Athlon Preseason Top 25 and All Americans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon Preseason Top 25 and All Americans

Posted on AGS by a knowledgeable guy, SmallCollegeFBFan, but I don't have a link to the article. Thought it would be fun to kick around on here during the summer doldrums.

1. NDSU
    2. JMU
    3. SDSU
    4. SHSU
    5. UND
    6. EWU
    7. RICHMOND
    8. VILLANOVA
    9. JSU
    10. WOFFORD
    11. UNH
    12. LEHIGH
    13. UNI
    14. YSU
    15. UTC
    16. CSU
    17. UCA
    18. SAMFORD
    19. WIU
    20. ALBANY
    21. FORDHAM
    22. CP
    23. LIBERTY
    24. MCNEESE
    25. CITADEL

All-AMERICA
    QB JEREMIAH BRISCOE, SHSU
    RB CHASE EDMONDS, FORDHAM
    RB ELIJAH IBITOKUN-HANKS, ALBANY
    FB JOE PROTHEROE, CAL POLY
    WR JUSTIN WATSON, PENN
    WR JAKE WIENEKE, SDSU
    TE DALLAS GOEDERT, SDSU
    C JACOB OHNESORGE, SDSU
    OL JUSTIN LEA, JSU
    OL BRANDON PARKER, NCAT
    OL TIMON PARRIS, STONY BROOK
    OL AARON STINNIE, JMU

DL PAT AFRIYIE, COLGATE
    DL ANTHONY ELLIS, CSU
    DL PJ HALL, SHSU
    DL DARIUS JACKSON, JSU
    LB NICK DELUCA, NDSU
    LB DARIUS LEONARD, SCSU
    LB BRETT TAYLOR, WIU
    DB MARLON BRIDGES, JSU
    DB TRE DEMPSEY, NDSU
    DB COLE REYES, UND
    DB ROB ROLLE, VILLANOVA

K LANE CLARK, TSU
    P IAN BERRYMAN, WCU
    KR JOHN SANTIAGO, UND
    PR KHRIS GARDIN, NCAT
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Re: Athlon Preseason Top 25 and All Americans

Accurate or not, seeing NDSU, SDSU, and UND in the top 5 makes me think again about all the naysayers to the move up to FCS. Glad no one listened to those folks.

Comment

They lost me with UND at 5 and UNI at 13.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksFTW View Post
        They lost me with UND at 5 and UNI at 13.
        Generally I don't make hard statements against a poll preseason, but I 100% agree here. Way too high for both, especially UNI after all their offseason turmoil.

Comment

This should be a very exciting year for the Jackrabbits. 3 Jackrabbits, all on offense, on this preseason first team All-Americans. May they and rest of team remain healthy.

I would not discount UND. IIRC, they were a young team last year, and ended tied for Big Sky title. They, like Jackrabbits, should be a top contender to defend their conference titles. I do expect UNI, YSU to be down this season in the MVFC.

If Jacks are to win the NC, this should be the season. Outstanding QB, two great receivers, and nearly the same offensive line, and RBs. Defense was weaker link last year, so they hopefully will be less of an issue than last season.

NDSU, as they have been most of my years, will be the bane of our progress. If we are to make the title game, it is likely going to require winning in Fargo, in Dec. Only way to avoid that, is to be seeded higher, and force them to play in Brookings in Dec.

Eagerly awaiting this season. With no FBS, and two likely blow-out games OOC (actually 3, unless Montana St is much improved from last year), and NDSU, UNI, IL St at home, Jacks will need to be 10-1 or undefeated to get seeded ahead of NDSU or other MVFC co-champ. Goal is to be 1-0 each week. String those W's together Jacks!

Comment

This team will go as far as TC takes them. If he can make the next step of progression and play like a Junior QB with almost 2 full years of experience (and I believe he will), there's no reason this team shouldn't be one of the favorites for a NC. Imo, the key will be defensive depth. With as quickly and as often as the offense is likely to score, the defense may end up being on the field often. This was a big problem last year, and I think the only solution is having depth at all positions.

