Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wichita State leaves MVC for AAC

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
    Adding Loyola has been a disaster for the MVC, I think that has cooled the league on big market expansion.
    I'm not as convinced. I think the MVC has some pretty big heads that have yet to shrink even after losing their top 2 schools. Ultimately, we all have to wait until after Sunday to see what they're going to do. I think anything that comes out the next couple days about schools going to the MVC is purely speculation. The Valley could have a very different idea than what everyone else expects them to do after their meeting.
    Rollin' in my 5.0
    With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
    Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      My question is how the hell they couldn't see that coming?
      I think they wanted Belmont and when that fell through they kind of ended up stuck with Loyola.

The Valley has really dropped the ball on expansion, the league is very reactive. Part of the problem with that league is you have a faction of public football schools and faction of private schools and I'm not exactly sure that they are on the same page.

Comment

I am curious what Douple has planned for the Summit. I can picture us losing between 1 to 3 schools by the time all of the shuffling is done.

Comment

• Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
          I would rather see the Summit get aggressive and see if we can't poach the Montana schools and look to make our own football conference. The arrogance of the MVC schools (at least their board fans) makes me want to have no part of them in any sport. When they are more interested in UMKC, Denver, or Omaha than us it tells me they really aren't looking to improve that conference.
          I think I might have something to do with the fact that they don't want to become as irrelevant in basketball as they have in football with the xDSU's around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

I hope the Summit expands,you have to have some leeway now days in regard to being able to survive these "re-alignment" periods that seem to pop up in an ever increasing regularity it seems.Let's face it,any school in any conference will bolt to another conference if they figure it's a step in the right direction.

Not too impressed with the direction the MVC has been moving,they're getting weaker every time they lose a member.Pick and choose when you're strong,instead of "settling for" when you appear to be in a position of weakness, and are perhaps a little less in a position to be able to be as choosy as you'd like to be.

On a side note ,what good is a "big market" if nobody cares for your team in that market,no one enjoys watching teams lose so.... it just seems worthless if you ask me.
            Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-08-2017, 08:51 AM.

Comment

I guess UMKC wants into the Valley...Sounds like their WAC move is really paying off dividends for them...

Wilson estimates that UMKC spends about 20 percent of its budget on travel for its teams, and “it would be great” if somehow the Kangaroos could cut that in half by moving into a conference where most of its members are in the Midwest.

“The WAC is every competitive and that’s been a plus for all of our teams,” Wilson said. “The travel is a challenge with the missed class time, and the dollars associated with travel a time when the University of Missouri system is facing cuts.”
              http://www.kansascity.com/sports/col...143330799.html

Comment

I guess UMKC wants into the Valley...Sounds like their WAC move is really paying off dividends for them...
                I'll go on record and A. laugh about this and say that B. if this happens UNI will want out of the valley within the next 5 years. (unless they pick a Belmont, Murray State, and or Oakland Caliber team as well)

Comment

Wilson estimates that UMKC spends about 20 percent of its budget on travel for its teams, and “it would be great” if somehow the Kangaroos could cut that in half by moving into a conference where most of its members are in the Midwest.

“The WAC is every competitive and that’s been a plus for all of our teams,” Wilson said. “The travel is a challenge with the missed class time, and the dollars associated with travel a time when the University of Missouri system is facing cuts.”

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/col...143330799.html
                  Well first off, UMKC was in a midwest conference and left for the WAC. That really did increase their travel expenses and is hard on the student-athlete ability to attend class. So not sure why he is complaining about travel expenses, when they knew that when they left the Summit. Secondly, if UMKC is competitive in a conference, then that conference is not very good. I am still glad that UMKC is not in our conference.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

If the MVC poaches the Ohio Valley and Horizon conferences and those conferences poach IPFW, IUPUI and WIU, and the Summit can get a Northern Colorado to come with the already announced UND, and maybe even a UMKC would the fans accept it?

If you could get the Montana schools or even a Northern Arizona, Grand Canyon or New Mexico St what would you say? Or would one of those Texas schools make sense? A long time ago I made a list of schools I'd look at on this forum, some have been added already.

Right now with SDSU, NDSU, USD, UND, Omaha, Denver and Oral Roberts does it make more sense to hold the east flank or does it make more sense to expand to the west? I know baseball could be an issue but you could probably go find an associate member if you had to

Comment

My ideal conference affiliation for basketball/football would be a 10 team football conference (the existing MVFC, but with UND substituted for YSU... I'll miss Bo though (not really)). Then a 14 team basketball conference by adding Omaha, Denver, Oral Roberts, and Wichita State (this ship has probably sailed, but add in any other solid basketball school that doesn't have football). This would require the Missouri Valley basketball conference to collapse, but in reality, it could be headed that way essentially. So it would look like this, with the basketball only teams denoted by asterisks. The only major problem I see is being so tied with Illinois schools and their budget issues.

SDSU
                      USD
                      NDSU
                      UND (replace YSU)
                      UNI
                      WIU
                      ISUr
                      ISUb
                      SIU
                      MSU
                      *Omaha
                      *Denver
                      *Oral Roberts
                      *Wichita State (or other solid basketball only school)

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                        My ideal conference affiliation for basketball/football would be a 10 team football conference (the existing MVFC, but with UND substituted for YSU... I'll miss Bo though (not really)). Then a 14 team basketball conference by adding Omaha, Denver, Oral Roberts, and Wichita State (this ship has probably sailed, but add in any other solid basketball school that doesn't have football). This would require the Missouri Valley basketball conference to collapse, but in reality, it could be headed that way essentially. So it would look like this, with the basketball only teams denoted by asterisks. The only major problem I see is being so tied with Illinois schools and their budget issues.

