Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NDSU Nov 4th

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
    There has been some great posts on this thread. It had me thinking more about the game on November 4th at home last night. It had me thinking about where SDSU Football is, where it is going, and what it is going to take to get to the top.

To that end, I think you need to look at who's on top. There is no doubt that the Buffalo Chips from up north are the preeminent program in all of FCS. They have the tradition in on field performance, financial support, and from a fanbase that is as passionate as any in the country. I would encourage any Jacks fan to go to Fargo and experience a game day sometime. You have to tip the cap to how they do it. They show up early to tailgate and it doesn't matter how cold it is! They do it right. In fact, I read an article a couple weeks ago that ranked them in the top 20 tailgates in all of college football. It doesn't end there. They poor themselves into the FargoDome and create an environment that is second to none in FCS and rivals any in the country for energy in the stadium. Their fans understand that they are part of the tradition and are a factor in their programs success. They feel obligated not to just show up but to make so much damn noise your ears will bleed. Topping it off, they are behind their team financially in a big way with organizations like "The Playmakers" and give them the resources they need and then some. The whole thing really is quite impressive. and they do this for EVERY home game not just the one or two that you circle on the calendar every year. Sure, there are some things I could certainly do without. Chief among them the saying Bison over Free at the end of the anthem but overall I give them major credit. They've turned Bison football into THE event in the state of North Dakota in a way that Nebraska has done in that state.

So, here we are at SDSU a few weeks away from our first sellout. The buzz for that day is already palpable. But, I think it is bigger than that. I think as a fan base we need to look at that we can all do to get the Jacks over the top and be a contender for the best in the FCS.

WHERE ARE WE AT SDSU? There is no doubt our program is on the rise. WE have had sustainable success for a few years that has led to our first MVFC title and successive years in the playoffs. We have the best facilities in all of FCS. Our attendance is respectable and climbing. The atmosphere in the stadium is getting better. The financial backing is solid but still needs to improve.

WHAT US FANS NEED TO DO AT SDSU? This is where the game on November 4th is so important in my book. Yes, we sold this sucker out. That is fantastic! Congrats to Jackrabbit Nation on the accomplishment. Heck, you have to start somewhere. But, just showing up isn't good enough any more. It is time for our fans to step up and turn DJD Stadium into a home field advantage that rivals any others in the FCS including the Buffalo Chips. The team deserves it. Hell, we deserve it. Let's make this game one of those days where you can say "I was there, and it was incredible!" All of those people that are coming to the game that aren't regulars, let's turn them into season ticket holders. However, that's just the start. Then WE need to do it all over again the very next week when Illinois State comes to town. And it needs to continue into next season when we have the first game against Patsy U. If we want a piece of what is going on in Fargo, that is what it takes.

I will get off my soap box in a second but this is a special and possibly once in a lifetime opportunity. Yes, there are a lot of games between now and then. So, let's fill it up for those games too. This team that SDSU has this year has an opportunity to be special and can take us places this program has never been to before. It would be a shame if we as fans didn't take the time to get behind them and do what we can to make the atmosphere just as special as the field on the team. That is what they do in Fargo. The names on the jerseys change but the people in the seats making the noise are the same. It's time for us to do that in Brookings.

I know that I'm preaching to the choir on this forum but it just doesn't feel like we all understand how big this moment could be. It is time to rise up, make some noise, and be counted.

I need a cigarette!

SUPERBUNNY
    Gotta say, I respect the passion.

Comment

Sadly I think some of the best games and crowds SDSU has ever had tend to be the smallest. Games with 8k or end of the season and home win over EIU a few years ago in the playoffs jump out to me as the best crowds we have had. Often when we are packed I feel they are generally quiet and once the final score seems set the crowds start to file out well before the game is over. I know we were playing Drake last week but people around us were gone basically after the 3 quarter started. The one large crowd that I was impressed with and I thought both fan bases did great was the Koenig TD run against the bison. That was just a great game and packed and both fan bases got into the game. The last time the bison were here it was like we sat there watching NDSU fans celebrate. Some around us last game in brooking sure did their best to try to be obnoxious. It wasn't just cheering it was we are awesome and you guys suck sort of yelling, where other bison fans in the section would tell them to shut up or knock it off. They were clearly drunk but watching NDSU fans make a fool of themselves wasn't as much fun as you would think.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

There has been some great posts on this thread. It had me thinking more about the game on November 4th at home last night. It had me thinking about where SDSU Football is, where it is going, and what it is going to take to get to the top.

