Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brookings Area Thriving

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
    I am legitimately interested in why you think this is true.
    Good Lord...no doubt. I guess I should move back to SF so my kids can get that fabulous SF public education or pay tuition at one of the private schools so my kids can get accepted into State. "Eye roll"

I can't imagine how good of an MBA program my boss's son would've gotten into if he would have grown up in SF. He's at Havard if you were wondering. I could go on and on but I think you get my point, not to mention that the examples are about families that live in towns of less than 1500 much less Brookings.
    I mean come on...do you realize how many professors kid's are being educated in Brookings? In all reality I would bet the education in Brookings is actually superior to any SF school given the "clientele".
    Last edited by propar80; 06-13-2017, 07:26 AM.
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Always confuses me why people seem to want to pit Brookings against Sioux Falls and vice versa on the SDSU forum. I happen to think both communities are incredibly important to South Dakota State University and the cities actually complement each other quite well.

I personally love both communities, as they both have a ton of positives aspects and minimal negatives.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
        Always confuses me why people seem to want to pit Brookings against Sioux Falls and vice versa on the SDSU forum. I happen to think both communities are incredibly important to South Dakota State University and the cities actually complement each other quite well.

I personally love both communities, as they both have a ton of positives aspects and minimal negatives.
        I dont get it either. Any drive to SF from Arlington involves going down I-29. I am always passed by several cars with license plates that start with #6, which is Brookings County. I would venture their destination is SF, like myself,to see a doctor or to shop or they may work in SF. There is no comparison in available services. SF has been leader for a long time and those with common sense realize this. There is no comparison. Yes they both support SDSU, and KELOLAND did not have to do the news stories about Brookings. Obviously they are not worried but happy about the growth pattern in the Brookings community.

Comment

Schools, faith, whiskey, women - all things we like to fight over. I love the pride people have in things they are vested in. They should be, it's what makes America great! (Sorry Donald, you can't take credit for that.)

When it comes to education, 98% of us on this board know where you can get the best college education. While we all can justify our decision by our own set of facts, the reality is that it is all arbitrary. Take for instance the SD Department of Education's Report Card on College Readiness of public high school graduates. If we all made the decision to send our kids to the top school based on the composite of English and Math readiness, Warner's enrollment (94% college ready) would dwarf all of Sioux Falls schools. Four of the top five schools in that report card would all love to compete for a Nine-man championship next fall. The highest ranking large schools based on this matrix are:

Brandon Valley (86%), Lincoln (82%), Yankton (80%), Stevens (80%), Spearfish (78%), Brookings (78%)

Even Vermillion ranked higher than Pierre, AC, Mitchell, Roosevelt, Watertown, Washington, Huron, and RC Central. That doesn't mean all of us would rather send our kids to Vermillion rather than one of those schools.

The bottom line is that each of our kids likely have a better fit in certain schools than others. I look at my four kids and I'm thrilled with the education they are receiving in Kearney, NE. The school has many opportunities for students to excel academically and with extra curricular activities. Few schools in Nebraska produce more Regent Scholars than what Kearney produces and athletes like Noah Urbanek can compete at the highest prep level. However, the majority of my fellow employees have their kids go to school in Lexington where the vast majority of students (70%) have English as a secondary language. These parents feel that having that exposure to Spanish as a major asset for their kids future. Others choose many of the fine smaller area schools because of the opportunities for a variety of extra curricular activities and a curriculum that is focused on having all students ready for their kids next stage in life. Based on our three oldest kids, their peers in college cover the gambit of school types. Success is not based on what high school they graduated from, but on how these kids developed individually. My wife and I feel that schools assist us as parents in developing our kids and reaching their fullest potential. What we invest in time and education is foremost in their education and our public schools have assisted us in that pursuit of excellence.

SF_Rabbit_Fan knows where his kids best fit. It's not necessarily what is best for my kids or for Nidaros. What we can all agree on, at least 98% of us, is that to be a Jackrabbit is second to none!

I love Brookings and my wife and I are seriously considering retirement in that area in 15 years. It may not happen based on where our kids settle down at, but we love the place where we first discovered who we were as young people and where we were married as a couple.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
            Schools, faith, whiskey, women - all things we like to fight over. I love the pride people have in things they are vested in. They should be, it's what makes America great! (Sorry Donald, you can't take credit for that.)

When it comes to education, 98% of us on this board know where you can get the best college education. While we all can justify our decision by our own set of facts, the reality is that it is all arbitrary. Take for instance the SD Department of Education's Report Card on College Readiness of public high school graduates. If we all made the decision to send our kids to the top school based on the composite of English and Math readiness, Warner's enrollment (94% college ready) would dwarf all of Sioux Falls schools. Four of the top five schools in that report card would all love to compete for a Nine-man championship next fall. The highest ranking large schools based on this matrix are:

Brandon Valley (86%), Lincoln (82%), Yankton (80%), Stevens (80%), Spearfish (78%), Brookings (78%)

Even Vermillion ranked higher than Pierre, AC, Mitchell, Roosevelt, Watertown, Washington, Huron, and RC Central. That doesn't mean all of us would rather send our kids to Vermillion rather than one of those schools.

The bottom line is that each of our kids likely have a better fit in certain schools than others. I look at my four kids and I'm thrilled with the education they are receiving in Kearney, NE. The school has many opportunities for students to excel academically and with extra curricular activities. Few schools in Nebraska produce more Regent Scholars than what Kearney produces and athletes like Noah Urbanek can compete at the highest prep level. However, the majority of my fellow employees have their kids go to school in Lexington where the vast majority of students (70%) have English as a secondary language. These parents feel that having that exposure to Spanish as a major asset for their kids future. Others choose many of the fine smaller area schools because of the opportunities for a variety of extra curricular activities and a curriculum that is focused on having all students ready for their kids next stage in life. Based on our three oldest kids, their peers in college cover the gambit of school types. Success is not based on what high school they graduated from, but on how these kids developed individually. My wife and I feel that schools assist us as parents in developing our kids and reaching their fullest potential. What we invest in time and education is foremost in their education and our public schools have assisted us in that pursuit of excellence.

SF_Rabbit_Fan knows where his kids best fit. It's not necessarily what is best for my kids or for Nidaros. What we can all agree on, at least 98% of us, is that to be a Jackrabbit is second to none!

I love Brookings and my wife and I are seriously considering retirement in that area in 15 years. It may not happen based on where our kids settle down at, but we love the place where we first discovered who we were as young people and where we were married as a couple.
            Well said Gopherhole! At the end of the day we as parents are responsible for how our children turn out and our schools only should "assist" in that development no matter where you live. I sometimes wonder if that is being lost in our busy lives.
            Please don't think of your schools and teachers as daycares and daycare providers. My apologizes for the drift as I feel like Kramer in that Seinfeld episode where he vows not to talk ever again. Haven't posted in a long time!
            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

There are only a few towns/cities in South Dakota that I would want to live in and Brookings & Sioux Falls are on top of that list. To each his own.

Comment

I've lived in both (and a few other places in SD). After living in Sioux Falls for the past 2 years, I honestly can't imagine going back to anywhere else in this state. But that's due to my own situation and tastes. I don't begrudge anyone else a different point of view.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                  I've lived in both (and a few other places in SD). After living in Sioux Falls for the past 2 years, I honestly can't imagine going back to anywhere else in this state. But that's due to my own situation and tastes. I don't begrudge anyone else a different point of view.
                  You articulated my feelings more succinctly and politely.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
                    I am legitimately interested in why you think this is true.
                    Here is roughly what I told another poster via private message:

I should have said that I think the overall quality of education in Brookings is very good, Brookings is a great community with great teachers/students/schools. I hadn't thought about the opportunity for Brookings students to attend classes at SDSU which was mentioned by another poster. But it would be very hard for my family to step away from what we have in SF.

I have to admit I'm not familiar with everything Brookings offers, but here are a few I'm pretty confident about:

