Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 Spring Football

Originally posted by Jack_IL View Post
    Being in the shotgun can help dictate linebacker alignment based on the side the back is aligned/shifts too. Can create better angles for certain run concepts. Also being under center takes away majority (if not all) of the possibilities for QB run which allows defenses to play faster without that threat. With Taryn I think we would be making a huge mistake constantly being under center, it was much different with 6-Ball at QB a few years ago. Personally I love it, more possibilities for a defense to prepare for.

I love the depth at RB that could prove important especially with teams focused on our passing threats next season. Losing Harms concerns me, we may have some young LB's next year who may go through some growing pains early in the season.
    Still I am very optimistic about next season!
    Great insight, thanks! My concern, albeit unfounded, is on short yardage and how slow the play develops. I think that was the problem with the safety we surrendered in Fargo, also I believe being a counter didn't help. But if being in shotgun full time builds consistency with the line and everything else, wonderful.

We are going to be very young at LB and may even see incoming FR contributing. The longer camp should give them some time to learn more, a few are physically ready to be out there I think. Mentally this should help catch them up. It also sounds like many will be in Brookings this summer for workouts as well. I also see a couple of the incoming DL as being able to play immediately too.

Is it August 31st yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_IL View Post
      Being in the shotgun can help dictate linebacker alignment based on the side the back is aligned/shifts too. Can create better angles for certain run concepts. Also being under center takes away majority (if not all) of the possibilities for QB run which allows defenses to play faster without that threat. With Taryn I think we would be making a huge mistake constantly being under center, it was much different with 6-Ball at QB a few years ago. Personally I love it, more possibilities for a defense to prepare for.

I love the depth at RB that could prove important especially with teams focused on our passing threats next season. Losing Harms concerns me, we may have some young LB's next year who may go through some growing pains early in the season.
      Still I am very optimistic about next season!
      It certainly doesn't eliminate them all. NDSU has QB runs from under center. I seem to remember several bootlegs with Stick last year.

I'd like to at least see a package with TC under center for short yardage situations. It might just be perception but we seemed to struggle last year on 3rd/4th and short.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        It certainly doesn't eliminate them all. NDSU has QB runs from under center. I seem to remember several bootlegs with Stick last year.

I'd like to at least see a package with TC under center for short yardage situations. It might just be perception but we seemed to struggle last year on 3rd/4th and short.
        Here's a little reality to compare to your perception. Last year, SDSU converted on 6 out of 15 - fourth down conversions. At 40%, we tied for 90th out of 122 FCS teams. Only Illinois State (25%) and Missouri State (33%) were worse that the Rabbits in the MVFC. UNI (67%), NDSU (62%), WIU (59%) and USD (57%) were all ranked in the top 50.

The NCAA does not have statistics on third and short, but SDSU did very well on third down overall at 46%. That ranked us at third in the MVFC and 13th nationally. No doubt, we'd love to be more effective in short yardage situations, but our offense was highly effective last year.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
          Here's a little reality to compare to your perception. Last year, SDSU converted on 6 out of 15 - fourth down conversions. At 40%, we tied for 90th out of 122 FCS teams. Only Illinois State (25%) and Missouri State (33%) were worse that the Rabbits in the MVFC. UNI (67%), NDSU (62%), WIU (59%) and USD (57%) were all ranked in the top 50.

The NCAA does not have statistics on third and short, but SDSU did very well on third down overall at 46%. That ranked us at third in the MVFC and 13th nationally. No doubt, we'd love to be more effective in short yardage situations, but our offense was highly effective last year.
          I guess my perception wasn't too far off. We were far from great on 4th down. I don't know how much can be attributed to the shotgun approach though.

As far as the offense and efficiency I don't think our offense was particularly impressive late in the year.

Comment

I wonder where the team would rank if they took out the Dakota Marker game from last year where they went for it on every fourth down (you know, the one they never punted in.) So many fourth downs that the Jacks didn't convert that might not have even been taken if they didn't want to win the Marker so badly.
            Rollin' in my 5.0
            With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
            Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
              I wonder where the team would rank if they took out the Dakota Marker game from last year where they went for it on every fourth down (you know, the one they never punted in.) So many fourth downs that the Jacks didn't convert that might not have even been taken if they didn't want to win the Marker so badly.
              We didn't convert around 3 or 4 times in the marker game. If we take 4 away there we're at 6 for 11, 54.5%. While an improvement, not stunningly so...convert 2 of those it improves it there as well. From what I remember, a couple of those 4th downs we missed were less than a yard. I like when we play aggressive like that. Let's do the same on defense now.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                I guess my perception wasn't too far off. We were far from great on 4th down. I don't know how much can be attributed to the shotgun approach though.

As far as the offense and efficiency I don't think our offense was particularly impressive late in the year.
                If you run the 1-3 downs effectively,you don't need the fourth down.Really don't like a lot of 4th down plays for the season.There always seems to be one down that gets nothing or loses yardage.Work towards eliminating that ,and the rest works out just fine.The Bison approach I call it.

Comment

It seems we never heard count on 4th and or 3rd. Why not? Communist football?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=slosho;314205]It seems we never heard count on 4th and or 3rd. Why not? Communist football?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk[/Iii

I believe it may be due to the fact it's difficult to clap a "hard count", but maybe I'm incorrect.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jackedforlife;314208]
                      Originally posted by slosho View Post
                      It seems we never heard count on 4th and or 3rd. Why not? Communist football?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk[/Iii

I believe it may be due to the fact it's difficult to clap a "hard count", but maybe I'm incorrect.
                      Duh. Sorry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X