wasn't implying that he'd be drafted as a PR or that it's scouts' primary consideration, merely that adding that to his skillset could possibly help separate him from other WR prospects, despite my aversion to it. Personally, I think his blocking ability on offense should override any special teams considerations, but I trust the coaches

Comment

I don't like the Idea of risking injury to your star players...only scenario that I would grit my teeth and accept it is if it is deemed necessary to prolong a playoff run....nothing in the regular season,especially early,...how ridiculous would it be to lose your star WR for the rest of the season due to injury in say the third game of the season.Unforgivable if that were to happen.Practice it if you like for preparation,but don't implement in real game play...unless there's a very good need to...I mean really good need.

Comment

I don't think so. I'm not sure why they are doing it, but maybe JackedForLife is right. However, I'd rather just have Lewis or Cade Johnson back there. They are shiftier and have higher top end speed. The regular job is going to be between either Lewis or Johnson. I don't think I've seen either muff a punt this fall. Very confident and very good in traffic. Hopefully our blocking can be a little better this year so we at least give them a chance.
                      I hear you there regarding having others as return men. It'd be awesome if they could set the tone with a punt return for a TD in the opener.

Comment

Excellent news. Hopefully we can witness similar performance on 8/31.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                          In special situations, the Minnesota Vikings put Randy Moss back to field a kick or a punt. A good college team has got to have a few special plays ready (like the hidden Mengarelli run against NDSU). I hope to see Jacks' kicker Vinatieri throw (or receive) a pass or two this season in field goal situations. If having Wieneke return a punt gives the Jacks a chance to win a crucial game, great.
                          The Vikes also had Reed, Carter, and Walsh if Moss were to get injured. Plus, they had a former league-leading PR in Palmer. That's not to imply any WR could match Moss' attributes, but they did have relative depth at WR. I would argue Wieneke is more important to the Jacks' offense than Moss was to the Vikings' in '98 and '99.
                          Last edited by jakejc795; 08-12-2017, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Most importantly, Jake can catch the ball. He has sure hands. In recent years, not all of the Jacks' punt returners have had that attribute.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                              Most importantly, Jake can catch the ball. He has sure hands. In recent years, not all of the Jacks' punt returners have had that attribute.
                              Really, it was only a one year gap between JeRyan and Marquise. That was an ugly season for returns.

Comment

I don't see incoming freshman RB CJ Wilson who committed in April on the roster

Comment

Working...
                                X