• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sexauer Field now a memory

Sexauer Field now a memory
    https://brookingsregister.com/articl...d-now-a-memory

Re: Sexauer Field now a memory

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    Thank goodness. Always the worst part of a campus tour.
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

That was interesting. Thanks for sharing.
      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
        Thank goodness. Always the worst part of a campus tour.
        Lots of memories, my earliest one was military one, right after WWII ended with a bunch of troops marching. That's about all that I recall. I was four or five at the time. I saw some great football games including Augie first win over SDSU in 1956. Augie Coach Bob Burns arguing at half about putting more time back on the clock so Augie could get one more play in. The Jacks were in Barn dressing room but had to come back out for one play. Onside kick being used by Augie. Most of the fans, myself included did not know it existed. The last season 1962 was an exciting one. It featured Joe Thorne at FB who actually ran plays besides blocking. All day games, as they had already ripped out the lights, and yes Brookings High School had to return to their own field in Pioneer Park.

I agree that it became a real eye sore in the last few years, and certainly not a selling point for SDSU.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 06-01-2017, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Great memories of high school track meets there. With the dairy bar close at hand, it was never a record setting day.

The pine needles would get thick enough on the NE corner than you couldn't see the lines. Not to mention, the last 20 feet of track before the finish line settled/sank enough that they quit having meets in the late 90's. It felt like running off a cliff.

Somehow, meets there always had beautiful weather. Despite its shortcomings, it was always one of my favorite place to run.

Comment

I've personally been waiting for YEARS to get rid of this. In the middle of campus, wasting space, and being an eye-sore. I'd be ok with it being the permanent place for intramurals if they want to do that (pretty sure the other one is going to have to be parking, eventually), but I have a feeling it will become the place for a new building or two.

(Note: I love SDSU and its history. I wish more could have been done to preserve certain buildings on campus that are now gone. I also wish the Barn could be used more than it is, and that it wasn't changed. Sexauer just doesn't have a purpose and is now taking up vital land on campus that can be used for better purposes. I'm all up for preserving our history and protecting what we have left on campus, but it was time for Sexauer to go.)
            Rollin' in my 5.0
            With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
            Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post
              Great memories of high school track meets there. With the dairy bar close at hand, it was never a record setting day.

The pine needles would get thick enough on the NE corner than you couldn't see the lines. Not to mention, the last 20 feet of track before the finish line settled/sank enough that they quit having meets in the late 90's. It felt like running off a cliff.

Somehow, meets there always had beautiful weather. Despite its shortcomings, it was always one of my favorite place to run.
              It was one of my more favorite places to run in high school, as well. Arlington's track was junk so I'm not sure we even had a high school meet there when I was there. Sioux Valley's track was slick asphalt.

I had always hoped that maybe one day that it would be updated for on campus track again or torn out completely since I thought it to be a bit of a campus blemish, even in the early to mid 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                It was one of my more favorite places to run in high school, as well. Arlington's track was junk so I'm not sure we even had a high school meet there when I was there. Sioux Valley's track was slick asphalt.

I had always hoped that maybe one day that it would be updated for on campus track again or torn out completely since I thought it to be a bit of a campus blemish, even in the early to mid 90s.
                This year they had two young ladies place at the state meet. Jayna Hauschild cleared 8 feet in the pole vault but missed at 8'6". She finished sixth and is only a sophomore. So there is some future there to build around. Brylee Hennich placed seventh in 800 m. This was her last performance at the high level. Bylee was also valedictorian of class of 26.

Comment

Unfortunately, track and field doesn't draw what it once would. I don't like moving sports off campus, but Sexauer was never maintained like it should had been. I hope they keep the gate area with the records information.
                  Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                  -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

I ran there in the early 90s and it wasn’t in good shape. Loved the location and setting., but the outer lanes were no good. I made a trip back to campus a few months before it was ripped up and it was completely unsafe by that time. Took one last walk and relived plenty of good memories.

Comment

Working...
                    X