To that end, I think you need to look at who's on top. There is no doubt that the Buffalo Chips from up north are the preeminent program in all of FCS. They have the tradition in on field performance, financial support, and from a fanbase that is as passionate as any in the country. I would encourage any Jacks fan to go to Fargo and experience a game day sometime. You have to tip the cap to how they do it. They show up early to tailgate and it doesn't matter how cold it is! They do it right. In fact, I read an article a couple weeks ago that ranked them in the top 20 tailgates in all of college football. It doesn't end there. They poor themselves into the FargoDome and create an environment that is second to none in FCS and rivals any in the country for energy in the stadium. Their fans understand that they are part of the tradition and are a factor in their programs success. They feel obligated not to just show up but to make so much damn noise your ears will bleed. Topping it off, they are behind their team financially in a big way with organizations like "The Playmakers" and give them the resources they need and then some. The whole thing really is quite impressive. and they do this for EVERY home game not just the one or two that you circle on the calendar every year. Sure, there are some things I could certainly do without. Chief among them the saying Bison over Free at the end of the anthem but overall I give them major credit. They've turned Bison football into THE event in the state of North Dakota in a way that Nebraska has done in that state.

So, here we are at SDSU a few weeks away from our first sellout. The buzz for that day is already palpable. But, I think it is bigger than that. I think as a fan base we need to look at that we can all do to get the Jacks over the top and be a contender for the best in the FCS.

WHERE ARE WE AT SDSU? There is no doubt our program is on the rise. WE have had sustainable success for a few years that has led to our first MVFC title and successive years in the playoffs. We have the best facilities in all of FCS. Our attendance is respectable and climbing. The atmosphere in the stadium is getting better. The financial backing is solid but still needs to improve.

WHAT US FANS NEED TO DO AT SDSU? This is where the game on November 4th is so important in my book. Yes, we sold this sucker out. That is fantastic! Congrats to Jackrabbit Nation on the accomplishment. Heck, you have to start somewhere. But, just showing up isn't good enough any more. It is time for our fans to step up and turn DJD Stadium into a home field advantage that rivals any others in the FCS including the Buffalo Chips. The team deserves it. Hell, we deserve it. Let's make this game one of those days where you can say "I was there, and it was incredible!" All of those people that are coming to the game that aren't regulars, let's turn them into season ticket holders. However, that's just the start. Then WE need to do it all over again the very next week when Illinois State comes to town. And it needs to continue into next season when we have the first game against Patsy U. If we want a piece of what is going on in Fargo, that is what it takes.

I will get off my soap box in a second but this is a special and possibly once in a lifetime opportunity. Yes, there are a lot of games between now and then. So, let's fill it up for those games too. This team that SDSU has this year has an opportunity to be special and can take us places this program has never been to before. It would be a shame if we as fans didn't take the time to get behind them and do what we can to make the atmosphere just as special as the field on the team. That is what they do in Fargo. The names on the jerseys change but the people in the seats making the noise are the same. It's time for us to do that in Brookings.

I know that I'm preaching to the choir on this forum but it just doesn't feel like we all understand how big this moment could be. It is time to rise up, make some noise, and be counted.

I need a cigarette!

SUPERBUNNY
        Agree with TAB; great post. You really want to send them into a frenzy? Beat us, and beat us soundly. Do to us what we did to you 2 years ago. I have to think that out get folks on the SDSU train, finally.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          I've heard another large donor has paid Midco to blackout the game in North Dakota, thus forcing any NDSU fans to either drive to another neighboring state to even watch the game. The ones that must drive to South Dakota will likely hit the nearest sports bar and watch the game while drinking nothing but water to avoid spending any money in the state.
          That was so good, I modified a bit with a hat tip to you on Bisonville. Hoping to catch a few fish......

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
            Gotta say, I respect the passion.
            Am I wrong about that is what you have going on up north? The fans are a part of it. They enter the building knowing that they are expected to be a part of it. We are still kind of "Thanks for just showing up" mentality here. Again, we are going the right way but a long way to go. It's a nice problem to have.

