could Horizon be targeting IPFW?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: could Horizon be targeting IPFW?...

Fear not,I'm sure Douples on top of the situation.He just doesn't like to go public with the information.I'm sure he's quietly working behind the scene and has a few more quality invites to the Summit League up his sleeve.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      Fear not,I'm sure Douples on top of the situation.He just doesn't like to go public with the information.I'm sure he's quietly working behind the scene and has a few more quality invites to the Summit League up his sleeve.
      Bite the bullet and go west for NMSU and GCU? Or worse case scenario and go for UMKC and UNC? I know Denver hates both GCU and UNC. It is definitely time to get aggressive, and I concur that Douple seems to be the kind of guy that has already been working behind the scenes.

Comment

I have always thought that NMSU would be a great addition and a reasonable travel partner for Denver or even for ORU. I am less enthusiastic about GCU but they are certainly an up and coming basketball program. I think i would prefer a more competitive program than UNC or UMKC although both or either make a lot of sense geographically. Anyway there are some reasonable options out there.

I would love to see us steal Green Bay and Milwaukee from the Horizon, but that won't happen in the short term.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
          I have always thought that NMSU would be a great addition and a reasonable travel partner for Denver or even for ORU. I am less enthusiastic about GCU but they are certainly an up and coming basketball program. I think i would prefer a more competitive program than UNC or UMKC although both or either make a lot of sense geographically. Anyway there are some reasonable options out there.

I would love to see us steal Green Bay and Milwaukee from the Horizon, but that won't happen in the short term.
          I wonder what the budget difference would be for teams in the horizon and MVC if they were to join the summit. Like UNI or Green bay for example would it cost more or save a bunch or break even......
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Might just offer all 4 and take the first 2 who join... Think UNC and GCU would fit best..... GCU has solid basketball, baseball and softball programs and a nice campus ... UNC is an old NCC for and would fit geographic profile well

Comment

Looking through twitter threads, it looks like a lot of UIC folks are getting agitated with the Horizon League and the lack of commitment to baseball. They suck at MBB and WBB but their baseball team would come in and compete with ORU right away. Probably a long shot, but I would welcome it.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                It sounds like IUPUI may be the team getting the invite.

https://twitter.com/IndyStarSports/s...27292794138624

SUPERBUNNY
                More signs it may be IUPUI:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...ion/103102686/
                If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

Comment

IUPUI president has scheduled a special announcement for Wednesday at 10:00 am which was retweeted by the athletic department probably the anticipated announcement. I think conference changes must be before July 1 to be effective for the coming year

Comment

Douple interview with Jeff Culhane Wednesday am...might be interesting

https://twitter.com/jeffculhane/status/879785781748932608

Comment

IUPUI president has scheduled a special announcement for Wednesday at 10:00 am which was retweeted by the athletic department probably the anticipated announcement. I think conference changes must be before July 1 to be effective for the coming year
                      I like visiting Indy but IUPUI's experience is deadly, including shuttle drivers that try to get you to go to Butler and fan-free basketball. At least that was my experience two years ago. Let the Horizon have 'em. Better geographical fit anyway.

I've suggested various D2 move-ups, but Central Missouri might have potential. Kansas City exurb, aging but good size arena-6500 seats, more than 14,000 students. Interesting team name and logo. Probably going to need two schools to keep membership at ten since IPFW will probably go the way of IUPUI.

Comment

Things like this happening are why it's mind boggling to me that people try to say the Summit is a great spot for us compared to leagues like the MVC. The MVC gets poached by P5 leagues, they poach leagues that poach us. Right now we are in a league that will have to try to poach teams that are super amazing like UMKC or hope to get a DII. If we ever hope to be in a league that allows us to have higher than a 14 seed it's not going to be the Summit. This conference is a revolving door. Hard to build the conference up when a team or two leaves every other year.
                        Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                          Things like this happening are why it's mind boggling to me that people try to say the Summit is a great spot for us compared to leagues like the MVC. The MVC gets poached by P5 leagues, they poach leagues that poach us. Right now we are in a league that will have to try to poach teams that are super amazing like UMKC or hope to get a DII. If we ever hope to be in a league that allows us to have higher than a 14 seed it's not going to be the Summit. This conference is a revolving door. Hard to build the conference up when a team or two leaves every other year.
                          I was thinking the same thing,not too many conferences that we (Summit) can poach their members away from them.We on the other hand are poached all the time by other conferences.The Western Athletic Conference is probably one of the conferences who we could possibly poach some of their members away from.
                          Last edited by jackdaniel; 06-28-2017, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                            I was thinking the same thing,not too many conferences that we (Summit) can poach their members away from them.We on the other hand are poached all the time by other conferences.The Western Athletic Conference is probably one of the conferences who we could possibly poach some of their members away from.
                            My take is the conference will be stronger by subtraction. Like losing Centenary and UMKC. Loosing IPFW and IUPUI in the long run I feel makes the league better. As we develop the core of the conference that will make it more attractive. We are well on the way with the Dakota schools, Denver seems a good fit, ORU if they get back to there level should help make a good core.

Making a strong stable conference is not easy. School will jump for what they feel is their best option. I don't like the idea of jumping and hoping MVC takes pity on us. I don't think people realize how strong the summit tourney is, and how good it has been to us. Until we lose the tourney from SF, or the conference has to break up, I don't see how leaving will do us any better.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              My take is the conference will be stronger by subtraction. Like losing Centenary and UMKC. Loosing IPFW and IUPUI in the long run I feel makes the league better. As we develop the core of the conference that will make it more attractive. We are well on the way with the Dakota schools, Denver seems a good fit, ORU if they get back to there level should help make a good core.

Making a strong stable conference is not easy. School will jump for what they feel is their best option. I don't like the idea of jumping and hoping MVC takes pity on us. I don't think people realize how strong the summit tourney is, and how good it has been to us. Until we lose the tourney from SF, or the conference has to break up, I don't see how leaving will do us any better.
                              Your right,I guess I new that IUPUI and FW would probably want to get further east.Might as well deal with it and replace them with better Summit members.

Comment

How many people do not think Douple has had contact with prospective members for the Summit? How many people remember all the information prior to Denver, ORU, UNO, and UND announcing joining the league? Why would you believe that Douple has not made some progress toward the situation that has evolved with IUPUI? At this time, I would believe that Douple has done a satisfactory job leading the Summit. Wait a few months or so before lighting hair on fire.
                                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                                X