SDSU
                        USD
                        NDSU
                        UND (replace YSU)
                        UNI
                        WIU
                        ISUr
                        ISUb
                        SIU
                        MSU
                        *Omaha
                        *Denver
                        *Oral Roberts
                        Why so many?

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

SDSU
                          USD
                          NDSU
                          UND (replace YSU)
                          UNI
                          WIU
                          ISUr
                          ISUb
                          SIU
                          MSU
                          *Omaha
                          *Denver
                          *Oral Roberts
                          This would be great, but Wichita State is never happening, and I'd be fine ditching ORU.

12 team league would be better than 14 anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                            Why so many?
                            I was thinking to be able to strengthen the basketball side of the conference. I like Jacks-02 suggestion of forgetting about Wichita or someone else and ditching ORU. 12 teams would be great. Done deal... Put it to a vote?

Comment

We can dream all we want but I just don't see schools in Illinois who don't have to be in the Summit League joining the Summit League. I ? the motive if SDSU/NDSU would join the MVC without a Wichita St. I ? whether MVC would want to poach a school on the west of their Region when there aren't any other schools over there.

So if I'm the MVC, I go after Murray State, Belmont (OVC) and Valparaiso (Horizon). OVC has 12 members right now, so they could lose 2 and not feel a ton of pain. Maybe they go after a Horizon League School (Youngstown St.), maybe they go after a Texas school? Or they could go after an IPFW, IUPUI or a WIU (I don't see them having interest in any of the 3)

Now the Horizon is a little bit different. If they lose 1-2 schools to the MVC or if Youngstown went to the Ohio Valley Conference they would probably seek a school or two to join. I could see them going after an IPFW, but I don't see them wanting to get into the Dakota's. (But I've been wrong before)

So worst case scenario the Summit League (assuming the Dakota schools don't leave) loses its eastern flank, who do you go after.

Here are some schools I've looked at

University Arkansas Little-Rock- Will always be brought up they are in the Sun Belt now, I'm not sure if they would leave, or if they could leave, or if they are stable in the Sun Belt (has baseball, real nice facility)

The university of Missouri-Kansas City- Were in the Summit League, I've always viewed this school as what if. They have a metro area, they have the chance to get a following but they screw something up right when it seems they have a chance to figure things out. (announced they were going to add baseball, never happened)

The university of Northern Colorado- Same as UND until they were announced, if you can figure out the football side of things they'd already have joined. (have baseball)

Grand Canyon University (Phoenix, AZ)- Will be full-fledged D-I next yr, play in a solid arena, actually have a solid following in Phoenix. Have been solid on the floor during transition, and would be an interesting school (they also have baseball)

Others- New Mexico State, Northern Arizona, Central Arkansas, the University of North Texas (all have football angle to figure out)

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                                We can dream all we want but I just don't see schools in Illinois who don't have to be in the Summit League joining the Summit League. I ? the motive if SDSU/NDSU would join the MVC without a Wichita St. I ? whether MVC would want to poach a school on the west of their Region when there aren't any other schools over there.

So if I'm the MVC, I go after Murray State, Belmont (OVC) and Valparaiso (Horizon). OVC has 12 members right now, so they could lose 2 and not feel a ton of pain. Maybe they go after a Horizon League School (Youngstown St.), maybe they go after a Texas school? Or they could go after an IPFW, IUPUI or a WIU (I don't see them having interest in any of the 3)

Now the Horizon is a little bit different. If they lose 1-2 schools to the MVC or if Youngstown went to the Ohio Valley Conference they would probably seek a school or two to join. I could see them going after an IPFW, but I don't see them wanting to get into the Dakota's. (But I've been wrong before)

So worst case scenario the Summit League (assuming the Dakota schools don't leave) loses its eastern flank, who do you go after.

Here are some schools I've looked at

University Arkansas Little-Rock- Will always be brought up they are in the Sun Belt now, I'm not sure if they would leave, or if they could leave, or if they are stable in the Sun Belt (has baseball, real nice facility)

The university of Missouri-Kansas City- Were in the Summit League, I've always viewed this school as what if. They have a metro area, they have the chance to get a following but they screw something up right when it seems they have a chance to figure things out. (announced they were going to add baseball, never happened)

The university of Northern Colorado- Same as UND until they were announced, if you can figure out the football side of things they'd already have joined. (have baseball)

Grand Canyon University (Phoenix, AZ)- Will be full-fledged D-I next yr, play in a solid arena, actually have a solid following in Phoenix. Have been solid on the floor during transition, and would be an interesting school (they also have baseball)

Others- New Mexico State, Northern Arizona, Central Arkansas, the University of North Texas (all have football angle to figure out)
                                I just wonder if this shake up started by Wichita St going to the AAC and leaving the MVC, will stay confined to the midwest mainly,or spread further out.Those not affected by getting members poached may favor stability in their conference for now.If everyone suddenly wants to move,this could really esculate in to a real mess before all's said and done.How many dominos will fall?It should be real interesting to see how it all ends up.

Comment

Working...
                                X