http://www.siouxfallschristian.org/

http://www.sfcss.org/

http://www.sf.k12.sd.us/schools/elem...onia-sotomayor

http://www.sf.k12.sd.us/schools/elem...s/eugene-field

http://www.sf.k12.sd.us/schools/elem...allenge-center

http://www.sf.k12.sd.us/schools/high...new-technology

http://www.sf.k12.sd.us/schools/high...cation-academy

Obviously these aren't everyone's cup of tea, but they are extremely important for some people. A quick search tells me 560 students attended Sonia Sotomayor K-5 last year., and I've heard they turn people away every year. There are certainly ways to get similar education in Brookings, but nothing as intense/focused/immersive as what the above have to offer - based on my (limited) understanding.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I think Brookings is doing a great job in the area of growth. I overstayed in Brookings after college and therefore postponed adulthood. I realize it doesn't work that way for most, but it did for me. Leaving there was the best thing for me and I'd never live in a college town again. This is not to say I like SF, which seems often like a college town, because I do not. It's changed remarkably in my lifetime, and I'm sort of done with it. We are looking in the south for something completely different.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                        There are only a few towns/cities in South Dakota that I would want to live in and Brookings & Sioux Falls are on top of that list. To each his own.
                        Agreed. Sioux Falls and Brookings top my personal list of the best places to live in South Dakota. (But a nice home along a clean lake, the Missouri River or a Black Hills stream would be tempting, too.) Every growing community in the state (there aren't many of them) faces workforce issues. Brookings has an advantage on that front. Every year, a few thousand new students come to Brookings to go to college. The challenge is to get more of them to stay.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Obviously these aren't everyone's cup of tea, but they are extremely important for some people. A quick search tells me 560 students attended Sonia Sotomayor K-5 last year., and I've heard they turn people away every year. There are certainly ways to get similar education in Brookings, but nothing as intense/focused/immersive as what the above have to offer - based on my (limited) understanding.[/QUOTE]

I find the Sonia Sotomayor school interesting. If they talk and write only in Spanish, is it up the the parents to teach their children all of their English stuff until they join the other children in 6th grade.
                          I'm not saying that a second language is bad or that parents shouldn't be involved with their children's education but this seems a little overboard to me. As I've heard many times, "different strokes for different folks".
                          I have also heard that if you start the children out young, they pick things up much quicker than older person do so maybe it's not that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                            Obviously these aren't everyone's cup of tea, but they are extremely important for some people. A quick search tells me 560 students attended Sonia Sotomayor K-5 last year., and I've heard they turn people away every year. There are certainly ways to get similar education in Brookings, but nothing as intense/focused/immersive as what the above have to offer - based on my (limited) understanding.
                            I find the Sonia Sotomayor school interesting. If they talk and write only in Spanish, is it up the the parents to teach their children all of their English stuff until they join the other children in 6th grade.
                            I'm not saying that a second language is bad or that parents shouldn't be involved with their children's education but this seems a little overboard to me. As I've heard many times, "different strokes for different folks".
                            I have also heard that if you start the children out young, they pick things up much quicker than older person do so maybe it's not that bad.[/QUOTE]

they are taught 100% in Spanish with a few exceptions music, art and PE. Then in third grade they introduce English language learning in third grade. These kids will fall behind English learning behind other English speaking schools. They eventually catch up by about fifth grade. Since Spanish is not their native language different parts of the brain is used with learning and research shows better problem solving, spatial thought etc with students who are bilingual. We are told the best thing for our kids is to read 20 minutes per night in English and as you do that they will start associating what they learn in Spanish and English. We as parents aren't required to teach English curriculum like school at home. If any questions feel free to ask. I hope this make sense as I am not an eloquent writer.

http://carla.umn.edu/immersion/docum...raFortune.html

Comment

Disclaimer I'm not putting one school system against another as I am thankful for my education at Hamlin. But interesting next year SF school will have 3, I believe, coding immersion schools. When I heard a guy talk about it the concept was pretty cool which I really cannot remember much any more. Example though of playing chess blind and only making moves based on opponents moves and stating what piece you want moved where based on knowing where all the pieces are on the board.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                                Here is roughly what I told another poster via private message:

I should have said that I think the overall quality of education in Brookings is very good, Brookings is a great community with great teachers/students/schools. I hadn't thought about the opportunity for Brookings students to attend classes at SDSU which was mentioned by another poster. But it would be very hard for my family to step away from what we have in SF.

I have to admit I'm not familiar with everything Brookings offers, but here are a few I'm pretty confident about:

http://www.siouxfallschristian.org/

http://www.sfcss.org/

http://www.sf.k12.sd.us/schools/elem...onia-sotomayor

http://www.sf.k12.sd.us/schools/elem...s/eugene-field

http://www.sf.k12.sd.us/schools/elem...allenge-center

http://www.sf.k12.sd.us/schools/high...new-technology

http://www.sf.k12.sd.us/schools/high...cation-academy

My son goes too Eugene field and my daughter will in a couple years and we couldn't be happier. Oddly enough it was the same school I went too and my son had the same kindergarten teacher as I had.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X