2017 Spring Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Spring Football

The short film clips are arriving for the team reviews.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DatJ...FjoyNzAzMjAxNw
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Re: 2017 Spring Football

Spring football practice five tomorrow. This fan forum is probably the least interested in spring ball group of football fans compared to other MVC teams. I realize its spring but let's talk football.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
      Spring football practice five tomorrow. This fan forum is probably the least interested in spring ball group of football fans compared to other MVC teams. I realize its spring but let's talk football.
      You want us to discuss more abou Spring Football but you don't want us to discuss potential depth chart until the fall. You are a difficult poster to figure out.

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
      Wait for Fall ball to establish 2017 roster as it is way too soon for the depth chart. You have players leaving football now, before Fall ball, suspensions and surprise performances (Spring or Fall ball) which will definitely change the chart.

Comment

That is correct. It will take Spring ball, summer off season and Fall ball to determine a true depth chart. The coaches are moving players around to find positions and make the team better. You will have possible new additions in the Fall. A couple of players may not come back to play after summer. Injuries will be a factor. Grades, suspensions and the law will be a factor on who's available for the season. Go ahead andtalk depth chart.

How about talking what the new run game coordinator might mean for rushing the ball? How will no two a day practices change the process of getting the Jacks ready? Many other football topics for the Jacks as well.

Comment

Who does everyone think will start at QB? Lujan? TC? TOB?
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
            Who does everyone think will start at QB? Lujan? TC? TOB?
            Dark horse... Ryan Berry.
            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
              Dark horse... Ryan Berry.
              Nah, Andy Kardoes

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                Nah, Andy Kardoes
                I heard we were rolling out a new, quarterback-less system this year.
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

In all seriousness. I'm very interested to see how our Defensive Backs shake out. I know this is hypothetical but we could have been walking into this year with our top three CB's being Trey Carr, Shak Taylor, and Jordan Brown.

We return the three who played a majority of the snaps last year (Brown, Anthony Washington, Zy Mosley). However, all three were absolutely torched at times last year. We also had a highly touted group of CB's who red-shirted last year (Manchigiah, Gardner, Harris, McGary, and Berg) and not to mention Malik Lofton one of our top recruits this year. I really hope a couple of the red-shirts are ready to step in and play and their redshirt year was more for physical development and not as much for mental maturation and scheme understanding. I'll guess we'll see!

I think part of the problem with the CB's last season may have been poor safety play as well. Mears was not the same player last year and the other three (Farina, Balster, and Slade) each have deficiencies that seem to pop up. Farina, consistency/mental lapses. Balster, make-up speed. Slade, poor tackling angles. However, all three have played a lot of snaps for us and I'm hoping for some growth. If not, I would hope we would give Alex Romensko, Brandon Thomas, or Zo Williams a shot.

Comment

In all seriousness. I'm very interested to see how our Defensive Backs shake out. I know this is hypothetical but we could have been walking into this year with our top three CB's being Trey Carr, Shak Taylor, and Jordan Brown.

We return the three who played a majority of the snaps last year (Brown, Anthony Washington, Zy Mosley). However, all three were absolutely torched at times last year. We also had a highly touted group of CB's who red-shirted last year (Manchigiah, Gardner, Harris, McGary, and Berg) and not to mention Malik Lofton one of our top recruits this year. I really hope a couple of the red-shirts are ready to step in and play and their redshirt year was more for physical development and not as much for mental maturation and scheme understanding. I'll guess we'll see!

I think part of the problem with the CB's last season may have been poor safety play as well. Mears was not the same player last year and the other three (Farina, Balster, and Slade) each have deficiencies that seem to pop up. Farina, consistency/mental lapses. Balster, make-up speed. Slade, poor tackling angles. However, all three have played a lot of snaps for us and I'm hoping for some growth. If not, I would hope we would give Alex Romensko, Brandon Thomas, or Zo Williams a shot.
                    Some of the reason they struggled as well was just lack of experience. That and our general lack of a big time pass rusher. I'm interested in how the defense is going to do as a whole. You can probably contribute some of the defensive struggles last year to how our offensive style changed, but getting off the field on 3rd down was just atrocious. If we can get the defense playing well and getting off the field we should be really, really good this year.

Defense is going to need to have guys step up all over the place, but I'm most interested in our defensive line tbh. Need that to be strong, especially against teams like NDSU. Not allowing opposing teams to control the game running the ball will be huge. I would rather teams pass well against us than run the ball at will with our offense that's returning. We will be capable of winning shootouts pretty regularly, and every team we play will want to keep our offense on the sidelines. Stopping that from happening starts up front. Need a couple of DTs to step up big time and need someone to emerge as a potent pass rusher on the edge. Hard to move the ball when you don't get time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                      Some of the reason they struggled as well was just lack of experience. That and our general lack of a big time pass rusher. I'm interested in how the defense is going to do as a whole. You can probably contribute some of the defensive struggles last year to how our offensive style changed, but getting off the field on 3rd down was just atrocious. If we can get the defense playing well and getting off the field we should be really, really good this year.

Defense is going to need to have guys step up all over the place, but I'm most interested in our defensive line tbh. Need that to be strong, especially against teams like NDSU. Not allowing opposing teams to control the game running the ball will be huge. I would rather teams pass well against us than run the ball at will with our offense that's returning. We will be capable of winning shootouts pretty regularly, and every team we play will want to keep our offense on the sidelines. Stopping that from happening starts up front. Need a couple of DTs to step up big time and need someone to emerge as a potent pass rusher on the edge. Hard to move the ball when you don't get time.

That is true. We have to be able to generate a pass rush. I hope Kern and Elijah Wilson can do that. I don't see Earith ever being that guy. The last true pass rusher we had was JT Hassel his freshman year and that was from the OLB position. Do you think this is more about scheme than personnel?

Comment

That is true. We have to be able to generate a pass rush. I hope Kern and Elijah Wilson can do that. I don't see Earith ever being that guy. The last true pass rusher we had was JT Hassel his freshman year and that was from the OLB position. Do you think this is more about scheme than personnel?
                        Don't sleep on the freshman Callender from AZ either. I think he could play right away and provide some help at the DE position.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                          Don't sleep on the freshman Callender from AZ either. I think he could play right away and provide some help at the DE position.
                          Didn't he have something like 23 sacks his senior year of hs?

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                            I'm curious about him too. I'd hope he'd be able to play in pass rush situational duty next year. I'd be really impressed if he showed up and was ready to play all three downs.

Comment

He's listed 6'6" 235 lb on Gojacks.com roster.

If he can put on another 10-15 pounds of muscle during summer it seems he'd have the size to play DE as a freshman.

Comment

Working...
                              X