Elk Point Yotes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elk Point Yotes?

The last person to leave the USD campus in Vermillion should remember to turn the lights off. The state medical school, for the most part, is already in Sioux Falls. USD’s business park is in Sioux Falls. Now the law school wants out of Vermillion, too. What’s next? The football team moving to Elk Point?

From the Argus Leader (5-20-17):

USD studies potential move of law school to Sioux Falls
    Dwindling class sizes a concern for the school

The University of South Dakota will consider moving its law school from Vermillion to Sioux Falls, university officials announced Friday.
    The university will set up a task force to weigh a move and to determine what changes could increase enrollment in the school. ...
    This space for lease.

Re: Elk Point Yotes?

Apparently a need for change

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
      The last person to leave the USD campus in Vermillion should remember to turn the lights off. The state medical school, for the most part, is already in Sioux Falls. USD’s business park is in Sioux Falls. Now the law school wants out of Vermillion, too. What’s next? The football team moving to Elk Point?

This is not exactly a new concept. They did do a trial of a football game in Sioux Falls five years ago.
      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
        This is not exactly a new concept. They did do a trial of a football game in Sioux Falls five years ago.
        To be fair, so did we. 10 years or so ago, I think. We played UC Davis at Howard Wood.

Comment

Originally posted by mmiller_34 View Post
          To be fair, so did we. 10 years or so ago, I think. We played UC Davis at Howard Wood.

I forgot about that. But this is smack. Why do we have to be fair?
          Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Did the scoreboard ever recover from that game?
            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Holding an occasional football game to Sioux Falls (as SDSU and USD have each done) is not the same as moving a cornerstone university program (like a law school) to Sioux Falls. On the other hand, the University Center in Sioux Falls is going down the toilet. There's probably plenty of room for a law school there.
              This space for lease.

Comment

This needs to be watched closely by SDSU and the Board of Regents. I never will trust much that comes out that stinkhole to the south. They tried with all their might to block our D1 move. They try to undermine SDSU in every way possible. It starts at the top and flows down in Vermillion.

It all sounds innocent enough to move the med school to SF because that is where the main hospitals are. That makes sense. The USD Business Park is in SF. Well, not a lot happening in Vermillion unfortunately. Seems to make some sense. Now the law school looking into moving to SF. Hmmmmmm? May make sense on the base level as the others.

However, make no mistake, they are moving to SF for many reasons and #1 is SF is where their bread is buttered. Making everything work in Vermillion is beyond a challenge. Heck, we have our own struggles at SDSU but the struggles at USD are ten fold. So, watch this move closely. I believe it will be a little chunk here, a little chunk there. Next thing you now, BOOM! They will try and move almost everything to SF and the school in Vermillion will be either a satellite campus or repurposed for another state endeavor.

That would be a crushing blow to SDSU. It would also give a death blow to Vermillion. SF and the resources within are vital to both schools. A USD move to SF would also probably force the Summit League Tourney to move.

Things will get really interesting in the next few years. I'm on record for saying that NDSU will leave for the FBS within five years. If that happens, it leaves a real opportunity for the two SD schools to be dominant forces in the conference. A USD move to Sioux Falls could give them a really big boost.

I know this has a lot of conspiracy theory feel to it. I don't trust the leadership at USD. Have proven a lack of class at many opportunities.

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

The athletics at USD are expanding and built new facilities. Does anyone think that that the Board of Regents would ever allow USD to convert the main campus into a satellite of a new SF campus? Don't see it for the undergrad programs. But then I haven't been SD resident since I graduated, so am probably out of touch with SD politics.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                    This needs to be watched closely by SDSU and the Board of Regents. I never will trust much that comes out that stinkhole to the south. They tried with all their might to block our D1 move. They try to undermine SDSU in every way possible. It starts at the top and flows down in Vermillion.

It all sounds innocent enough to move the med school to SF because that is where the main hospitals are. That makes sense. The USD Business Park is in SF. Well, not a lot happening in Vermillion unfortunately. Seems to make some sense. Now the law school looking into moving to SF. Hmmmmmm? May make sense on the base level as the others.

However, make no mistake, they are moving to SF for many reasons and #1 is SF is where their bread is buttered. Making everything work in Vermillion is beyond a challenge. Heck, we have our own struggles at SDSU but the struggles at USD are ten fold. So, watch this move closely. I believe it will be a little chunk here, a little chunk there. Next thing you now, BOOM! They will try and move almost everything to SF and the school in Vermillion will be either a satellite campus or repurposed for another state endeavor.

That would be a crushing blow to SDSU. It would also give a death blow to Vermillion. SF and the resources within are vital to both schools. A USD move to SF would also probably force the Summit League Tourney to move.

Things will get really interesting in the next few years. I'm on record for saying that NDSU will leave for the FBS within five years. If that happens, it leaves a real opportunity for the two SD schools to be dominant forces in the conference. A USD move to Sioux Falls could give them a really big boost.

I know this has a lot of conspiracy theory feel to it. I don't trust the leadership at USD. Have proven a lack of class at many opportunities.

SUPERBUNNY
                    With the investment that USD, the BOR, and the citizens of South Dakota have made in facilities on that campus, I can almost guarantee this will not happen in the next 100 years.
                    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                      With the investment that USD, the BOR, and the citizens of South Dakota have made in facilities on that campus, I can almost guarantee this will not happen in the next 100 years.
                      Hope you are right!

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Just move the law school to SDSU. Problem solved.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                          Just move the law school to SDSU. Problem solved.
                          This!
                          Rollin' in my 5.0
                          With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                          Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
                            This!

And then the business school will want to come to Brookings too.

Comment

I know this is a smack thread etc. etc. but sometimes we have to keep an eye on actual facts: USD as an institution -- its administrators etc. -- did not try to block SDSU's move to D1. When SDSU announced it was moving up, USD stated reasons of why it was not going to move to D1 and I suppose some Jacks fans considered those comments as sideways criticism of SDSU's plan. But, officially USD didn't do anything to interfere with SDSU's plan. (I recognize many individuals who may be associated with USD were vocal in their criticism of SDSU's D1 move. There were also many SDSU loyalists who were opposed to the move.)

The med school's setup has been relatively static for many years. Don't forget SDSU's Pharmacy students take their P3 year in Sioux Falls. Been that way for a long time.

Now, there is something very unique about the proposal to move the law school to Sioux Falls. USD's med students go to Sioux Falls to finish their training after completing classwork in Vermillion. Somewhat similarly, SDSU Pharmacy students take a year of class work in Sioux Falls after completing their first four years (two undergrad and then P1 and P2) in Brookings. In the case of the law school, the discussion centered on moving the entire school to Sioux Falls. Unlike other programs that finish in Sioux Falls, the conversation about moving the law school to Sioux Falls is a serious slap in the face to the USD campus in the town of Vermillion. The move to Sioux Falls was brought up as a possible remedy for the difficulty of attracting more qualified students to the law school. It begs the question: Can highly qualified law students be attracted to Vermillion?

I don't fault the USD officials for considering all possibilities.

I share WestSideRabbit's opinion: there's just no way the law school moves to Sioux Falls. The law school facility in Vermillion in in excellent shape. There are some double-degrees students can obtain that likely would not be possible (or at least very difficult) if the law school was moved to Sioux Falls. One example: the combined JD/MBA degree. I think USD's alums would not support such a plan.

I know this has a lot of conspiracy theory feel to it....

SUPERBUNNY
                              I agree with this comment.
                              Last edited by JackJD; 05-22-2017, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X