Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid Major blues at Robert Morris

https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/ada...sfer-epidemic/
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Re: Mid Major blues at Robert Morris

Lets hope we are not featured in that story after next year.

Comment

If this trend continues, the days of mid-major programs red-shirting players may be over, unless necessary because of injuries.

Comment

A couple of years of this happening to star players on "my" team would make me lose interest in the sport real quick. The Jacks sure benefited from graduate transfers last season but I'd love to see the rule get changed. Mid-majors are at enough of a disadvantage between the scheduling challenges and lack of at-large tournament selections.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          If this trend continues, the days of mid-major programs red-shirting players may be over, unless necessary because of injuries.
          Or the opposite. Once you redshirt, the only way you are transferring (aside from medical or rare family reasons) without losing a year of eligibility is: A) Transferring down in division, or B) being eligible as a grad transfer. Had Daum not redshirted, his ability to transfer and sit, without losing a year, would have been a lot hotter topic...
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            I'm not sure that would be a bad thing. Teams are built in an entirely different way now than they were 10 years ago. Coaches are expected to win Now not later.

Comment

Controversial take: I think all players should be able to transfer wherever they want without any sitting out or anything.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                Controversial take: I think all players should be able to transfer wherever they want without any sitting out or anything.
                They would never have to eat vegetables...

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                  A couple of years of this happening to star players on "my" team would make me lose interest in the sport real quick.
                  I completely agree. That's part of the reason why I love mid major sports so much, because you can watch players like Zenner, Wolters, Wieneke, Goedert, and Daum for 4 years without worrying about them jump ship to go to a higher level, or even to the pros.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                    I completely agree. That's part of the reason why I love mid major sports so much, because you can watch players like Zenner, Wolters, Wieneke, Goedert, and Daum for 4 years without worrying about them jump ship to go to a higher level, or even to the pros.
                    Careful...
                    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                      Careful...
                      Honestly, I don't see it. What would be the benefit? If he would transfer, it had better be a top tier program, and if he does that he won't be the star and might not even start on some of them. If he stays at SDSU and racks up stats, he'll get drafted and get his shot, just like he would if he transferred.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                        Honestly, I don't see it. What would be the benefit? If he would transfer, it had better be a top tier program, and if he does that he won't be the star and might not even start on some of them. If he stays at SDSU and racks up stats, he'll get drafted and get his shot, just like he would if he transferred.
                        He won't transfer...but another monster year and an agent 'promising' that you'll be a 1st round pick if you declare...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                          He won't transfer...but another monster year and an agent 'promising' that you'll be a 1st round pick if you declare...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                          I feel like he's smart enough to realize that he's still got plenty to work on and that any 'promising' would be false. If he came out now, I don't know if he even gets drafted. Another big year and he could probably secure a draft spot, but at that point you might as well finish it out and secure an education.

Comment

To me the biggest worry is having him leave as a grad transfer after his 4th year at SDSU (leaving 1 year of eligibility left) - which is very possible. That is the downfall of red-shirting players now. You are guarded that they lose a year of eligibility if they transfer during their career as stated above. But it gives them a year head start academically which means they are more likely in a position to graduate and transfer.

Comment

So . . . playing and winning the "play-in" game . . . good thing for Robert Morris, or bad thing for Robert Morris?
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X