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              Sadly I think some of the best games and crowds SDSU has ever had tend to be the smallest. Games with 8k or end of the season and home win over EIU a few years ago in the playoffs jump out to me as the best crowds we have had. Often when we are packed I feel they are generally quiet and once the final score seems set the crowds start to file out well before the game is over. I know we were playing Drake last week but people around us were gone basically after the 3 quarter started. The one large crowd that I was impressed with and I thought both fan bases did great was the Koenig TD run against the bison. That was just a great game and packed and both fan bases got into the game. The last time the bison were here it was like we sat there watching NDSU fans celebrate. Some around us last game in brooking sure did their best to try to be obnoxious. It wasn't just cheering it was we are awesome and you guys suck sort of yelling, where other bison fans in the section would tell them to shut up or knock it off. They were clearly drunk but watching NDSU fans make a fool of themselves wasn't as much fun as you would think.
              Agree with the first part of your post. Those games are when only the diehard fans show up. We just need more of them. The game November 4th is a chance to convert some of those casual fans into diehards.

As for the obnoxious Bison fans, yeah we've all seen them. Guess what? We have a few too.

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Am I wrong about that is what you have going on up north? The fans are a part of it. They enter the building knowing that they are expected to be a part of it. We are still kind of "Thanks for just showing up" mentality here. Again, we are going the right way but a long way to go. It's a nice problem to have.

SUPERBUNNY
                No, you nailed it pretty good. The first playoff game in the dome (2010) was a great awakening for Bison Nation. The die-hards showed up (it was a smaller crowd...kind of like what goon was saying) and it got loud. After that playoffs got real loud along with some regular season games. Intensity has grown as a whole...but we still have a lot of fans that just want to sit on their hands and be entertained.

Back to the game coming up...I am very intrigued about how it will play out. Your defense is not playing well...which they really weren't last year either...until you played us. You guys dominated us from start to finish. Our run game wasn't good at all. In the playoffs we had numerous 3rd and long situations that we got out of...but it has me concerned about this matchup. Going to the well to many times kind of thing. I expect your defense to look good against us. We had a great plan to minimize your passing attack last time...but not sure if it will work a second time. But I'm hoping for a cold, nasty day come Nov 4th...hoping the weather plays into our hands. If it is a nice day...could be quite a battle.

Comment

The Dakota marker will be South Dakota State's second sellout game. Montana state was our first. This is going to be a special season, what are Jack Rabbit fans doing to assure the USD game is also a sell-out? We should be buying every Ticket available at the Dakota Dome to assure Jackrabbits are well-represented.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                    The Dakota marker will be South Dakota State's second sellout game. Montana state was our first. This is going to be a special season, what are Jack Rabbit fans doing to assure the USD game is also a sell-out? We should be buying every Ticket available at the Dakota Dome to assure Jackrabbits are well-represented.
                    I must be having a brain short circuit: when was that game against Montana State? The largest crowd in the Dykehouse Stadium was last year's game against YSU: 17,730.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      I must be having a brain short circuit: when was that game against Montana State? The largest crowd in the Dykehouse Stadium was last year's game against YSU: 17,730.
                      I think he means the second sellout crowd SDSU is playing in front of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Okay, that makes sense. I was reading the post to indicate "home" sellout.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                          I think he means the second sellout crowd SDSU is playing in front of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Bingo

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            Okay, that makes sense. I was reading the post to indicate "home" sellout.
                            It was their stadium that sold out when we played them this year.

Comment

Should have clarified. Yes the sellout game for Montana state was there. The Dakota marker is our first sellout game. Can we sell out any of the other games? I also envision that are game at USD will be a sell-out down there. How many times at FCS opponents, has South Dakota State been a sell-out?

Comment

[QUOTE=rabidrabbit;317390]Should have clarified. Yes the sellout game for Montana state was there. The Dakota marker is our first sellout game. Can we sell out any of the other games? I also envision that are game at USD will be a sell-out down there. How many times at FCS opponents, has South Dakota State been a sell-out?[/QUOTE.

How many times have they sold out the Fargo Dome when we've been there? That is probably the answer

Comment

Working...
                                X