Wichita State Leaving MVC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

The MVC of ten years ago: Sign me up (obviously)!
    The MVC that will likely exist 10 years from now: Not with what we have going in the Summit.

The reputation that Creighton and WSU are largely responsible will only carry the MVC so far. They were a meal ticket for everyone else. There are obviously some other good MBB programs but will they be able to sustain that level long term as the conference slides closer to the rest of the mid-major pack?

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
      The SL tourney being in SF will have little to no bearing if we get an invite. That's a small piece in a very big picture when it comes to conference affiliation. If any Summit school gets an invite it is gonna be really hard to turn it down. The competive edge of a conference tourney in SF is quickly offset by the potential of multi bids of MVC depending on who they bring in to replace WSU.
      The multi bid did not materialize for Illinois St this year following a solid season. Multi bid must need another name to qualify from the MVC. Wichita State leaves and the notion of multi bid becomes as difficult for the MVC. The MVC teams of 40-50 years ago kept the bucket full for the MVC. Drake was even competitive then. As WSU joins Creighton in an exit from the MVC, television money may become a smaller stream going forward. How much more likely do you expect home game attendance to increase with a move to a new conference? I do not know the criteria used to evaluate a conference move. Although the multi bid approach may not carry much water if we look at this year's Illinois State situation.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
        The MVC of ten years ago: Sign me up (obviously)!
        The MVC that will likely exist 10 years from now: Not with what we have going in the Summit.

The reputation that Creighton and WSU are largely responsible will only carry the MVC so far. They were a meal ticket for everyone else. There are obviously some other good MBB programs but will they be able to sustain that level long term as the conference slides closer to the rest of the mid-major pack?
        Seems that people forget about UNI. When they make it to the tournament, they seem to always scare a higher seed. Last year they did flop at the end of the TA&M game, otherwise they would have been in the sweet 16.

WSU did the MVC well with the #1 seed, but they aren't the only team there (at least historically).
        Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
        -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

If Wichita State leaves, I have to think UMKC and Omaha are at the top of the list for prospective members. I have to think either of those would be a bitter pill for many MVC schools. My impression is that they have an inflated sense of their own importance in the college basketball world. Adding a terrible UMKC program or barely-out-of-transition alphabet soup school would be humbling/humiliating.

I hope Mr Douple is actively working to bring a MVC school into the Summit. I think/hope that is a real possibility. He has proven VERY nimble at navigating these waters and has pretty much come out on the winning end every time conference membership issues come up.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I really don't see the attractiveness of the MVC if Wichita State leaves. I think our attendance would take a hit, depending on if anyone else from the Summit was invited along with us.

Outside of UNI, there really isn't that much name power in the conference anymore if WSU leaves.

Why give up rivalry games against USD and NDSU to play Bradley and Evansville instead? I realize that IUPUI and IPFW aren't attractive, but at least they are offset by having our historical rivals in the conference.

Travel costs would also go up, as we would be replacing close games with UND/NDSU/USD/UNO to travel more to Missouri/Illinois/Indiana. Other than Drake and UNI, the rest of the league would be a flight.

Finally, Summit League Tourney is in our back yard and is a big advantage for us making the tourney. Why give that up?

Comment

We are not leaving the Summit. IUPUI is perhaps the best option for them followed by IPFW. Western may make sense but I think the two Indiana schools jump ship before Western.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                We are not leaving the Summit. IUPUI is perhaps the best option for them followed by IPFW. Western may make sense but I think the two Indiana schools jump ship before Western.
                I agree. SDSU/NDSU will be a package deal if any movement happens in the future.

Comment

A realignment of MVC and Summit schools (IMHO) should be on the agenda for both leagues if the WSU move becomes reality.

Such as: IUPUI and Ft. Wayne to MVC and Northern Iowa and Missouri State to the Summit. UNI-WIU and MSU-ORU are eminently viable travel partners, and MSU (especially) would suddenly become a geographic outlier in the Valley if WSU bolts.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    A realignment of MVC and Summit schools (IMHO) should be on the agenda for both leagues if the WSU move becomes reality.

Such as: IUPUI and Ft. Wayne to MVC and Northern Iowa and Missouri State to the Summit. UNI-WIU and MSU-ORU are eminently viable travel partners, and MSU (especially) would suddenly become a geographic outlier in the Valley if WSU bolts.
                    Your UNI/MSU idea is good, but the problem is what does the MVC do with Drake on its island then?

It would also be a bit comical that the MVC would not have a single team in the actual Missouri Valley anymore then.

Maybe the leagues could just swap names to clear that up?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                      Your UNI/MSU idea is good, but the problem is what does the MVC do with Drake on its island then?

It would also be a bit comical that the MVC would not have a single team in the actual Missouri Valley anymore then.

