Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 282

Thread: Wichita State Leaving MVC

  1. #221
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Yankton
    Posts
    3,404

    Default Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

    Quote Originally Posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    Why leave a one bid conference for another one bid conference that has slightly higher competition and thus more difficult to reach the tournament and higher travel costs.
    And the fun doesn't stop there... You also get to walk away from the biggest event in SD sports history leaving thousands of fans that cherish it in the dust. So many mid-major teams would kill to have the setup we do. But, oh well, at least we would get to experience the tail-end of the Creighton/WSU NCAA tournament money and be a part of a TV deal that I'm sure networks will be tripping all over themselves to continue in a few years. Nothing says ratings like a steady dose of Bradley, Evansville, Missouri State and Loyola!

  2. #222
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fargo
    Posts
    1,026

    Default Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

    Hearing Murray State and Valpo being added to the MVC. Could lead to Murray St being added to the MVFC. Which will really help with the unbalanced nature of the schedule for football with UND being added (he said sarcastically).

  3. #223
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Auburn, NE
    Posts
    766

    Default Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

    Quote Originally Posted by thumper_76 View Post
    Hearing Murray State and Valpo being added to the MVC. Could lead to Murray St being added to the MVFC. Which will really help with the unbalanced nature of the schedule for football with UND being added (he said sarcastically).

    Wonder if the Horizon League and the OVC will try and get Fort Wayne and IUPUI. IUPUI is within the OVC footprint and Fort Wayne is within the Horizon footprint. Not sure if they would be interested due to the alphabet soup names and not so great fan support.

  4. #224
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brookings
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

    Based off what the IUPUI women's coach said at halftime of the conference tourney game against us, I don't think he would be opposed to not playing in Sioux Falls ever again. Both their men's and women's teams would probably be the favorite to step in and lose to Belmont in the OVC championship game year one since the OVC is crap.

    As for the Horizon, the Fort Wayne men currently would make a good addition, but in general their attendance and pay scale for coaching isn't in the ballpark for most Horizon schools I don't think. But this is probably there best chance to get in the Horizon if that is actually in play.

    The idea of adding Murray State to the MVFC just to support the Valley basketball side is about enough to make me sick. Seriously, let's contact the Montana Schools, Northern Colorado, and one other school and let's get a Summit Football Conference going. Tell the MVC in general to take a leap and let them continue their slow death march without us. I certainly like the idea of this:

    Summit League Football Conference
    SDSU
    NDSU
    USD
    UND
    Western Illinois
    Montana
    Montana State
    UNC
    One other (heck, even invite Southern Utah back or add someone like Weber State)

    That leaves us with Olympic only sports schools of:
    UNO
    ORU
    Denver

    So a 12 team conference which certainly seems manageable. The 9 team football conference seems ideal. To me it just seems that the Dakota Schools and the Montana schools share a similar vision which I don't think are the same as the IUPUI and IPFW's of the world. I guess I personally think we could build much better rivals (and improve attendance) by playing the Montana schools versus the alphabet soup schools.

    Leaves the MVFC looking like this:

    UNI
    ISUr
    ISUb
    Missouri State
    Youngstown
    SIU
    Murray State

    They would probably need to add some more teams, but leaves them with the geography they like. Between UNI, ISUr, and Youngstown they would still have quality teams at the top, but the bottom is very weak (kind of Big Sky like...). They don't seem to like the travel to the Dakota's anyway, so they should love this.

    But at the end of the day, I would like to see the Summit be aggressive and try and grow with similar institutions rather than sit back and be poached by others. If we were able to add the core I listed, the eventual loss of ORU and Denver really wouldn't be much of an issue for us.
    Last edited by SteelSD; 04-21-2017 at 11:47 AM.

  5. #225
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Hamlin County
    Posts
    4,330

    Default Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

    SteelSD; what did the IUPUI coach have to say during the SLT? I missed that statement.

