Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Position Previews

Hi All,
    As you may know I started a side project called "Jackrabbit Illustrated". I'm not a journalist, journalism major, or a great writer by any means. However, many of us have been complaining about the lack of coverage for Jackrabbit athletics since Terry left and Gannett decided to trash the Argus's budget (Please know this is not a shot at Zimmer; I understand how budgets work and cloning humans hasn't been approved yet). I don't have any hobbies besides following Jackrabbit athletics and spending time with my family so I decided to start this blog and various social media accounts. If you like, I would appreciate a follow on Twitter @JackIllustrated or my Facebook page "Jackrabbit Illustrated."

Hopefully GoJacks and Zimmer will also have position previews that we can post here and discuss.

So without further adieu here is the cornerback breakdown. https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...rnerbacks.html
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Re: Position Previews

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
    Hi All,
    As you may know I started a side project called "Jackrabbit Illustrated". I'm not a journalist, journalism major, or a great writer by any means. However, many of us have been complaining about the lack of coverage for Jackrabbit athletics since Terry left and Gannett decided to trash the Argus's budget (Please know this is not a shot at Zimmer; I understand how budgets work and cloning humans hasn't been approved yet). I don't have any hobbies besides following Jackrabbit athletics and spending time with my family so I decided to start this blog and various social media accounts. If you like, I would appreciate a follow on Twitter @JackIllustrated or my Facebook page "Jackrabbit Illustrated."

Hopefully GoJacks and Zimmer will also have position previews that we can post here and discuss.

So without further adieu here is the cornerback breakdown. https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...rnerbacks.html
    Must spread rep. Good articles so far on your blog and a good twitter follow. Awesome asset for Jack Nation.

Comment

Hi All,

Great work, Westside! A lot of us Jackrabbit fans are starved for detailed information like this. I look forward to your future reports and related discussions.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Have been following. Great content! Well done Westside!

Comment

"Must Spread More Rep" as well for me, but I can't say enough how much I appreciate the effort of keeping us informed. Recommend everyone on this board to follow on Twitter and Facebook if you have an account (even if you don't use it that much).
          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
            "Must Spread More Rep" as well for me, but I can't say enough how much I appreciate the effort of keeping us informed. Recommend everyone on this board to follow on Twitter and Facebook if you have an account (even if you don't use it that much).
            Good suggestion, Kemo. I wasn't aware of the site. Good stuff!
            This space for lease.

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks for helping give us all a "Jacks fix" as we wait for the season to commence. Interesting note about Lofton's similarities to Butler; it'd be awesome if that turned out to be accurate.

Comment

Kudos again to Westside, but I want to focus on the thread - position reviews. I didn't realize how young our corner positions are.

1 senior - Washington
                1 junior - Brown
                3 sophomores - Harris, Mosely, Eide
                2 redshirt freshmen - McGary, Gardner
                1 freshman - Lofton

At first, I was a bit worried. A significant injury would force a talented, but inexperienced player into a prominent position. However, I wonder if we would move a safety over or use a safety more in nickle/dime coverages. We are deep in safeties this year.

Comment

I was also looking at the numbers we have on the back end of our defense. Looking at our roster and comparing it to our previous three seasons shows that our ratio of corners to safeties have flipped.

2017 - 8 corners/13 safeties
                  2016 - 16 corners/5 safeties
                  2015 - 13 corners/3 safeties
                  2014 - 14 corners/1 safety

I'm curious if our scheme is slightly changing? Are we recruiting more defensive backs that are bigger and end up being safeties? Has the success of having some safeties convert to linebackers has put more of a premium on the flexibility of larger DB's?

What is nice is that the coaching staff has been flexible with players. They are not pigeon holing them into a position and are finding ways to get the best players/athletes on the field, even if it means moving them to another position.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                    I was also looking at the numbers we have on the back end of our defense. Looking at our roster and comparing it to our previous three seasons shows that our ratio of corners to safeties have flipped.

2017 - 8 corners/13 safeties
                    2016 - 16 corners/5 safeties
                    2015 - 13 corners/3 safeties
                    2014 - 14 corners/1 safety

I'm curious if our scheme is slightly changing? Are we recruiting more defensive backs that are bigger and end up being safeties? Has the success of having some safeties convert to linebackers has put more of a premium on the flexibility of larger DB's?

What is nice is that the coaching staff has been flexible with players. They are not pigeon holing them into a position and are finding ways to get the best players/athletes on the field, even if it means moving them to another position.
                    I was wondering the same, I think they used to just lump them all in as DB's. now they are separating them out. I think the one that surprises me here is Manchigiah switching to safety. I'm curious as to the reason, maybe Westside will fill us in on his safety breakdown.

Comment

Linebackers.
                      https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...nebackers.html

Rogers is pretty high on the freshmen and Logan Backhaus. Definitely going to be an adjustment year for Rozeboom but Rogers thinks he'll handle it fine.
                      Last edited by WestSideRabbit; 07-27-2017, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Linebackers.
                        https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...nebackers.html

Rogers is pretty high on the freshman and Logan Backhaus. Definitely going to be an adjustment year for Rozeboom but Rogers thinks he'll handle it fine.
                        Hesitant but excited about this group. If one or two guys can step in with Rozeboom, I can see our 3rd down woes going away fast.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                          Hesitant but excited about this group. If one or two guys can step in with Rozeboom, I can see our 3rd down woes going away fast.
                          I'm nervous about them. I'd feel better if Jake Harms was still playing. Speaking of Jake, it looks like he is serving as a student coach as I saw him helping Rogers and the defense today.

Comment

Released my safety position preview. Coach Bergy seems like a great guy and is excited to be a Jackrabbit and have his family in Brookings. In terms of players... expect a heavy dose of the top four playing on a rotation. Very high on the incoming freshmen.

https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...-safeties.html
                            Thanks

Comment

Released my safety position preview. Coach Bergy seems like a great guy and is excited to be a Jackrabbit and have his family in Brookings. In terms of players... expect a heavy dose of the top four playing on a rotation. Very high on the incoming freshmen.

https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...-safeties.html
                              Thanks
                              I'm curious about Lorenzo Williams' role this season. I get a kick out of watching him get psyched up/ham it up on special teams. It'd be great to see the same after an INT or PBU.

Comment

Working...
                              X