Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: could Horizon be targeting IPFW?...

Originally posted by goon View Post
    My take is the conference will be stronger by subtraction. Like losing Centenary and UMKC. Loosing IPFW and IUPUI in the long run I feel makes the league better. As we develop the core of the conference that will make it more attractive. We are well on the way with the Dakota schools, Denver seems a good fit, ORU if they get back to there level should help make a good core.

Making a strong stable conference is not easy. School will jump for what they feel is their best option. I don't like the idea of jumping and hoping MVC takes pity on us. I don't think people realize how strong the summit tourney is, and how good it has been to us. Until we lose the tourney from SF, or the conference has to break up, I don't see how leaving will do us any better.
    I wonder if New Mexico State could be in play as a replacement? I doubt they are happy in the WAC. If we lose IPFW too I wouldn't mind taking a run at NMSU and GCU rather than going the UMKC route.

Northern Colorado wouldn't be a bad option either as it would give us an 6th football member should the Summit need to go on its own in the future.

Or going big could give us a 12-team league like this.

UND/NDSU
    USD/SDSU
    UNO/WIU
    UMKC/ORU
    UD/UNC
    GCU/NMSU

Interesting times for sure!

Comment

It is Douple's job to be constantly looking at the landscape out there and having a plan for keeping the conference strong. He has done a great job in my mind. There is a lot of things happening and anything is possible.

Will be interesting to here if Culhane and Douple's conversation talk about NDSU or SDSU leaving as a possibility. It is my long held belief that NDSU is looking at moving to FBS football and possibility moving up in conference as a result. What would that do to SDSU and what should the Jacks do if that is the case.

Tuning in right now to hear the interview.

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Wasn't a whole lot to report in the Douple interview. The tough thing from the Summit standpoint is that IUPUI is leaving this fall and not a year down the road. Certainly that leaves a hole in the conference schedule but nothing that can't be managed.

The schedules have been set in most sports which includes teams contracting for arenas, making travel arrangements, and other things that make it hard to make any adjustments to the conference schedules. The remaining teams will be allowed to schedule additional teams in D2 if they have to do so to fill the schedule.

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Would Mankato ever consider making the jump? Also didn't the NCAA stop letting teams jump from D2 to D1 for a certain number of years or has that since ended?

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
            It is Douple's job to be constantly looking at the landscape out there and having a plan for keeping the conference strong. He has done a great job in my mind. There is a lot of things happening and anything is possible.

Will be interesting to here if Culhane and Douple's conversation talk about NDSU or SDSU leaving as a possibility. It is my long held belief that NDSU is looking at moving to FBS football and possibility moving up in conference as a result. What would that do to SDSU and what should the Jacks do if that is the case.

Tuning in right now to hear the interview.

SUPERBUNNY
            If NDSU were to get invited to the Big 12, then they'd likely jump. Can you imagine how happy Oklahoma, Texas would be playing in the FargoDome, much less their 6500 seat Bison Arena for BB? However, the Mountain West or the MAC are not attractive options, especially what they create in all the other sports. Look what UND sports cost in Big Sky. NDSU isn't close to anything but the other Dakotas or U of Minn. And Big 10 is now Big 14, and set, so U of M isn't going looking to play in Fargo. Likewise, the FargoDome is a great FCS facility, but a small to mediocre FBS venue. NDSU ISN"T GOING ANYWHERE SOON!

Literally, the only way NDSU goes FBS, is if the whole MVFC is allowed to go FBS. IIRC, NCAA prohibited any new FBS conferences. So locked into the P5, and the other 5. Show me a significant benefit to the other 5 conferences has in making money relative to what NDSU has in the Summit/MVFC.
            Last edited by rabidrabbit; 06-28-2017, 11:22 AM. Reason: emphasize ridicule for a NDSU move up.

Comment

Originally posted by hometownjack View Post
              Would Mankato ever consider making the jump? Also didn't the NCAA stop letting teams jump from D2 to D1 for a certain number of years or has that since ended?
              Can't jump as an independent, only if invited by a D-I conference. Note that the WAC is on life support, surprised they haven't supported more D-2 schools move ups. However, there aren't many left out west, without ending up with SD TECH type schools. Which really stretches whether they'd survive in D-I, because they are struggling to fit in D-2.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                NDSU ISN"T GOING ANYWHERE SOON!

Literally, the only way NDSU goes FBS, is if the whole MVFC is allowed to go FBS.
                I agree, NDSU isn't going anywhere. I don't think you'll see major moves in FBS until the P5 inevitably goes on their own and the G5 joins with all or part of FCS.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                  Can't jump as an independent, only if invited by a D-I conference. Note that the WAC is on life support, surprised they haven't supported more D-2 schools move ups. However, there aren't many left out west, without ending up with SD TECH type schools. Which really stretches whether they'd survive in D-I, because they are struggling to fit in D-2.
                  Ran across a WAC conference forum last night. Their commish has promised a new member shortly. Talk on that Board was getting Denver back in the conference. Maybe the eastern tier of the Summit and the West Coast schools in the WAC will peel off and the cores of the two conferences will combine at some point. I knew the academics at Grand Canyon was a big turnoff for Denver but there was mention that UVU was too.

Comment

No way that DU goes back to the WAC - it is a horrible conference. The Horizon went after DU, too, but it would be a lateral or down move. My guess is UMKC will be joining the Summit League. I do not think that UNC wants to leave the Big Sky. My frustration is the short notice from IUPUI. Very poorly done in my view. We put up an article on the move here - https://letsgodu.com/2017/06/28/bush...ui/#more-53151.

Comment

I wouldn't put too much stock in the WAC forum, lots of talk and little of it centered around reality.

Comment

I still think Douple needs to talk with New Mexico St, them and Denver in the west would make a pretty good league, especially if we can dump IPFW

NDSU
                        SDSU
                        USD
                        UND
                        Omaha
                        ORU
                        DU
                        NMST
                        WIU

Would be pretty nice really
                        BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

http://www.d2messageboard.com/showth...-Summit-League

No doubt many of you are following this on the boards for the other three Dakota schools. You won't follow it on the Fort Wayne or IUPUI forums because there are none. That should tell you something. Good riddance and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

The response from some D2 posters (especially MIAA people) is a bit like North Central Conference fans twenty years ago (although I don't know if any school had forums in 1997). Move up? Why would we want to do that? Last year I do think Northwest Missouri could have been competitive in both football and basketball but the school is too small, rural and marginal to be a good fit. For years I argued that either Missouri Southern, Missouri Western or Northwest be converted to a prison since there are too many duplicative campuses in this state. You can't dis defending national champions, however.

Southern Indiana might sound interesting but it's in the Horizon footprint and can Evansville support two D1 programs? The Summit should stay west.

Comment

Anybody heard of Cal Baptist? Apparently they're supposed to join the WAC starting this year. UC-San Diego could be a target as Big West spurned UCSD's request to join. The big plum in the WAC is NMSU. The downside is their location in Southern NM puts them a long ways from any other school. It will be interesting to see how long the Aggies will go as an FBS independent. Of course, to drop to FCS, means no more home games with UNM or UTEP, their "local" rivalry schools. So happy to not be in that pathetic conference. Heck with California travel ban, maybe UT-RGV will not be allowed to host Cal-St Bakersfield in WAC sports.

Comment

Working...
                            X