Clear All

• Re: NDSU Nov 4th

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Okay, truce?
    Sounds good to me bud.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      I could handle the disappointment in not getting tickets from a Bison perspective, but I doubt I would get any tickets for your Robert Morris game this Saturday.
      Public service announcement for next year, that I am unlikely to post at that time. Very common misconception about Bison tickets is that they are impossible to get. Actually, not that hard as long as you are willing to put in the work. Simply be at a computer the moment the tickets goes on sale, and you will get them. Trickier if you need multiple games, but if only SDSU, you would get them. I have tricks I can share in person tailgating.

Further, NDSU has been more aggressive in selling student tickets when they do not take their entire allotment. So, often tickets have been going on sale later in the week before a game. Just have to watch bisonville, as about the only place I hear about it. While I'd expect students to pick up SDSU/NDSU tickets, they haven't for some other games that are big. I have zero doubt you could find a RMU ticket this week at a normal price.

I did my good deed to SDSU fans today. I'll deny it ever happened to all the Bison faithful.

Comment

I'm one who purchased additional tickets for the November 4 game. I also purchased additional tickets for another game. I do that to add in a small way to the effort to increase the number of SDSU fans, present and future, in the stands. Case in point: A friend who has used our tickets in the past is now a season-ticket holder. His degree is from Northern State and he lives in Sioux Falls. He's become a Jacks fan. We're growing the fan base. I would not characterize the effort to have the tickets sold as an effort to keep out Bison fans. Certainly that's going to happen but that's not the sole reason and for some of us, that's not the prime reason. It's just a consequence.

I also had a laugh about the economic analysis offered: the assumption that Bison fans will spend more in Brookings than SDSU fans attending the game. That's pure speculation and a likely incorrect conclusion. I personally have not seen anyone wearing green and yellow in the SDSU Bookstore, the Jackrabbit Central Store downtown, or the stadium Jackrabbit Central store (I do not believe the stadium store was open the last time the Bison played in Brookings). As other posters have pointed out, the bars and restaurants are full and the hotels are full. The money is the same whether it came from a Jacks fan from Minneapolis or Omaha or a Bison fan in Fargo.

Comment

Originally posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
          Public service announcement for next year, that I am unlikely to post at that time. Very common misconception about Bison tickets is that they are impossible to get. Actually, not that hard as long as you are willing to put in the work. Simply be at a computer the moment the tickets goes on sale, and you will get them. Trickier if you need multiple games, but if only SDSU, you would get them. I have tricks I can share in person tailgating.

Further, NDSU has been more aggressive in selling student tickets when they do not take their entire allotment. So, often tickets have been going on sale later in the week before a game. Just have to watch bisonville, as about the only place I hear about it. While I'd expect students to pick up SDSU/NDSU tickets, they haven't for some other games that are big. I have zero doubt you could find a RMU ticket this week at a normal price.

I did my good deed to SDSU fans today. I'll deny it ever happened to all the Bison faithful.
          Thanks but no thanks. I will not work hard to get bison ticket. Why should I? ESPN3 covers most of your games.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            I'm one who purchased additional tickets for the November 4 game. I also purchased additional tickets for another game. I do that to add in a small way to the effort to increase the number of SDSU fans, present and future, in the stands. Case in point: A friend who has used our tickets in the past is now a season-ticket holder. His degree is from Northern State and he lives in Sioux Falls. He's become a Jacks fan. We're growing the fan base. I would not characterize the effort to have the tickets sold as an effort to keep out Bison fans. Certainly that's going to happen but that's not the sole reason and for some of us, that's not the prime reason. It's just a consequence.

I also had a laugh about the economic analysis offered: the assumption that Bison fans will spend more in Brookings than SDSU fans attending the game. That's pure speculation and a likely incorrect conclusion. I personally have not seen anyone wearing green and yellow in the SDSU Bookstore, the Jackrabbit Central Store downtown, or the stadium Jackrabbit Central store (I do not believe the stadium store was open the last time the Bison played in Brookings). As other posters have pointed out, the bars and restaurants are full and the hotels are full. The money is the same whether it came from a Jacks fan from Minneapolis or Omaha or a Bison fan in Fargo.
            The mass buying of the extra tickets was to keep the Bison out (this does not include all people). To argue otherwise is silly. It isn't like this very topic hasn't been discussed at length for quite some time.