Maybe the leagues could just swap names to clear that up?
                      Yeah, I forgot about Drake. Oops.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                        If Wichita State leaves, I have to think UMKC and Omaha are at the top of the list for prospective members. I have to think either of those would be a bitter pill for many MVC schools. My impression is that they have an inflated sense of their own importance in the college basketball world. Adding a terrible UMKC program or barely-out-of-transition alphabet soup school would be humbling/humiliating.

I hope Mr Douple is actively working to bring a MVC school into the Summit. I think/hope that is a real possibility. He has proven VERY nimble at navigating these waters and has pretty much come out on the winning end every time conference membership issues come up.
                        To me, this is one of the more interesting and exciting possible outcomes that I think is very plausible. If the MVC adds another "Loyola", how long until the UNI and ISU's of the conference realize that the MVC is at best a shell of its former self and just a 1 bid league like the Summit, OVC, Big Sky, etc. I think they already see the writing on the wall with the Wichita rumors. I don't think it is unimaginable that the Summit could cannibalize some desirable schools. Or, that there is more extreme shake-up resulting in a complete Summit/MVC/OVC/BSC/mid-major reshuffling.

We need to align ourselves for long-term stability and growth. Not short-term "we have it pretty good right now, I hope no outside forces ever change our current reality". I think our stability comes with alignment of the 4 Dakota schools, specifically NDSU, whatever that conference is. If the MVC invites all 4 of us and the rest want to go, would we really sit here and say "but the conference tournament is in SF, we're good where we are at"? This reminds me a little of our move to D1. We were proactive in our approach while others were nay-sayers and wanted the status quo because it was convenient and nice. We saw how those different approaches have worked out for all schools involved.

I'm rambling, but I think change is on the horizon. I hope we are on the right side of this change.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

There is zero chance the MVC lets us take UNI, like ever. I know you aren't saying what will happen, but there's no way that happens.

I'm personally torn on this topic tbh. It's been gone over more than once on AGS. On one hand I don't like the idea of joining the MVC because it's declined to a point where it has to accept us. On the other hand the MVC has the majority of its schools more committed $ wise (in coaches salaries, etc) than the vast majority of Summit teams. I mean UNI pays their coach $1 mil. Let's be honest, so far every conference the xDSUs have joined we have raised the level of the conference, whether it's football or basketball. If you think about it, what conference has the highest ceiling? Do you honestly expect IUPUI, IPFW, and UNO to be able to up their game to the same level of a UNI, ISUr, MSU? The Summit has been gaining ground on the MVC, with WSU leaving it gets even closer. However with the xDSUs being the engine for growth where they go, isn't it possible to think that adding both of us would help bring the MVC back? I mean since we joined the Summit it's gone from a low major to a mid major with an upward trajectory, imagine what could happen if we got into a conference that already has a pedigree? It very well could be something that launches SDSU into a level we don't really contemplate as possible in the Summit. I think that basing our decision on the SLT is incredibly short sighted and greedy as fans due to the ease of attendance.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I think if SDSU alone gets offered nothing happens, but if we get offered with NDSU, then things get interesting. And don't forget our UNI connections, not just in football but in our administration. Add to it the recent balance of power in the MVFC being tilted in favor of Summit teams, I could see the football schools campaigning hard to add the xDSUs. There's no way you can look at what's going on at our schools and tell me that UNO and others are somehow more attractive to the MVC in any way other than geography. If the MVC looks at where it screwed up to lose Creighton and WSU thy will be strongly considering us, or they will keep on their same track and get someone like UMKC and UNI will be frantically looking to ditch that conference, which could lead to a FBS jump if necessary for them. Basketball runs that school, and from the people I talk to from down there they will do whatever is necessary to keep their program where is best for basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

The Summit would need to start football if it was going to take away teams from the MV. The MV won't let the teams leave the conference and still play in the MVFC. Just another reason it won't happen.
                            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                              There is zero chance the MVC lets us take UNI, like ever. I know you aren't saying what will happen, but there's no way that happens.

A straight-up merger of the two leagues is probably more likely than my little fantasy scenario.

I can easily see the Valley inviting NDSU and SDSU though. Both have recent NCAA men's BB experience, and that's really all the Valley cares about.

They might also go raid the Horizon for another school or two. Oakland would probably be high on their list.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                                The Summit would need to start football if it was going to take away teams from the MV. The MV won't let the teams leave the conference and still play in the MVFC. Just another reason it won't happen.
                                The MVFC has zero affiliation with the MVC other than a few schools who happen to be in the MVC. The MVC has no power over who stays in the MVFC or who doesn't. The MVFC is a completely separate entity where the only power the MVC has is through the votes of schools who happen to be in it for other sports, just as the Summit does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Working...
                                X