GDT: Spring Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: Spring Game

Figured I'd start a game day thread on this one. Listening to it on the radio myself, as I am unable to attend. Anyone viewing live, please feel free to chime in and share your opinion of the happenings in the game.

First quarter ended with a 14-6 score, 1st Team D/ 2nd Team D is leading.

Washington picked off TC to set up the first TD with Mikey Daniel finishing the drive with a couple of nice runs.

First team O comes back with a long drive capped with a Wieneke TD (missed x-point by backup kicker Wolf).

2nd Team O then comes back and complete a bomb for a TD to Skyler Monaghan (transfer from Northern Illinios), who isn't even listed on the official roster.
    Last edited by Kemo; 04-22-2017, 10:05 AM.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Re: GDT: Spring Game

At the Half, 1st Team D/2nd Team O (Rabbits) leads 1st Team O/2nd Team (Jacks) D 17-13.

Mikey Daniel had another TD, this time for 1st Team O. Vinatieri missed a 49 yard FG. Wieneke probably has 100 yards receiving already and Jacob Brown sounds like he's making some nice plays as well. Kleinschmit getting in on a lot of tackles.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

Uneventful 3rd quarter. The score remains 17-13.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

4th quarter ends with a TD for each team, leading to a victory for 24-20 Rabbits over the Jacks.

Jacks took the lead with a TD (didn't hear who it was by as I left the room for a bit).

CJ Roths ran in the TD that led to the win for the Rabbits. Roths had a nice day overall.

Jacks did run the 2 minute drill with Nelson at QB and made it interesting at the end on the final play, but the tipped pass ended up just out of the reach of Aaron Anderson.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

Crowd size?

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
            Crowd size?
            Several less than a sellout

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              Several less than a sellout
              I still thought it was a good crowd for a spring game. Beautiful day for football (baseball and softball, too), and I really preferred this version of play over their offense vs defense games of the past. A bit more exciting and a little easier to follow. Next year, they need to let the players hold a draft to create their own teams for the spring game; make it really fun for the players.
              Rollin' in my 5.0
              With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
              Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Some quick thoughts...

- What a beautiful day, and a pretty nice crowd

- Wieneke is unfreaking real

- Both sides of the ball, and both 1st and 2nd teams were real physical

- The DE's owned the Tackles for most the game

- The RB's looked good, I really wanted to see Tolu and Mulholland, but I don't think they dressed

- Both coach Johnson and Arnheim's charisma really showed throughout the entire day on the sidelines

Comment

Here are a couple different highlight videos...https://twitter.com/GoJacksFB/status/855926781357957120

Comment

I really liked the format. It was first-team offense and second-team defense vs.first-team defense and second- offense. It gave players on the first units the opportunity to play with each other against good competition in game-like conditions. I don't think a draft would provide much real practice value.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Nelson has a good throwing arm.

Comment

Jake Weineke looked really good, as usual. Mikey Daniel looked good, too. Depth on defense could be a concern, at least until a couple of incoming freshmen step up.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                          Jake Weineke looked really good, as usual. Mikey Daniel looked good, too. Depth on defense could be a concern, at least until a couple of incoming freshmen step up.
                          Daniel seemed to show promise at times last year. I was curious about where he might factor in with Ogunrinde and Mulholland getting more recent media mentions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                            I really liked the format. It was first-team offense and second-team defense vs.first-team defense and second- offense. It gave players on the first units the opportunity to play with each other against good competition in game-like conditions. I don't think a draft would provide much real practice value.
                            Interesting idea regarding the draft. It might be neat if they could involve students and/or faculty in that to help counter the narrative that athletics spending and education are in conflict.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                              Here are a couple different highlight videos...https://twitter.com/GoJacksFB/status/855926781357957120

Thanks for the link. Anyone else a fan of trying to include the center stripes into at least one version of the helmet during the season; perhaps the Military Appreciation game?

Comment

Working...
                              X