• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omaha athletic budget story

Story on UNO budget questions/progress/problems

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/...58b2b7d02.html

Re: Omaha athletic budget story

Maybe I missed it, but did they mention on how the peer universities were selected?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      Story on UNO budget questions/progress/problems

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/...58b2b7d02.html
      The biggest problem is that UNO is not the only game in town. There is that little Catholic school called Creighton. The student body includes many working adults, who seem to have no interest in UNO athletics. Raising the student body fees might help. The commuting student will probably not notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
        Maybe I missed it, but did they mention on how the peer universities were selected?
        Peer institutions are normally selected on basis of similar mission and size of the institution. In the case of Omaha, the peer institutions listed were all public urban universities that are not the flagship institution in their state. Athletic programs probably played little role in selection of peer institutions.

SDSU's peer institutions are Colorado State, Kansas State, Montana State, New Mexico State, Oklahoma State, North Dakota State, Utah State, Southern Illinois, Montana, Idaho, USD, North Dakota, and Wyoming. The University or its governing board selects who it wants to list as its peers and uses the lists for a wide range of comparison purposes.

Comment

Glad to see Matt Zimmer set the record straight after a Sioux Falls radio host made the comment that SDSU & USD are probably sweating bullets too.

@argusmattz SDSU's financial situation is nothing like Omaha's. University fees going towards athletics continues to decrease.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
            Glad to see Matt Zimmer set the record straight after a Sioux Falls radio host made the comment that SDSU & USD are probably sweating bullets too.

@argusmattz SDSU's financial situation is nothing like Omaha's. University fees going towards athletics continues to decrease.
            Dude needs to take a seat. Keeps coming at a real journalist with information that isn't accurate. Not a good plan.

@craigmattick
            Every school in @thesummitleague or @ValleyFootball depend on huge subsidy to survive. SDSU (50%), USD (60%) Challenge to survive without it
            @argusmattz
            SDSU's subsidy is 39%. It was 72% 10 years ago. They're in a much different situation than Omaha.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
              Dude needs to take a seat. Keeps coming at a real journalist with information that isn't accurate. Not a good plan.
              It's Craig Mattick......what do you expect? He's still as against the move to DI as he was the day SDSU and NDSU announced. He will do anything to try and justify his opposition.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                It didn't mention but peer universities aren't selected by the paper for the story or anything. Each University has a set of peer universities they use to compare themselves to with similar qualities, characteristics. I don't know the full list of SDSUs anymore but they use to be - Colorado State, Idaho, Kansas State, Montana, Montana State, New Mexico State, North Dakota, North Dakota State, Oklahoma State, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale, Utah State and Wyoming.

So those peer universities that are mentioned are determined by the university for studies and such (urban, non-football, similar academics, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  It's Craig Mattick......what do you expect? He's still as against the move to DI as he was the day SDSU and NDSU announced. He will do anything to try and justify his opposition.
                  This. Can't believe this guy is still on the air. Does no research to back-up his theories and just talks out of his ...

Comment

I'd never heard of the dude before.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

He has been on KWSN 1270 AM for several years. His side kick used to be Mike Hendricksen. As Jackmd said they both bad-mouthed the move to D1 ever since the story broke that the move was under consideration. Mike has come around and seems to at least be tolerate of the move, Mattick is something else.

Comment

Some of the comments that follow the article are very hilarious. Here is one from Murdock, Nebraska:

"Sports increases enrollment"........ That's Bullsh#t..... Absolutely no way should students and taxpayers be subsidizing the huge salaries associated with athletic departments. THAT is the real reason for "SPORTS"; So that a handful of people can be millionaires. College is about one thing; Getting as good of an education as you can, because your life depends on it. It's time for both students and taxpayers to intervene and shut this money pit down."

This is typical of how Nebraskans feel towards UNO athetics.
                        Last edited by Nidaros; 05-31-2017, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                          This. Can't believe this guy is still on the air. Does no research to back-up his theories and just talks out of his ...
                          Craig's on-air personality is the equivalent of the old man in the local small town coffee spot playing cards, throwing dice, and complaining about issues on which he knows very little and understands even less.

Both can be entertaining, but its best not to take either too seriously.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

What Nidaros said. He and Mike H. both tried to play off the ignorance of the majority of their listeners by stating that the move to DI was going to dissolve SDSU into an irrelevant, bottom dwelling team in a no-name conference while undermining the greatest non-DI conference in all the land. I think Mike H has softened a little but Mattick has stuck to his guns. SF_Rabbit sums it up pretty well, except I don't think its just is "on air" personality. Although I don't know him well.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

What Nidaros said. He and Mike H. both tried to play off the ignorance of the majority of their listeners by stating that the move to DI was going to dissolve SDSU into an irrelevant, bottom dwelling team in a no-name conference while undermining the greatest non-DI conference in all the land. I think Mike H has softened a little but Mattick has stuck to his guns. SF_Rabbit sums it up pretty well, except I don't think its just is "on air" personality. Although I don't know him well.
                              I believe Mike H is a member here. It'd be interesting to hear his feelings on the move now. To be fair the move to DI could have gone much worse than it has. There were an awful lot of ardent SDSU supporters who we against the move. Jerry (the bowling alley guy) was one of them I believe. He was a staple during the DII days and non-existent after the jump.

It's hard to argue that the jump hasn't been a success but it could easily have been a bad thing too. Luckily we had the right people in the right positions to lead us.

Comment

Working...
                              X