Comment

In my opinion the team will go as far as the defense will take them. They'll score points, but it will still be difficult against NDSU. They return a lot.
              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Ooo 3 on the first team all American offense? Obnesorge's good but is he 1st team all America good?
                I agree with the thinking that we'll go as far as our defense. The offense should be able to do whatever it wants to whoever it wants as long as they're trying. And on paper the D doesn't seem like a bad defense, but are they good enough to accomplish what exactly? Like the line should be good there's a lot of talent there it seems. The secondary should be better you'd think, so solid. But man the linebackers look rough. Roseboom is good aaand who else true freshman, red shirt freshman ?

Comment

Don't give credit to any offensive line players as is the norm with fans that don't know the positions. Oline is not your glamour position so go ask all the coaches in the conference who deserves recognition.
                  Last edited by Hareofthedog; 05-22-2017, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                    Don't give credit to any offensive line players as is the norm with fans that don't know the positions. Oline is not your glamour position so go ask all the coaches in the conference who deserves recognition.
                    Lol.. Jesus you a former o guard or what? Let me text coach eck real quick brb

Comment

..... coach eck says he's the real deal. first team all America for sure.
                      but kidding aside if he's really THAT good and on the kind of level as wienke and godert then man he deserves a lot more recognition even if he is a center.

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinJackrabbit View Post
                        ..... coach eck says he's the real deal. first team all America for sure.
                        but kidding aside if he's really THAT good and on the kind of level as wienke and godert then man he deserves a lot more recognition even if he is a center.
                        Ok real fast name five O line players in the MVFC who are absolute studs. If that's easy then go nationwide, and name the best o linemen in FCS. Trouble? Shocker. O line never gets recognition because to the normal fan there is not real stat to follow or see in the story that pops out to them, and most fans follow the ball when they watch the game. HE IS THAT GOOD. Your offense doesn't put up the numbers ours did without a good offensive line, I don't understand how it's shocking to anyone that we have a AA caliber center when our offense is at the level it is.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                          Ok real fast name five O line players in the MVFC who are absolute studs. If that's easy then go nationwide, and name the best o linemen in FCS. Trouble? Shocker. O line never gets recognition because to the normal fan there is not real stat to follow or see in the story that pops out to them, and most fans follow the ball when they watch the game. HE IS THAT GOOD. Your offense doesn't put up the numbers ours did without a good offensive line, I don't understand how it's shocking to anyone that we have a AA caliber center when our offense is at the level it is.
                          Ohnesorge is star anchoring a extremely stout O-line. This group of "fat guys" has done, and hope will continue to provide good protection on pass plays, and open holes for the runners. Remember that a good part of Goedert's role is helping spring RB's by sealing corners inside or blocking outside for sweeps and reverses. Again, the fact that 3 SDSU offensive players are selected to the AA First team (pre-season) speaks volumes about the quality of the team returning.

Other teams have two on the AA list, but frequently on different areas. Only the Jacks have 3. High expectations for this upcoming season.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                            Ohnesorge is star anchoring a extremely stout O-line. This group of "fat guys" has done, and hope will continue to provide good protection on pass plays, and open holes for the runners. Remember that a good part of Goedert's role is helping spring RB's by sealing corners inside or blocking outside for sweeps and reverses. Again, the fact that 3 SDSU offensive players are selected to the AA First team (pre-season) speaks volumes about the quality of the team returning.

Other teams have two on the AA list, but frequently on different areas. Only the Jacks have 3. High expectations for this upcoming season.
                            Not to mention we have a pretty decent QB in T.C. throwing the ball around as well. Decent chance he could be All-American too.

Comment

In Ohnesorge you have an incoming 3 year starter. Not only is Jacob one of the smartest players out there he's also one of the strongest. Even being undersized he holds the team squat record, I believe at 600#'s or more. He is AA caliber and I expect he will get looks and the opportunity to prove himself again at the next level.

Comment

Working...
                              X