• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scott Sutton Fired

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
    Best wishes to Coach Sutton.

He'll find a job somewhere.

Surprised by the timing of this. If they wanted to remove him... figured they would have done that earlier.

Wonder who they will be able to bring in?
    With the way the fired him and some of the recruiting restrictions in place, finding a good replacement might be difficult for them.

Not sure a school could handle a firing any worse.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
      They are a mess. Look at what their Prez requires when it comes to recruiting

@DougGottieb

"Couple OK HS coaches told me #ORU's @WilsonBilly (Prez) instituted policy- No visible tattoos on recruits & must score > 8 on "faith" exam"

Yikes.
      If this was the case then he should have left on his own accord after these restrictions were put in place. Easier said than done and maybe he tried in the past few years.

Comment

@DougGottieb

"Couple OK HS coaches told me #ORU's @WilsonBilly (Prez) instituted policy- No visible tattoos on recruits & must score > 8 on "faith" exam"

Yikes.
        Scoring 8 on faith exam seems easy enough if you know their god talk and you are looking for free education.

Comment

@DougGottieb

Yikes.
          What if its a Jesus Tat that's visible?????
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            What if its a Jesus Tat that's visible?????
            The tattoo thing seems really dumb. It's stereotyping. The faith thing doesn't IMO. It's a faith based school If they want to get kids that share their beliefs that's their right.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              The tattoo thing seems really dumb. It's stereotyping. The faith thing doesn't IMO. It's a faith based school If they want to get kids that share their beliefs that's their right.
              How is that stereotyping? Standards for physical appearance are fairly common.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                One scenario on the ORU board is that Sutton was told his brother Sean had to go, and that he refused to comply. Which I can understand Scott not wanting to do - when ORU played in Frost, it looked to me like Sean was doing a lot of the coaching while Scott sat back with kind of a dazed look. I think Sean would have been coaching at a much higher level than assistant at ORU if he wouldn't have had the substance abuse issues while at Oklahoma State.
                His attitude has not been good for quite awhile, IMO.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

ORU is a dumpster fire at this point! Will need some divine intervention to become relevant. Scott has proven to be a good guy and a solid coach. He was handcuffed.

Look at it from our point of view in the last year. Imagine having to replace Nagy and tell the new coach that the recruits can't have visible tattoos and must pass the faith test with an 8 or more. But we really want you to be our coach. How fast would someone in TJ's shoes run from that?

What is the faith test btw?

Really a sad situation for the conference. Whomever said they should move to D2 is probably spot on. Bringing ND in looks smarter by the day!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    How is that stereotyping? Standards for physical appearance are fairly common.
                    In basketball?

It's common for people to see someone covered in tattoos and just assume they are a thug, gang banger, felon, whatever...

http://www.debate.org/opinions/are-t...-united-states
                    https://rampages.us/browningnc/2015/...es-of-tattoos/

Comment

What a complete mess...I can't imagine having a school administrator behave like that, I realize they are a private school but you can't run a DI athletics department like this...

Another local product, Booker T. Washington’s Korey Billbury, who played at ORU from 2012 to 2015, sounded off on Sutton’s release.

“He was always a good person to us,” Billbury said. “He was tough and demanding, but he always gave us his best as well. I appreciate him for giving me my first Division I offer I ever had. I can’t ever repay him for that. He didn’t deserve to find out the way he did. They tied his hands with recruiting. There was nothing more he could do with what they gave him. His track records before the new president came proved that he could win and bring in talent.

“That job will be a task to be successful in as long as the president is judging players before he even meets them.”

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...d505e6b15.html

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

What is the faith test btw?
                        A very good question. With a theology that is very ideological bent to it, saying you believe in the Pope will be a deep sixer of answer and a final score of minus 55.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                          What a complete mess...I can't imagine having a school administrator behave like that, I realize they are a private school but you can't run a DI athletics department like this...

Another local product, Booker T. Washington’s Korey Billbury, who played at ORU from 2012 to 2015, sounded off on Sutton’s release.

“He was always a good person to us,” Billbury said. “He was tough and demanding, but he always gave us his best as well. I appreciate him for giving me my first Division I offer I ever had. I can’t ever repay him for that. He didn’t deserve to find out the way he did. They tied his hands with recruiting. There was nothing more he could do with what they gave him. His track records before the new president came proved that he could win and bring in talent.

“That job will be a task to be successful in as long as the president is judging players before he even meets them.”

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...d505e6b15.html
                          Maybe the most relieved person is Scott Sutton, when you are not wanted, there no hope in staying around. With Billy boy as the president, I suspect they will not have to make the trip to SF for one and done.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            In basketball?

It's common for people to see someone covered in tattoos and just assume they are a thug, gang banger, felon, whatever...

http://www.debate.org/opinions/are-t...-united-states
                            https://rampages.us/browningnc/2015/...es-of-tattoos/
                            Some people say stereotypes exist for a reason...

Are you saying that ORU is concerned their basketball program will recruit thugs, gang bangers, and felons? Or are you saying ORU is concerned with the perception of their university and basketball program?

The first seems pretty ridiculous, the second seems like a reasonable concern of almost any organization. Especially an organization that relies on private donations for funding...

If true, the restrictions make the coaches jobe [much] more difficult. That's it, IMO.

Comment

Edited because I don't feel like getting into an internet argument.
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                                Some people say stereotypes exist for a reason...

Are you saying that ORU is concerned their basketball program will recruit thugs, gang bangers, and felons? Or are you saying ORU is concerned with the perception of their university and basketball program?

The first seems pretty ridiculous, the second seems like a reasonable concern of almost any organization. Especially an organization that relies on private donations for funding...

If true, the restrictions make the coaches jobe [much] more difficult. That's it, IMO.
                                I don't know much about ORU, but if they're asking recruits to pass a "faith test" and are as hardcore of a Christian University as it looks like they are, my guess is that the tattoo ban is likely tied to scripture and desecration of the body rather then being in place to not recruit "thugs". That's what I initially thought of it anyways.

Comment

Working...
                                X