Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
    Rumors swirling that Omaha bombed their campus visit, not sure how a school manages to do that but apparently it can happen. Seems like Milwaukee has entrenched itself as being #12 if the Valley chooses to move in that direction.

I wonder if the Summit could take a run at GB, with Milwaukee going they would be kind of isolated in a conference that is kind of losing its luster.
    That'd be a home run for women's basketball.

Comment

GB would be a nice addition for women's basketball, and doesn't have football to muddle up that picture. Only problem is no logical travel partner, as closest school would be Western Illinois at ~400 miles and a 6 hour drive.

Another thought that has crossed my mind, is if we could pry Arkansas-Little Rock away from the Sunbelt. They also have a good women's program, don't have football, and would make a decent travel partner with ORU (4 hr drive). Then could go after New Mexico St. (FBS Sunbelt, WAC Basketball) to partner with Denver. Arkansas State is another possibility as they are FBS football in Sunbelt if we could get them and Little Rock.

Interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
        GB would be a nice addition for women's basketball, and doesn't have football to muddle up that picture. Only problem is no logical travel partner, as closest school would be Western Illinois at ~400 miles and a 6 hour drive.

Another thought that has crossed my mind, is if we could pry Arkansas-Little Rock away from the Sunbelt. They also have a good women's program, don't have football, and would make a decent travel partner with ORU (4 hr drive). Then could go after New Mexico St. (FBS Sunbelt, WAC Basketball) to partner with Denver. Arkansas State is another possibility as they are FBS football in Sunbelt if we could get them and Little Rock.

Interesting times!
        UIC would be a good travel partner for the Phoenix. Have good facilities, including a great baseball field. Summit League HQ are in Chicago.
        USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
          On Grand Canyon in Phoenix,lots of snowbirds there from SD I suspect.Nice weather.They are a progressive up and coming transition school much like SDSU was.I'd go for them in the Summit. Sioux Falls has Allegiant airlines direct flights from SF to Phoenix,very fast trip.The schedule of flights is somewhat limited though.I think it's OK to have maybe one game out a ways during the conference season.How bout that market.eh!!!....j/k. I didn't know the WAC conference has their own digital network,surprising.
          I live in Arizona, Grand Canyon has a nice arena, solid attendance (rowdy crowd), its a pretty big name in the state, and they get media attention. They also have baseball. And its an easy city to fly to. Its not SUU by any means. They are going to be pretty damn good in basketball as well.

If you could get them and NMSU, that'd be way better than the Montana schools.

Even if you don't lose anyone I think the Summit should try to get to at least 12 schools.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            I live in Arizona, Grand Canyon has a nice arena, solid attendance (rowdy crowd), its a pretty big name in the state, and they get media attention. They also have baseball. And its an easy city to fly to. Its not SUU by any means. They are going to be pretty damn good in basketball as well.

If you could get them and NMSU, that'd be way better than the Montana schools.

Even if you don't lose anyone I think the Summit should try to get to at least 12 schools.
            Agree,there is some truth in the old adage "there's strength in numbers",at least it provides some hedging against future conference realignments.Here's a good article how their effort to go non-profit was blocked,interesting read.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
              Agree,there is some truth in the old adage "there's strength in numbers",at least it provides some hedging against future conference realignments.Here's a good article how their effort to go non-profit was blocked,interesting read.
              When it was announced they were going D-I, I read about them and they sounded like University of Phoenix who had a real campus, but its way more than that. Just because they are in the WAC doesn't mean they are a joke, many in the local media expect them to end up in the Big Sky eventually.

Comment

Looks like "Valley watch" is about to be over...

Mark Adams‏
                @EnthusiAdams

Source confirms @valpoathletics likely to replace Wichita St as 10th member of The Valley. Valpo probable only addition. No vote/invite yet.
                https://twitter.com/EnthusiAdams/sta...33781803069440

Comment

Private schools might have influenced this choice too. There will be no effect on the MVFC side.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

There is a lot of drama going on. Murray State AD is discrediting the tweet referenced above and tweeting that no decision has been made and no vote taken. Will be interesting to see what develops over the next couple of days.

Comment

I believe the Valley meets tomorrow to vote. Hopefully offers go out Tuesday.

From what I have been reading the Horizon will react pretty quickly to any possible losses and whether they want to expand at this time. They had talked of expansion back in December, but this may throw a monkey wrench in things. It will be nice to know what the Summit is up against and if we have to find replacements.

Best case scenario is the Valley only takes Valpo and the Horizon responds with Robert Morris....but I don't think it will be quite that simple.

Comment

I have read in the past that the Horizon might be interested in Robert Morris, but Robert Morris only completes in 3 sports that the Valley sponsors. That would seem to be a hangup.

Comment

Valpo is the only one going to the MVC so now it is time to watch what the Horizon will do.

Comment

Working...
                          X