As for your second paragraph...it wasn't that Bison fans would spend more than Jackrabbit fans. It was that Bison fans would spend more than the empty seats (this is assuming that that amount of tickets purchased by the big donor will go empty). I am not saying they will go empty...just that is what the argument was.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
              The mass buying of the extra tickets was to keep the Bison out (this does not include all people). To argue otherwise is silly. It isn't like this very topic hasn't been discussed at length for quite some time.

As for your second paragraph...it wasn't that Bison fans would spend more than Jackrabbit fans. It was that Bison fans would spend more than the empty seats (this is assuming that that amount of tickets purchased by the big donor will go empty). I am not saying they will go empty...just that is what the argument was.
              I know a lot of season ticket holders who purchased extra tickets so that Jackrabbits fans and potential Jacks fans can get tickets. My extra purchases are peanuts but I do that to bring new people to SDSU games. I wish I had bought a lot of additional tickets for the NDSU game because I had people calling me (before it was announced that the game was sold out) seeking tickets. As far as a "mass buying", the only mass buying that I've seen mentioned is 1000 tickets supposedly purchased by Larson Manufacturing and that information was stated on message boards -- not particularly reliable sources. But, assume such mass buying took place (1000 / 19500 = about five percent), good for us. I'm certainly not disappointed that the Bison crowd may be limited. We're building the program which includes expanding the fan base and I'm pretty sure our plans do not depend on the good will and support of the Bison. (Like, that would be reliable!)

I do, however, understand the upset some Bison must feel if they were planning on attending and do not have a ticket. I hope that the SDSU fan base continues to expand so that there are few tickets available for any visiting team's fans. As long as we're getting great attendance and the seats are filled by people wearing yellow and blue, I really could not care less about how difficult it is for a visiting fan to get a seat. (Again, I understand the upset and would not like being in those shoes.)

The new stadium attendance record was set last year against Youngstown: 17,730. There were few YSU fans at that game. For the Drake game last weekend, we had 15,806 fans...few visitors in the stands. Jacks fans knew the Drake game had the potential to be a wipeout and there was threatening weather early in the day but the crowd was disappointing to me. Even so, the upward trend continues. The game with USD should bring a big crowd but it hasn't so far. But, the 'Yotes are the up-and-coming program and next year may be a different story in Brookings.

I understand your second point: if there are empty seats which would have been by Bison fans, that would be a shame. [A few years ago we had a difficult time buying tickets to the FargoDome. Picked up four but would have purchased a few more if available. When we arrived, there were a number of empty seats close to the seats we had...I'm sure the tickets were sold but the purchasers didn't show...darn shame because a few more of my buddies would have attended. But, that happens.] Right now, we have the revenue from tickets sales in the bank. I have confidence the seats will be filled but we'll all find out on Nov 4.

Comment

I know you will disagree, JackJD, but the economic argument is not that NDSU fans spend more than SDSU fans; they argument is that since large blocks of ticket were likely bought last minute to keep us out, the seats will not be full, when they would be if sold to NDSU fans.

Just want to clarify that, and yes, I know everyone will say every seat will be filled. NDSU fans are very skeptical they will. Prove us all wrong.

Comment

I know you will disagree, JackJD, but the economic argument is not that NDSU fans spend more than SDSU fans; they argument is that since large blocks of ticket were likely bought last minute to keep us out, the seats will not be full, when they would be if sold to NDSU fans.

