Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wichita State Leaving MVC

Default Wichita State Leaving MVC

Sounds like the possibility of Wichita State leaving the Missouri Valley is closer to happening. Not a done deal yet but this could have a trickle down effect to any and all of the Dakota schools.

If WSU does go, the Summit League will be nervous. And the future of the SL tourney in Sioux Falls could be affected. MVC tourney has historically been hosted in St. Louis and draws far better than the SL tourney:

Capture.PNG

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/s...state-shockers

Default Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

Quote Originally Posted by BTownJack View Post
    Sounds like the possibility of Wichita State leaving the Missouri Valley is closer to happening. Not a done deal yet but this could have a trickle down effect to any and all of the Dakota schools.

If WSU does go, the Summit League will be nervous. And the future of the SL tourney in Sioux Falls could be affected. MVC tourney has historically been hosted in St. Louis and draws far better than the SL tourney:

Capture.PNG

Maybe MVC should be nervous. Is MVC without Witchita St. that much of a better league than Summit.

I would agree with you but historical reputation sides with the MVC by a long ways. It will be interesting how this plays out.

19 team mid-major super conference? MVC & SL merger?

I don't see that happening but man that would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by BTownJack View Post
    And the future of the SL tourney in Sioux Falls could be affected. MVC tourney has historically been hosted in St. Louis and draws far better than the SL tourney:

Capture.PNG

The MVC does draw more total fans, but you need to look at the total picture.

2017 Men's Conference Championship Comparison

MVC: 46,697 total fans
    Nine games: 5,189 fans/game
    Five sessions: 9,339 fans/session
    Championship game: 11,744

Summit: 39,912 total fans
    Seven games: 5,702 fans/game
    Four sessions: 9,978 fans/session
    Championship game: 9,441

I'd rather average 9,978 fans in an 12,000 arena than 9,339 fans in a 22,000 seat arena. The Summit is trending up in attendance while the MVC is going the other way. I didn't even compare the women's attendance numbers and I'd venture to say the Summit cleans up in that comparison.

When you take away Creighton and Wichita State in consecutive years, that conference is losing a lot! Sioux Falls is a great place to watch a conference championship.

This potential move by Wichita State is very intriguing to me. It directly impacts universities that we compete in football with and will most likely have cascading affects on SDSU/Summit. It will be interesting to see where this ends, but it could be years before all of the dominoes fall.

They'd lose a large chunk of that attendance number if Wichita State leaves.

Would be interesting if the MVC just dissolved like the old Big East did, the football schools could form a pretty good conference but the private schools probably not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherHole View Post
    The MVC does draw more total fans, but you need to look at the total picture.

2017 Men's Conference Championship Comparison

MVC: 46,697 total fans
    Nine games: 5,189 fans/game
    Five sessions: 9,339 fans/session
    Championship game: 11,744

Summit: 39,912 total fans
    Seven games: 5,702 fans/game
    Four sessions: 9,978 fans/session
    Championship game: 9,441

I'd rather average 9,978 fans in an 12,000 arena than 9,339 fans in a 22,000 seat arena. The Summit is trending up in attendance while the MVC is going the other way. I didn't even compare the women's attendance numbers and I'd venture to say the Summit cleans up in that comparison.

When you take away Creighton and Wichita State in consecutive years, that conference is losing a lot! Sioux Falls is a great place to watch a conference championship.
    Creighton has been gone for 4 years.

The last time the MVC needed a new team to replace Creighton, they went for Loyola of Chicago from the Horizon League. That seemed a strange choice to me. But they seem to only want schools from larger metropolitan areas. UMKC was supposedly a stronger contender as well. I doubt that they would pursue any of the Summit League schools. Denver is to far away although they were supposedly considered last time. Oral Roberts was supposedly very interested but not considered strongly last time. ORU would provide a travel partner with Missouri State with Wichita State gone which might get them more consideration. I could see them going for Valparaiso which is in the center of their footprint or perhaps Belmont which wouldn't be to far from Evansville. In any case, at most the effect on the Summit would be the loss of one team and we would be back to the nine where we are at now.

IMHO there is no way SDSU or USD could switch even if invited. The loss of the Summit League tournament in Sioux Falls would be a huge public relations disaster for the one leaving as well as the the competitive edge of playing "home games" in the bids for the big dance would be to great. And with Wichita State gone, the Summit is arguable as good or perhaps even a better league.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit74 View Post
    The last time the MVC needed a new team to replace Creighton, they went for Loyola of Chicago from the Horizon League. That seemed a strange choice to me. But they seem to only want schools from larger metropolitan areas. UMKC was supposedly a stronger contender as well. I doubt that they would pursue any of the Summit League schools. Denver is to far away although they were supposedly considered last time. Oral Roberts was supposedly very interested but not considered strongly last time. ORU would provide a travel partner with Missouri State with Wichita State gone which might get them more consideration. I could see them going for Valparaiso which is in the center of their footprint or perhaps Belmont which wouldn't be to far from Evansville. In any case, at most the effect on the Summit would be the loss of one team and we would be back to the nine where we are at now.
    Omaha?