Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Omaha athletic budget story

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    I believe Mike H is a member here. It'd be interesting to hear his feelings on the move now. To be fair the move to DI could have gone much worse than it has. There were an awful lot of ardent SDSU supporters who we against the move. Jerry (the bowling alley guy) was one of them I believe. He was a staple during the DII days and non-existent after the jump.

It's hard to argue that the jump hasn't been a success but it could easily have been a bad thing too. Luckily we had the right people in the right positions to lead us.
    I'm not arguing that at all. I just don't think they bothered to get the facts about why the move was being made. Instead, they tried to play off their listeners emotions, especially the idea that we were ruining the NCC. Doesn't really matter, that's in the distant past now. I was trying to explain why Mattick would tweet out info if it was a negative about the move to DI.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The Sioux Falls radio sports show in question is Sports Talk with Craig (Mattick) & John (Gaskins). It's on 1230 AM. It's OK, especially Gaskins, but they spend too much time talking about college teams at Nebraska, Minnesota and Iowa, and also a whole lot about the Twins and the Vikings. They should be talking more about SDSU and other local colleges. When they bring on Matt Zimmer to discuss SDSU, they end up spending the most of the segment talking about the Twins or some national topic that dozens of other stations are talking about. In my opinion, KWSN is wasting the opportunity to become the station of choice for a lot of sports fans in the Brookings-Sioux Falls-Vermillion area.

Sorry for the thread drift, but this looked like a good place to vent. Good luck to UNO!
      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        I'd never heard of the dude before.
        He does a lot of the girls SD HIGH SCHOOL ACTIVITIES ASSOCIATION basketball tournament Championship games,as does Mike H.

Comment

The Summit league is getting very close to the 1960s/1980s NCC - MN schools and private schools at bottom. Pick up uni & its replacement, UNC. It is the moved up ncc.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            The Sioux Falls radio sports show in question is Sports Talk with Craig (Mattick) & John (Gaskins). It's on 1230 AM. It's OK, especially Gaskins, but they spend too much time talking about college teams at Nebraska, Minnesota and Iowa, and also a whole lot about the Twins and the Vikings. They should be talking more about SDSU and other local colleges. When they bring on Matt Zimmer to discuss SDSU, they end up spending the most of the segment talking about the Twins or some national topic that dozens of other stations are talking about. In my opinion, KWSN is wasting the opportunity to become the station of choice for a lot of sports fans in the Brookings-Sioux Falls-Vermillion area.

Sorry for the thread drift, but this looked like a good place to vent. Good luck to UNO!
            I am incorrect on the frequency of KWSN, it is 1230 and not 1270. Its been a while since I have tunned them in.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
              The Summit league is getting very close to the 1960s/1980s NCC - MN schools and private schools at bottom. Pick up uni & its replacement, UNC. It is the moved up ncc.
              Lessee . . .

NCAA (pre-College Division): NCC 1.0
              NCAA College Division: NCC 2.0
              NCAA Division II: NCC 2.5
              NCAA Division I: Summit League ~= NCC 3.0

I think I've got the version numbers approximately correct.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Mattick is really trying to work the angle that USD and SDSU are struggling due to other universities struggling.

@kwsnsports .@GoJacksSDSU & @SDCoyotes rival SIU slashing 80 academia jobs due. How troubling are times for SD schools & athletics? @mickgarry w/ us NOW

Did anyone catch Mick Garrry on their show?

Comment

I caught most of the KWSN interview with Mick Garry. He has a better understanding of the situation than Mattick. As I recall, Garry pointed out that situations differ from institution to institution (see UNO) and perhaps more so, from state to state (see Illinois, which has been struggling for years). State economies and generosity of education spending are big factors. If a state's economy goes down the toilet, higher ed usually feels the pain, too. I will add that South Dakota, despite a stagnant ag industry, is doing relatively OK. Also, its universities depend heavily on private donors for sports facilities.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                    I caught most of the KWSN interview with Mick Garry. He has a better understanding of the situation than Mattick. As I recall, Garry pointed out that situations differ from institution to institution (see UNO) and perhaps more so, from state to state (see Illinois, which has been struggling for years). State economies and generosity of education spending are big factors. If a state's economy goes down the toilet, higher ed usually feels the pain, too. I will add that South Dakota, despite a stagnant ag industry, is doing relatively OK. Also, its universities depend heavily on private donors for sports facilities.
                    Why is Illinois really circling the drain? - Chicago Tribune

Summary: Pensions to state and local employees, funded irresponsibly poorly by all sides.

A problem, I would note, that the State of South Dakota does not have.

Google is your friend, Mattick.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                      Hmmm. Which was what this D1 doubter said would happen. Now, the move has ushered in great things and been successful by most any measure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X