Just want to clarify that, and yes, I know everyone will say every seat will be filled. NDSU fans are very skeptical they will. Prove us all wrong.
                  Who's to say that NDSU fans will spend more than SDSU fans? I've heard several Bison fans say they come to Brookings, go to the game, then leave immediately. They wait until they are back in North Dakota to get gas, they purchase nothing in South Dakota. Huge economic impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I can only speak to my motivation for buying some additional tickets. If that keeps some Bison out, that's okay too! But i think the goal is to increase the number of Jacks fans attending football games all season long. Some of those people will get hooked and eventually buy season tickets. It's not just about the NDSU game...it's about growing the program.

Comment

I understand your point about the consequence of empty seats. I happen to disagree there will be a significant number of empty seats. For now, we're both speculating. My speculation is based on a crowd of17,700+ for Youngstown last year; SDSU won the regular-season game at Fargo and has the 'Marker' in possession; NDSU kicked the Jacks in the playoff game; another good NDSU team coming to town to play a good Jacks team...lots of factors that cause me to speculate on the side of a new stadium record that will be at or extremely close to capacity (I think the exact number is 19,340).

Comment

My take: Keeping NDSU fans out of the stadium is a nice side benefit to a really solid forward thinking strategy by SDSU and the athletic department.

-Yesterday, while wearing SDSU apparel, I ran into 2 SDSU graduates that I did not previously know. Both mentioned the NDSU sellout early in the conversation. They inquired about options for getting tickets for the Dakota Marker game, and were very curious about the cost of season tickets. I believe several others on the board have had similar conversations since the sellout was announced.

-I also ran into a Iowa fan that I have known for several years. He attends a game or two at Iowa, and has tickets for the Iowa/Colorado game at the Pentagon. He has never attended an SDSU event in Brookings, but has purchased all session passes to the Summit League Tournament for the last couple years. The first things he mentioned in our conversation was the Dakota Marker sellout (he used the words "Dakota Marker" not SDSU/NDSU game). He asked if I had extra tickets or if I knew how he could get some.

-I have to believe business owners in Brookings would prefer 6 well attended games every season over a Bison hoard once every 24 months (most of whom might buy a tank of gas if anything).
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I understand your point about the consequence of empty seats. I happen to disagree there will be a significant number of empty seats. For now, we're both speculating. My speculation is based on a crowd of17,700+ for Youngstown last year; SDSU won the regular-season game at Fargo and has the 'Marker' in possession; NDSU kicked the Jacks in the playoff game; another good NDSU team coming to town to play a good Jacks team...lots of factors that cause me to speculate on the side of a new stadium record that will be at or extremely close to capacity (I think the exact number is 19,340).
                          If both teams are undefeated on 11/4, it will be very difficult or costly to acquire a ticket. There will not be many/any empty seats.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

They had a good discussion on the Insiders on Bison 1660 about it yesterday. You'll enjoy it: https://www.bison1660.com/the-insiders

Interesting point I had not really thought about is the potential impact on local businesses. I wonder what the typical service business folks thought about all this? I had never thought about how much money some of those folks will lose. I know lots of folks who typically come, stay over night, and spend a lot of dough but are now not coming. I am sure many in your camp will still say it is worth it, but I did find that point has a bit of merit no matter how die hard a fan you may be. (Granted, I grew up with a dad in the service industry.)
                            Thanks for posting, that was hilarious!

The lack of knowledge, misinformation, unfounded speculation, and butt hurt makes me think the hosts are regular posters on Bisonville.

Comment

So if a bunch of Bison fans that dont have tickets, come to just tailgate, dont they have to leave when the game starts or go to the game? Im listening to the insiders right now. I know Jeff Culhane personally, his parents and other family. Im just shaking my head at some of the things he is saying. But i guess its his job. He really is a great guy, he was friends with my son in high school. All i can say to Jeff(cause i know he is reading our forum) is "Cmon Man"

Comment

I've heard another large donor has paid Midco to blackout the game in North Dakota, thus forcing any NDSU fans to either drive to another neighboring state to even watch the game. The ones that must drive to South Dakota will likely hit the nearest sports bar and watch the game while drinking nothing but water to avoid spending any money in the state.

Comment

Working...
                                X