Jacks take hold of 3rd Place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacks take hold of 3rd Place

Jackrabbit wins of 12-3 and 11-2 on Friday and Saturday, coupled with Western Illinois' two losses to NDSU, moved SDSU into 3rd place in the league, behind ORU and NDSU. WIU follows in 4th place.

The Jacks got quite a show from the Johnsons: Newt Johnson (3rd baseman) drove in 5 runs on Friday, and then on Saturday Matt Johnson (1st baseman) hit a home run to put the Jacks up 2-1 early. WIU tied the game in the 8th, and then the Jacks went on a tear in the top of the ninth, scoring 9 runs to clinch the win.

The Jacks play WIU tomorrow and then have three games at home next Thursday, Friday and Saturday against Omaha. The Summit League tourney is the following week, Wednesday through Saturday in Tulsa, OK.
    Last edited by Jacks#1Fan; 05-13-2017, 04:48 PM.

Re: Jacks take hold of 3rd Place

Just a couple corrections. The Jacks have been playing Fort Wayne, not WIU, this weekend, and a win tomorrow would mean a sweep on the season. Saturday's game was actually 10 innings, not 9, but the Jacks did score 9 in the top of the 10th to win it which is really impressive.
    Wish I could make it back to Brookings to see them next weekend and get another season sweep on a team.
    Rollin' in my 5.0
    With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
    Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Stand corrected! Anyway, Jacks complete the sweep against Ft. Wayne with a 10-5 win today. Their win on Saturday clinched the playoff for them. Play three with Omaha in Brookings next week (Thursday-Saturday). NDSU has clinched second and will play Ft. Wayne next week, while WIU plays ORU in McComb. I believe the combination of one ORU win and one SDSU win would assure the Jacks of a third place finish (it might not take even that, since WIU played two fewer conference games). That would put first-round tournament games at SDSU vs. NDSU, and WIU vs. ORU.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
        Stand corrected! Anyway, Jacks complete the sweep against Ft. Wayne with a 10-5 win today. Their win on Saturday clinched the playoff for them. Play three with Omaha in Brookings next week (Thursday-Saturday). NDSU has clinched second and will play Ft. Wayne next week, while WIU plays ORU in McComb. I believe the combination of one ORU win and one SDSU win would assure the Jacks of a third place finish (it might not take even that, since WIU played two fewer conference games). That would put first-round tournament games at SDSU vs. NDSU, and WIU vs. ORU.
        Thanks for the updates, and one little error does no damage as far as I am concerned.

Comment

Do the Jacks fly or bus to Ft Wayne? Looks like a happy 12 hour bus ride if that is the case. Go Jacks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
            Do the Jacks fly or bus to Ft Wayne? Looks like a happy 12 hour bus ride if that is the case. Go Jacks!!
            It would surprise me if they bused out FW, but we don't have a big baseball budget.

Comment

Have always bused to FW in the past. Can't say what they did this year.

Comment

There is a 0% chance they flew to Fort Wayne. Used to bus to centenary...

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post
                  There is a 0% chance they flew to Fort Wayne. Used to bus to centenary...
                  I am surprised.

Comment

Worst I'm aware of was busing to Washington State.

Comment

After the sweep of Omaha yesterday the Rabbits enter the conference tournament on an eight game winning streak. The Rabbits will open the tournament vs NDSU. It's going to be a tall task to win the tournament at ORU's home field but that's why you play the games.

Go Rabbits!

Comment

Working...
                      X