  6. #226
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brookings
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

    Quote Originally Posted by OldHare View Post
    SteelSD; what did the IUPUI coach have to say during the SLT? I missed that statement.
    Made a comment about being the higher seed and the opponents crowd being so loud his players couldn't even communicate. Don't recall the exact words but in essence "We are the higher seed but feels like we are playing on the road." Mitchell might recall the exact words.

  7. #227
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Hamlin County
    Posts
    4,330

    Default Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Made a comment about being the higher seed and the opponents crowd being so loud his players couldn't even communicate. Don't recall the exact words but in essence "We are the higher seed but feels like we are playing on the road." Mitchell might recall the exact words.
    Home court advantage for Jags is 145 people and an echo from bouncing the ball. The worse part for the Jags was beating the Jackrabbits and then losing to the Leathernecks. The South Dakota teams were sitting in the crowd is a missed opportunity for a women's team in the Summit.

  8. #228
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Worthington,MN
    Posts
    3,806

    Default Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

    Perhaps the coach should ask his AD if he likes the check they receive as their share of the payout.

  9. #229

    Default Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Based off what the IUPUI women's coach said at halftime of the conference tourney game against us, I don't think he would be opposed to not playing in Sioux Falls ever again. Both their men's and women's teams would probably be the favorite to step in and lose to Belmont in the OVC championship game year one since the OVC is crap.

    As for the Horizon, the Fort Wayne men currently would make a good addition, but in general their attendance and pay scale for coaching isn't in the ballpark for most Horizon schools I don't think. But this is probably there best chance to get in the Horizon if that is actually in play.

    The idea of adding Murray State to the MVFC just to support the Valley basketball side is about enough to make me sick. Seriously, let's contact the Montana Schools, Northern Colorado, and one other school and let's get a Summit Football Conference going. Tell the MVC in general to take a leap and let them continue their slow death march without us. I certainly like the idea of this:

    Summit League Football Conference
    SDSU
    NDSU
    USD
    UND
    Western Illinois
    Montana
    Montana State
    UNC
    One other (heck, even invite Southern Utah back or add someone like Weber State)

    That leaves us with Olympic only sports schools of:
    UNO
    ORU
    Denver

    So a 12 team conference which certainly seems manageable. The 9 team football conference seems ideal. To me it just seems that the Dakota Schools and the Montana schools share a similar vision which I don't think are the same as the IUPUI and IPFW's of the world. I guess I personally think we could build much better rivals (and improve attendance) by playing the Montana schools versus the alphabet soup schools.

    Leaves the MVFC looking like this:

    UNI
    ISUr
    ISUb
    Missouri State
    Youngstown
    SIU
    Murray State

    They would probably need to add some more teams, but leaves them with the geography they like. Between UNI, ISUr, and Youngstown they would still have quality teams at the top, but the bottom is very weak (kind of Big Sky like...). They don't seem to like the travel to the Dakota's anyway, so they should love this.

    But at the end of the day, I would like to see the Summit be aggressive and try and grow with similar institutions rather than sit back and be poached by others. If we were able to add the core I listed, the eventual loss of ORU and Denver really wouldn't be much of an issue for us.
    I would love to add the Montana schools but I don't think it would make any sense on their part. They would give up a couple of bus trips a year for schools that are on average over a 1000 miles away. Macomb and Tulsa would be about 1500 away from Missoula.

    Then you would ask them to run the Dakota gauntlet for a football playoff spot and play in brookings south for the basketball bid.....wouldn't make any sense to give up geographic rivalry games for that.

  10. #230
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Hamlin County
    Posts
    4,330

    Default Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

    Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaJack View Post
    I would love to add the Montana schools but I don't think it would make any sense on their part. They would give up a couple of bus trips a year for schools that are on average over a 1000 miles away. Macomb and Tulsa would be about 1500 away from Missoula.

    Then you would ask them to run the Dakota gauntlet for a football playoff spot and play in brookings south for the basketball bid.....wouldn't make any sense to give up geographic rivalry games for that.
    Jackrabbit football will make the trip to Bozeman in September. It is 300 miles further than Macomb which means a flight.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •