2017 Fall Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 Fall Camp

Ultimately Jake would be brought in to field a punt as a playmaker. While he isn't overall shifty he is a longstrider and has an innate ability to cut across the field, make guys miss. Think Randy Moss returning the punt against KC. Jake is not going to make the NFL as a punt returner either so that isn't why they are working him in there. This is simply getting him reps so if we need him to(think 2:41 left in the 4th down by a score), he can go in and not be totally green. You put you playmakers in a position to make plays at crucial times.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
      I second that on the interview, WSR. Do you think JW would ever actually field punts during the regular season (possibly to improve draft stock) or do you think it would be too risky?

Can't say I'd be a proponent of him doing so.
      I don't think so. I'm not sure why they are doing it, but maybe JackedForLife is right. However, I'd rather just have Lewis or Cade Johnson back there. They are shiftier and have higher top end speed. The regular job is going to be between either Lewis or Johnson. I don't think I've seen either muff a punt this fall. Very confident and very good in traffic. Hopefully our blocking can be a little better this year so we at least give them a chance.
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
        I don't think so. I'm not sure why they are doing it, but maybe JackedForLife is right. However, I'd rather just have Lewis or Cade Johnson back there. They are shiftier and have higher top end speed. The regular job is going to be between either Lewis or Johnson. I don't think I've seen either muff a punt this fall. Very confident and very good in traffic. Hopefully our blocking can be a little better this year so we at least give them a chance.
        I think you could see it more potentially in the playoffs etc.

Comment

Not being a ST coach I was wondering if there is any change in blocking scheme with Jakes running style. It would/could open itself up to some trickery too, think JW fielding it and handing it to Marquise or Cade on a pseudo reverse. Or another alternative view would be to psych the opposition into not having the best protection, setting up a possible block. Think about that, you're a special teamer and you head out with the game on the line and see AA #19 deep. You are thinking, wow really have to stop him. Meanwhile we've set up max penetration. Also the punter is thinking take your time get as much hangtime as possible and give my guys a chance. He's not thinking 50+ yds, he's got 4.5 sec+ on his mind and 40ish yds. Anyhow it's a wrinkle that every opposing ST coach has to think about now.

Comment

Well here's to hoping we don't even get into a situation where we "need" to put him back there.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...dsu/558125001/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                I second that on the interview, WSR. Do you think JW would ever actually field punts during the regular season (possibly to improve draft stock) or do you think it would be too risky?

Can't say I'd be a proponent of him doing so.
                There is nothing good that can come out of him fielding punts. It would give an opposing team free shots at him that they normally would not get when he is at WR. Ultimately the coaching staff is here to win college football games. They only time that I want to see JW field a kicked football is on the hands team when the opponent in the national championship game is attempting an on-side kick because they are behind.

If a NFL team wants to see him return punts they can watch him in practice. If they want to see him do it in a game, draft the kid and stick him back there. Let him get hurt AFTER he gets paid.
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                  There is nothing good that can come out of him fielding punts. It would give an opposing team free shots at him that they normally would not get when he is at WR. Ultimately the coaching staff is here to win college football games. They only time that I want to see JW field a kicked football is on the hands team when the opponent in the national championship game is attempting an on-side kick because they are behind.

If a NFL team wants to see him return punts they can watch him in practice. If they want to see him do it in a game, draft the kid and stick him back there. Let him get hurt AFTER he gets paid.
                  Yeah because our coaching staff is known for doing things that nothing good can come from...C'mon, Stig and crew aren't entertaining this without any thought or consideration. There is a method to the process, we may not like or want it but they see merit to the consideration. I for one will reserve judgment and defer to their expertise.

...oh and there is ZERO chance any NFL is seriously considering drafting him as a punt returner.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                    Well here's to hoping we don't even get into a situation where we "need" to put him back there.
                    I think we all would second that...but we have yet to have a 10 win season, and the grind of the MVFC proves more and more how close some of those games can be...we could've easily seen a situation like this a few times last year. CalPoly, SIU, and the 1st mtg with NDSU. I heard rumblings that ZZ was an option for KR as a SR. I can't remember who was back against the Bison in the 2014 playoff game at the end. But ZZ could've been an option if he wasn't in there.

Anyhow, do I want Jake fielding punts? No...Will I support the coaches if it happens? Yes...

Is it 8/31 yet???????

Comment

In special situations, the Minnesota Vikings put Randy Moss back to field a kick or a punt. A good college team has got to have a few special plays ready (like the hidden Mengarelli run against NDSU). I hope to see Jacks' kicker Vinatieri throw (or receive) a pass or two this season in field goal situations. If having Wieneke return a punt gives the Jacks a chance to win a crucial game, great.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                        In special situations, the Minnesota Vikings put Randy Moss back to field a kick or a punt. A good college team has got to have a few special plays ready (like the hidden Mengarelli run against NDSU). I hope to see Jacks' kicker Vinatieri throw (or receive) a pass or two this season in field goal situations. If having Wieneke return a punt gives the Jacks a chance to win a crucial game, great.
                        Chase receiving a pass wouldn't be totally out of the question. He was recruited as both a WR and a K, even running patterns on the scout team as a freshman and being listed as high as 3rd on one depth chart. With TC spotting every PAT and FG that has to be in the back of every opposing teams minds.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                          that has to be in the back of every opposing teams minds.
                          Well it wasn't until now... You ruined the surprise. #TCUisstillwatching

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                            Randy Moss was a freak of nature with that speed and size. I would compare JW's game more to that of a Jerry Rice or Chris Carter. Neither of those guys had the after burners, but they could outrun people when needed. That being said, I wouldn't want either of them returning kicks.

I am sure that there are guys on the team that have the flat out speed that makes them dangerous on the kick return. How about the Jacks just never put themselves in a position to have to ask the question. That is the solution I would prefer.
                            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                              Randy Moss was a freak of nature with that speed and size. I would compare JW's game more to that of a Jerry Rice or Chris Carter. Neither of those guys had the after burners, but they could outrun people when needed. That being said, I wouldn't want either of them returning kicks.

I am sure that there are guys on the team that have the flat out speed that makes them dangerous on the kick return. How about the Jacks just never put themselves in a position to have to ask the question. That is the solution I would prefer.
                              Meh, Moss was a speed freak vs the NFL. I wouldn't doubt the the Wizard can make some magic happen against FCS teams on a punt return. There's a reason he's got as many long TDs as he does, and it's not cause he's slow.

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                                Meh, Moss was a speed freak vs the NFL. I wouldn't doubt the the Wizard can make some magic happen against FCS teams on a punt return. There's a reason he's got as many long TDs as he does, and it's not cause he's slow.

I think it the same thing as the wolters effect. Doesn't look fast or quick, but Wolters was and shifty. The wizard is sneaky fast and great body control. I would worry since he is a little taller then most on punt returns that I would worry about being able to protect himself and the knees when guys come flying in. Part of me would like to see Geodert back there taking punts. Cant imagine many special teams guys would like to have the britton bomber barreling down on them as they are running full speed to make a tackle.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X